Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Large size kibble

Aodhan
December 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hi and apologies in advance to the raw contingent (don't worry, I believe in the concept and might consider switching Aodhan to it, who absolutely loves his frozen raw bones he gets from the butcher and wouldn't mind eating a chicken or quail carcass).

I currently feed Aodhan, my 6-year old Irish setter, Innova adult dry food and I find the kibble quite small (more suitable for a cocker spaniel or a miniature Schnauzer in my opinion); my dog basically swallows 2/3 and crushes 1/3. I tried the large breed version but was not impressed: similar kibble size, food less dense and more expensive - not worth it...

I'm considering moving over to a no-grain formula (EVO, Raw Instinct: am I missing any?) and I know that Innova has a large kibble version of their regualr EVO food though I don't yet know how big the kibble is.

The only decent-sized kibble I've seen is dental formulae (nice kibble, lousy ingredients though the Purina version is, oddly enough, not too shabby) and Royal Canin giant breed (brought back memories of childhood charcoal barbecues...); unfortunately, these are not premium quality products. The Lemyre kibble (made by CaniSource here in Quebec) has an interesting sanding paper-like kibble but the ingredients seem short on meat and the price (about 79$ for 14 kg) is a bit high (the downside of being a small manufacturer).

I'm still waiting to hear from Natura regarding their EVO kibble but if anyone has suggestions for a nice-sized kibble in a food of similar quality to Innova, I'd be glad to read about it!

Prin
December 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
IMO, size doesn't matter. If she doesn't chew, she doesn't chew.:shrug:

Scott_B
December 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Yup,..most dogs don't chew kibble. Its vacuumed up and swallowed whole. And please don't think the crunching cleans teeth, it doesn't. :o I'd say its probably better for dogs to swallow it whole as it will coat their teeth less. Thats just my opinion though. But if you look at the dogs with the most dental problems, its usually small dogs that do chew kibble.

Prin
December 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
But, IMO evo might help.. I mean if you look at it logically: less sugar to feed the bacteria that cause plaque, would mean less plaque.:shrug:

muckypup
December 1st, 2006, 09:42 PM
I don't think the size matters too much either. I know (I think if I remember correctly) the large breed Innova is a bigger kibble so that dogs will actually chew it instead of just swallow it whole to slow down their eating to help prevent bloat. They don't really know how much that helps prevent bloat but I feed smaller kibble to my dogs (EVO and CN) and I add water and canned food so their food is like a stew and that slows them down a lot. Otherwise they just inhale plain kibble.

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
I agree the kibble size doesn't matter as most dogs (especially larger ones) don't chew their food. I have a lab and a husky that are eating Innova and neither of them chew. If Aodhan is getting raw knuckle bones then that's all he needs for his teeth IMO.

vfrohloff
December 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Nope, size doesn't matter. I have 2 Greyhounds, one who chews and the other who doesn't. I tried at one point (before I was better educated) the Prescription diet T/D, those huge kibbles. Benny swallowed them whole and nearly choked to death at every meal. Now they get Canidae which is quite small. Benny still inhales it whole, and Sophie still chews every mouthful delicately.

Aodhan
December 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'm somewhat relieved that the consensus is that size doesn't matter because the EVO large kibble is anything but large. :frustrated: I almost laughed when I opened the bag: it might be large for a cat or a diminutive chihuahua but it ain't large for any dog over 10 pounds. As expected, the transition is going fine and he licks his bowl as usual (with the tasty salmon oil supplement, that is to be expected :) ).

Rainbow: As for knuckle bones, I'll have to see if the butcher shop have some.
For us Frenchies in Quebec, can you better define knuckle bones? We can find knee bones and would you say any joint bone would be appropriate?

OntarioGreys
December 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Knuckle bones are the knee and hip joints

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Yes, the knee bones are the same. BTW, I just remembered to check for new pics of Aodhan and found the new ones you posted in your "intro thread". He is gorgeous.....more please. :D You should post some in the "photo forum".

clemyre
June 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi. One of our customers informed us of this posting and I thought I would reply to some of the comments about Canisource. The Canisource dog food is indeed manufactured in Quebec, in our own plant. A number of formulas and recipees have been tested over the last couple of years. We now have the final version, which you will see hitting the stores across Quebec and Ontario in the next few weeks/months.

The food is made of 70% fresh meat, the same you would find at the grocery store (100% of ingredients accepted for human consumption). In essence, what we do is raw food, just dehydrated (at very low temperature so as not to burn the nutrients).

The kibbles all have the same diameter, but they all have a different length. The advantage is that since the kibble size differs, dogs cannot swallow the food, but actually have to crunch it (Great Danes, Roetweillers, and Irish Setters included).

As for price vs format, here is a little more info. Our biggest format is a 10kg, but it contains the exact same # of meals as a 16.1kg bag of any other brand. This difference is there because our food contains no fillings of any kind, and is also dehydrated (vs extruded) to preserve all of the original nutrients, hence lighter. Retail price will be around 75$, and the price is defined by the cost of the fresh, human grade, ingredients. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Visit our web site for more info: MyDogEatsWell.com. Or just call us directly at the office. We don't bite! 1-888-347-3523. Have a great day.