Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Homestyle Select?

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Bunch of people on another forum are raving about it. But they are generally the crowd feeding grocery store brands. Being that they are buying it from Walmart, it wouldn't rate high on my list, and the way the ingredients list is listed it's hard to read the order..

Anyone seen it up close and personal or know anything about it? Looks like the rolls of 'fresh' food sold at Petsmart now, but I've never really looked at them.

www.freshpet.net

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM
i doesn't look too bad actually, however i'm curious what they preserve it with (they don't say).

Ingredients
Fresh chicken, peas, fresh carrots, water sufficient for processing, liver, rice bran, brown rice, carrageenan, salt, garlic.

For a 120 lbs dog they recommend 3lbs of food per day, which is roughly the equivalent in raw food. is the chicken deboned? skin removed? is the food human-grade, or made with industry B-grade items? :confused:

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2006, 09:30 PM
One lady said her dogs wouldn't eat it.. and the chicken one smelled awful..
Those are my questions too Techno, grades of meat.. etc. Few people thought the feeding guidelines seemed like a ton of food, driving up what it would cost to feed.. but I've never seen it so I don't know what it costs.. what the expiry dates on it are like..

wdawson
December 1st, 2006, 10:29 PM
i think.....any food sold at a multi product mega store is not that good.........comes down to cost for the store , and maximizing the profit......you will never see solid gold or timberwolf organics beside ole roy......unless they really want to sell more ole roy....people that shop at these stores are there for the price not the quality.

Prin
December 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM
rice bran, brown rice --> breaking up the grains... not good..

I dunno, I just get a "they're hiding something" vibe from it...

Like the "hearty chunks" one?

Fresh chicken, fresh turkey, peas, water sufficient for processing, fresh carrots, liver, rice bran, soy flour, carrageenan, brown rice, wheat flour, salt, garlic. IMO, that's not at all made with the best interest of the dog in mind...:o

technodoll
December 3rd, 2006, 01:41 AM
yeah... like they say if "it's too good to be true", then it probably is ;)

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
I agree...... Anybody want to contact them? :D

http://www.freshpet.net/contactus.asp

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM
No thanks.:D :shrug:

HomestyleSelect
March 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Well have any of you ever read the label. There are no preservatives in the product because the shelf life in a freezer is only 14 weeks. And just beacause it is sold in walmart doesnt mean it is a poor product. It is actually in my opinion the only High Quality dog food that lives up to its standards that is states on the website. This food pretty much saved my dogs life. He had a severe skin diesease so i tryed changing his diet to this and somehow it cleared up. The vet was pretty surprised too. I have contacted the company and everything i stated here is true.

Prin
March 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Why are you so angry?

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
Although, I don't agree with all your comments, if it works for your dog then that's all that matters. Good luck. :fingerscr

Cram
March 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Well, I certainly don't think it's the worst food you could buy from Walmart. It seems to have a lot of meat and veggies, the rice bran and brewer's rice worry me, plus all the foods contain "liver" from an unspecified animal source. It doesn't contain any corn though, so that's a good thing. It might be considerable for me as a training treat (we already use Rollover as a training treat) but I'm not sure about that one....

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Why are you so angry?

And why are you using the name of the brand? That makes me suspicious frankly, do you also happen to work for this company ?

mafiaprincess
March 22nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
If you were a 'normal' consumer you wouldn't come on on a rampage..

Sine quality and some product is still unspecified.. no it's not the worst, but it's still not the best..

14 weeks shelf life.. You ever looked into the human section of walmart.. there's often expired dairy hanging around.. oops. Any bets on them checking to see if their dog food isn't past expiry?

angeldogs
March 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Mumx3.i was thinking the same thing.i noticed the name when i read the post.

I don't even by food from walmart or zellers for myself little lone for my creatures.

KitKatC
May 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I started using Homestyle a couple weeks ago and my dogs loved it. i did a little research and it turns out the product is pretty new on the market, which explains why its not a very well know product. if you guys know Meow Mix. This new company is run by the same people after meow mix got sold. Anyways, i also had the same concern about the rice and grain ingredient. But it turns out Brown Rice is an essential source of energy for dogs and its actually pretty good for them. although the ingredient might seem fishy.. bottom line is 70% is meat... so all the other ingredients are only 30% including the veggies they got in it. grain probably only lik 5-10%. As for where the liver comes from... thats a good question im gonna call them up and ask.

as far as the bais for walmart goes. i dont think walmart ONLY sells crap. for example, walmart carries most brand name cereal. cereal such as fruit loops, which i get for my dog as a treat, is fruit loop regardless of the store i get it from. i can easily go to another store thats considered upscale... and probably pay more for the same product. Most dog/cat food works this way... they pretty much have the same exact product, but change it up a bit (packaging or just the name) and sell it for twice as much at petsmart and petco. Its ridiculous! But I guess if you got the too much money, go for it. if you are really concern about the true quality a product, i found the best way is to find out is by calling or just by doing some research on the internet.

I hope this helps!
katie

sissani
May 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I made a post about it here http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38612&highlight=homestyle+select when I first saw it at my grocery store. Since it was available there, I knew immediately it couldnt be that good. :shrug: Its definately not the worst in the grocery store food family, but still wouldnt feed it.

KitKatC
May 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM
so i called the company today and it turns out the liver they use in Homestyle Select is Pork Liver

Pineapple
January 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
My dog's stomach was growling - it was not consistent - he was not hungry, so finally I tracked it to whenever I fed him this product he had problems. (I tried the free sample, used a couple of coupons, then did not use it again for a few weeks.) I put him back on his meat and veggie (I cook myself for him) and high quality dry food and he does much better. He is16 years old and in very good health other than his arthritis. Vet said give him 60% good food, 20% fresh meat, and 20% fresh veggies.

InError
February 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I ended up getting two of the homestyle select tubes two weeks ago as an addition to my two dogs dry food (wellness).

I see from this thread, plenty of people are either downing it or dismissing it out of hand because it is from a store not solely directed to pets.

I will say that so far, I do enjoy giving this to my dogs and they certainly do as well. I'm pretty sure at this point it will be a constant in their food.

I have a Boxer (Oscar - 3 1/2 years) and a Japanese Tosa (Kylie - 3-5). Both are great dogs. Oscar is very light for a Boxer and as always I would love for him to gain some weight. At first I was worried something was wrong with him, so numerous trips to the vet and testing. He's just a skinny guy.

Any owner of a dog knows their dog, and knows differences in their dog. While I am going to watch it and keep experimenting, Oscar is gaining weight and both dogs are noticeably more active.

There is no doubt the food is prohibitively expensive for most people as a sole diet, but to buy one tube and use it as an additive to whatever food you feed your dog is not that bad (roughly $30 a month).

Can't speak for some of the negative comments on here regarding it, but I will say that so far my girlfriends german shep and my two dogs are eating it as an accent to their meals without any issue with it. To Pineapple, I am no expert at all in these matters and someone is welcome to srike me down if I am wrong here but, you say your dog is 16 and you have had him on a homemade diet for some time right? If you decided to switch his food the way you stated ... it's only normal for the reaction to be abnormal. I can't see that being a cause from the dog food being bad, as much as it being because you all the sudden introducing something different as his meal.

One last thought. It's not that I take it as a personal insult from the postings in this thread. It's not even that I disagree with you (I in fact do agree that homemade is better than anything you will buy anywhere). It is somewhat disheartening to see the "higher than thou," attitude regarding food bought at certain stores. Some people cannot afford to buy certain brands, and some people can. Some people can afford the time for homemade meals, and some can't. When we are in such a horrid crysis surrounding domesticated animals and shelters, etc ... why not take that into mind. Does the brand of food or the lack of homemade food actually make the pets lives bad? No. All I can gleam from this thread is that a majority of you discount out of hand ANY food that isn't homemade ... which really isn't the point of the thread.

I personally feed my dogs wellness, with the new addition of the homestyle select serving. I don't see a problem with this. My dogs are healthly and happy. For treats, they get vet approved homemade treats.