Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat eats plastic

BellaKia
December 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Hi There,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I've got a cat that's a little over a year old. She has this odd thing about plastic, that she likes to eat it. If there's a garbage bag out somewhere she'll chew on it, a plastic straw wrapper, she'll chew on it. We had a to remove a piece from her bum one day...so she is ingesting it. Has anyone one else had any experience with this? Is she missing something that she's trying to make up for?
I'd appreciate any help!

LibbyP
December 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
I am sorry I have no advice to offer you but to tell you that you are not alone with this strange habit. I have(had) two cats that have done this, not sure what breed of cat you have but mine have been Siamese. Not only have they eaten plastic bags but acouple crazy other iteams. My parents cat also did the same thing. When we asked the vet about it all we were told was to try and put these things out of reach because blockage can occur, and that it was just a habit :shrug: Good luck sorry I couldn't offer any words of wisdom, cats are strange creatures.

MyBirdIsEvil
December 1st, 2006, 11:11 PM
One of my cats (the one that lives with my parents), has a habit of licking plastic grocery bags and she'll attempt to eat certain types of plastic.

One day she got a piece of plastic, the kind that rolls of ground beef come in, out of the garbage and ate half of it. Not because it had beef taste on it, but because she wanted the plastic. Luckily she puked it back up, but she tries to eat all kinds of thin plastic stuff.

I have no idea what causes this, I'd kind of like to know myself.

TeriM
December 2nd, 2006, 01:55 AM
One of my cats has a serious thing for rubber bands and headphone wires (like with an IPod). So far we've been lucky and they have passed through but it is very worrisome and hard to keep a step ahead of her. No explanations for kitty obsessions, just need to try to clear temptation.

Stacer
December 2nd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Jeez, what all of you have described sounds like my cats. My girly Finn, pretty much eats anything that is on the floor, platic bits, crumbs, fuzz, and rubber elastics. My boy Angus will eat elastics and chews on my headphone wires, he will actually open drawers to get at the headphones, and he's ruined several pairs. So I have no advice to give, but I can stand in solidarity with all of you in the knowledge that our cats are wierd and we need to keep plastic out of their reach:D