Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what the ???

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
is it just me, or is this a really, really bad idea oh for so many reasons?? :confused:

http://www.hardwoodhideaway.com/

heidiho
December 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
Just looking at it kicks in my claustraphobia

LavenderRott
December 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
Actually, for those of us that live in relatively small spaces, having a crate that can double as an end table would be a wonderful thing.

I saw some at a dogshow the year before last but they were a bit out of my price range. I must say - the body of the crate was much more open then the one in your link.

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
they look like tiny jail cells to me, no ventilation and thick bars... i wonder how many dogs chew out of it in a few hours (dogs love to chew wood :rolleyes: ). we use the top of our wire dog crate to store tons of stuff, works fine. you can even put a sheet of wood on it for stability... :o

LavenderRott
December 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM
they look like tiny jail cells to me, no ventilation and thick bars... i wonder how many dogs chew out of it in a few hours (dogs love to chew wood :rolleyes: ). we use the top of our wire dog crate to store tons of stuff, works fine. you can even put a sheet of wood on it for stability... :o

The ones I saw were MUCH more open. I don't like the ones in your link - they do look rather dark, like a cell. But....since my Rusty uses an airline crate at night, it probably isn't much worse then what he is in now.

Like I said, I liked the ones I saw at the show. It looked much like a regular wire crate with a lovely wooden top and frame.

I have used a wire crate with a sheet of wood on top - but I would really like my house to look a little more "put together" then that in the future.

Puppyluv
December 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Why does it look like the latches are photoshopped? seems sketchy...

pitgrrl
December 1st, 2006, 08:56 PM
OMG, it looks like the crate for dog owners who don't like dogs.

"The Hardwood Hideaway is perfect for families with
young children; The Hardwood Hideaway creates a
separate room for your dog-- no more pillow sitting in the
middle of your room or ugly airline crate tucked into a
corner."

Heavens, not a dog bed in the middle of the floor! The horror!

TeriM
December 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Looks like a coffin to me. :eek:

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM
"out of sight, out of mind"... wonder if it comes with a muzzle for silencing those annoying barks too... :eek:

H.P.
December 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Well, I think that they are beautiful, and would be great for storage of supplies, but not to put the baby in!

hazelrunpack
December 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
I'd get one, but it doesn't match the "Orvis dog nest"/airline crate decor I have in my living room. :D I think we're the only house in the township with more dog furniture than people furniture! :crazy:

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2006, 10:45 PM
I like it in principal.. It's kinda why I was looking at the covers on dog.com.. I wanted it to look less sterile.. I like her crate tag, it personalizes it. But I can see the want to make it look 'nice'. It looks okay with the pic with the dog sticking it's head out.. Kinda cold with the 'bars' in it though.

The average person who would likely want one though would want it kept closed to be neat and tidy.. not open to be that den to come and go from eh..

Mocha's mum
December 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Ha ha ha...OMG, that has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while....

Seriously though, it reminds me of the 'junk drawer'....you know, where you stash miscellaneous odds and ends that really don't have a 'place'. I'm not talking about a pet.....sorry if anyone thought that :(

I don't like the fact that it locks though. Especially if there are small children around....

LL1
December 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
I am not a big crate fan but it does not look much different than a vari-kennel aside from being more pretty.

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
To me it looks like ; oh,how nice, I can put my dog in his little prison so he won't bother anyone and what do you know, I can use it as a coffe table too , how fashionable ! :frustrated:

LL1
December 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Must admit I think of most crates that way Frenchy.

LavenderRott
December 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
To me it looks like ; oh,how nice, I can put my dog in his little prison so he won't bother anyone and what do you know, I can use it as a coffe table too , how fashionable ! :frustrated:

Wow. That is a pretty handy generalization.

My family of 3 lives in a 900 sq. foot apartment. Rusty must be crated at night or he barks at everything and chews on things that are inappropriate.

So, yes - it would be nice if his crate could double as a coffee table. Actually, since Rusty's crate is kept in my room - it would be great if I could have a place to set the alarm clock.

technodoll
December 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
lavenderrott, why not put a nice plank of wood on top of the crate so it can double as a handy surface to store things?.. lots of folks do that (says mom & dad of two big dogs who all share a badly-designed 800sft of living space) ;)

the issue i have with these "designer spaces" is that they are coated with multiple layers of chemicals to keep the wood from warping, being scratched, etc: now put yourself in a small, ill-ventilated space constructed of this material and see if your lungs can handle it :( and dogs, natural chewers of wood, would no doubt make a nice mess of these little cute "coffins". padlock, anyone? :frustrated:

ps: oh the doggy destroyed the expensive coffee table, must dump him off at the spca then! bad doggy!

LavenderRott
December 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well, since I can't afford the fancy crate, the plank of wood has worked in the past and will probably work again in the future.

I just get annoyed when I see generalizations about how bad people must be to want something nice to go in their living space. While the wooden crates in your links aren't the nicest (from a dog point of view) the ones that I was looking at were very open and not varnished to the point of crazy. And since my dog has never, ever chewed on wood - one of those would look very nice in my living space.

technodoll
December 2nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
While the wooden crates in your links aren't the nicest (from a dog point of view) the ones that I was looking at were very open and not varnished to the point of crazy

since i never saw the ones you did, i'm only going on the ones in the website link i posted... they really creeped me out, is all i can say. but yes i too would not mind something that looks as nice as it is functional, who wouldn't? :rolleyes: i just would never buy one of these torture chambers!

http://www.hardwoodhideaway.com/images/Units.JPG

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
I just get annoyed when I see generalizations about how bad people must be to want something nice to go in their living space.

A coffee table is furniture,it can last for years. A crate is a training tool. Like in training a puppy ....

LavenderRott
December 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
A coffee table is furniture,it can last for years. A crate is a training tool. Like in training a puppy ....

I know lots of people who have crates in their homes for the life of their dogs for various reasons. My brother's 5 year old boxer can't be trusted loose in the house when alone or unattended so he must be crated when the no one is home and at night. My Rusty spends nights in his crate and will probably do so for at least another year as he still has occasional accidents.

Technodoll - I really wish I could remember the link for the ones that I was looking at. They really are much more open and "cratelike", yet nice enough to put in a nice living room.

LL1
December 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
I guess one persons crate is another persons torture chamber. :shrug:

meb999
December 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
I guess one persons crate is another persons torture chamber.

Really? hmmmm, strange that Buster begs for his torture chamber....

technodoll
December 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
LL1, you do see the best in everyone's posts, don't you? :)

mafiaprincess
December 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Keeps my dog safe not chewing on electrical cables, stuff that could cause a blockage so I can make money to pay for stuff for her. Gee I'm just horrible. How dare I torture my dog.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
December 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Joey will sometimes go in his crate on his own and hang out - the door is always left open - I like the idea of it - but its too closed in. :D

Prin
December 3rd, 2006, 12:52 AM
I don't crate... But if I had to one day, it would definitely not be one of those.:eek:

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM
Very handsome Mission-syle furniture but it reminds me of solitary confinement. LavenderRott ~ if there is a website for the show where you saw the others, the list of exhibitors is likely on the website. I don't crate but I think if one does crate and lives in a small space, it's a great thing.

OntarioGreys
December 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Greyhound crates are normally quite big, mine is 48 X30X36 so they do take up a lot of space

Here is a pattern for making a table to go over the crate
http://www.bark.addr.com/pat/table/table.html

LavenderRott
December 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Very handsome Mission-syle furniture but it reminds me of solitary confinement. LavenderRott ~ if there is a website for the show where you saw the others, the list of exhibitors is likely on the website. I don't crate but I think if one does crate and lives in a small space, it's a great thing.

That show was a couple of years ago. But I did happen to remember that I had posted about them on my rottweiler group - so I searched and found this!

http://www.customcozycrates.freewebpages.org/DSC00011-1.JPG

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Can't see it LavenderRott...it's just an X in a box.

LavenderRott
December 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Dog gone it!

Here is a link. http://www.customcozycrates.freewebpages.org/

If you go to the picture page, there is a good picture of a very open crate. Yes, they do have a couple that look a bit more enclosed but these are custom made - so you could have one made however you wanted.

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
now those look completely different! (breathes big sigh of relief). i can see doggies enjoying that, good ventilation, sturdy-looking, combines function and form. at least these don't look like closed-in coffins! :thumbs up

LL1
December 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
LL1, you do see the best in everyone's posts, don't you? :)

You said you thought they were torture chambers,and I said some people feel the same about all crates.Not a big deal really.

LavenderRott
December 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
now those look completely different! (breathes big sigh of relief). i can see doggies enjoying that, good ventilation, sturdy-looking, combines function and form. at least these don't look like closed-in coffins! :thumbs up

See - I am not a complete monster! :D

I wonder what one costs that would hold a full grown Bouvier? I guess I had better start saving my pennies.

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
You said you thought they were torture chambers,and I said some people feel the same about all crates

no, i said these particular closed-in wooden crates we were originally talking about looked like torture chambers. please stop mis-quoting me.

LL1
December 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
I didnt misquote you,it was obvious to me anyway that you were referring to them.

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
ah OK LL1. it just wasn't obvious to me what you were talking about :cool:

meb999
December 3rd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Dog gone it!

Here is a link. http://www.customcozycrates.freewebpages.org/

If you go to the picture page, there is a good picture of a very open crate. Yes, they do have a couple that look a bit more enclosed but these are custom made - so you could have one made however you wanted.

Those are pretty nice....not at all like the super-closed up ones that Techno posted (not even in the same league!!)

I like this one :

meb999
December 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
You said you thought they were torture chambers,and I said some people feel the same about all crates.Not a big deal really.

You're very lucky never to have had a doggy with anxiety problems :thumbs up

LL1
December 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Actually I didnt said that.

LavenderRott
December 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Those are pretty nice....not at all like the super-closed up ones that Techno posted (not even in the same league!!)

I like this one :

And since they are custom made, you can pick the kind of wood and hardware and everything. They are a bit pricey though.

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
They're definitely not something I'd buy. The ones TD posted look like torture chambers. The ones LavenderRott posted aren't near as bad but my lab would have himself chewed out in no time. :eek:

Tommysmom
December 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
The second style posted looks so nice - heaven knows I could use another table! My doggy is too claustrophobic though, I think. We have a wire crate, and he likes that, but we also had a semi-enclosed one for the car and well... let's just say that we have a car harness now. Last vet trip he decided he wanted to be able to see EVERYTHING around him and destroyed everything blocking his view! I don't think he'd ever tolerate walls:(

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
I like the cabinetry and finishing of those posted by technodoll but prefer the openness of those posted by LavenderRott. I wish the bars were a little more like decorative ironwork though ~ then they would be gorgeous !

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
he he he - maika loves to chew on ironwork... she'd snack on those "leaves" in no time flat :D (little bitch that she is...) LOL

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Good thing you don't have a fancy fence TD ~ she'd be a bloody mess come the first freeze-up !

I wonder why that is...her iron levels have got to good. Berrrrry, berry strange beanie-grrrrl.

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
she's terrible. the rusty ironwork around the balcony where she hangs out has bits and pieces missing where missy got to work. she loves shredding iron and tennis balls and gutting plush toys, since i won't give her a cat she's venting her frustrations in a variety of ways... but she has never put a tooth on her wire crate, or her bedding, our shoes, etc. Selective eh? :D

mummummum
December 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Rusty iron ! Yikes ! Good thing you don't live on a farm with a bunch of farm tools and rusty old tractors laying about!

Yup ~ she's one weird beanie. But at least I know where to send my cast iron frying pans when they're ready to go to the great beyond ! :D

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
i am LMAO!! :D the "iron beanette"! LOL

gosh to put her on a farm would be her heaven... all those mice to hunt... :cloud9:

LM1313
December 4th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Wood doesn't seem like such a great choice to me, unless you already know your dog isn't a chewer. And a lot of people crate their dogs because they're chewers . . . :/

HunterXHunter
December 4th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Your guest would be frightened when he/she sits down and suddenly your dog comes crawling out of the light stand/coffee table a la "The Ring" :clown:

Kristin7
December 4th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I like the idea of a crate that doubles as a piece of furniture, because I tend to like multifunctional things. However, if the dog doesn't like it, it would have to go back (assuming i bought one, which i have no plans to). How is the crate/coffee table more of a dungeon than those airline plastic crates? Don't some dogs love those? I use a metal crate, but right now it is only used to block off areas and make him feel more secure in the car. I can see the point that dogs would chew the wood but not that this is a dog prison any more than any other kind of crate. Seems like some dogs would prefer a more closed off den than an open air metal crate. And some wouldn't, of course. Speaking of crates, I saw one in a magazine recently that I liked. Check out this link:

http://www.barkslope.com/bow-haus-dog-crate.html

I like the way it is round, to accomodate a dog who likes sleeping curled up.

Kristin7
December 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Here is a pic

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM
That one I do like. :thumbs up

technodoll
December 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM
now THAT one is awesome :thumbs up very chic and very "open", i can imagine cats would love it too, LOL!

~michelle~
December 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM
i like the idea of the multifunctional, pretty crates however i would need to build a pretty big one for my huskys..... i guess they could function as a computer desks. i like the last one. it kinda looks like a fancy cocktail party table its sexy.... i think my little one would like it but i know the cats would steal it!however they are all too expensive for me so ugly wire crates for me for now. but right now i have them put away because the dogs are rocking at being left home alone :highfive: :thumbs up brax's anxiety has gone way down.... at least im pretty sure it has, fewer things chewed and no neighbour complaints about barking!

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM
either computer desks or maybe a fake washer and dryer, lol. :D

Fiach
December 5th, 2006, 11:07 AM
My dog would not use that. I wonder how many people force their dogs to use that! I would use it to keep her doggie things in but not her, she'd have none of it and look at me like I had gone bonkers overnight! Although, some dogs like smaller spaces, makes them feel secure so it could work for some people's pets.

erykah1310
December 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM
K, the first crate posted, seems to me like " companys coming lock the dog up so they dont see it" or something along those lines.
Im not a fan on crating... not condoning those who do, Im just not going to do it. To me the first one is just the recipe for disaster... like stated before what if the dog chews the "end table?" what happens then? Its not a crate its a piece of furniture.

Lavender, dang youre gonna need one heck of a "end table" for a Bouvier :D Perhaps you could rig up your kitchen table :shrug: :D