Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sores

SARAH
December 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Hi everybody,

We've got Sheba now for two weeks. She's a good dog, not the brightest - a little slow at times - but sweet and cuddly and just a doll! Two issues though:

1) Her tail was amputated a little because of a mass growing on it, which was removed and the vet took some of the tail along with that. The stitches came out with the bandage at one point, about 6 days after the surgery. There is no puss or blood or any other sign of danger, but the skin is not closing, giving her a tail with a hole at the end! The vet who removed her neutering stitches said to keep the tip of her tail bandaged for a few more days, but it's not helping. Any ideas or views on that?

2) She also has a scab on the top of her butt (lower back, a little to the side of her tail). Looks like she scraped herself trying to get under something. No iea how long that sore has been there, as it was covered by fur. We felt a slight bump as we petted her, but it's not an area where you put your hand as often as higher up towards the head.
Anyway, the vet shaved the fur around this sore to have a look, and it's clean - no puss at all - but the scab keeps lifting around the edges, making it bleed again repeatedly. We keep it clean with a disinfectant (sold by the vet) and hope it'll heal soon. She doesn't seem to be in any pain from it, but we hesitate taking her to meet other dogs as the sore could get ripped up and then become infected. Have any of you had similar issues with your dogs (or cats for that matter) ?

Frenchy
December 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Poor Sheba,I'm so sorry. Have you called back your vet ? Maybe he would have other suggestions ?

SARAH
December 1st, 2006, 04:21 PM
We decided with Lewis to give her until Monday, unless it looks bad tomorrow in which case we go then. The rump-scab is dry and not developping any puss (the vet said to watch for that), looks bad but then any old scab does even on humans. I'm more concerned about the "hole" at the tip of her tail. Vet said to keep it bandaged, but I'd prefer to have it get some air ... will call and check Monday at the latest!

Poor little Sheba!

SARAH
December 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
:dog: This morning Sheba and Dani were "wrestling" in the living room, after sleeping side by side on their doggie-beds all night. Lewis didn't want to wait till Monday, so we went to see the technician at the Vet's Office.

Bum-scab is fine (I thought it probably was) and is taking its course. Her tail was double checked by the same vet who saw her on Monday and is doing better so the vet was happy with that. New bandage (bright yellow this time :) ), to be changed twice this week, and a new check just to be sure next Saturday.

Vet said she liked the fact that we checked, and wished more people would do that, spending a few $$ rather than waiting till a big problem develops at $$$$$ or even :rip: !

Better safe than sorry :highfive: and Sheba's fine!

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yipeee ! :highfive: So glad for Sheba ! Thanks for taking such good care of her :cloud9: So she's been playing with Dani,I knew she would come around ! :dog: Give both of them a big kiss from me !