Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! my pet's mysterious illness

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 09:09 PM
hi, my 6year old pomernarian has a mysterious illness. she is having an odourless, colorless but very sticky discharge, we took her to the vet and was prescribed antibiotic (I am not very happy w/ him, at the time he prescribed it he told me that he thinks she has an infection and that's what cuase the discharge, however, when i phoned a couple days later when my pet's condition didn't improve, he said he prescribed it cuz he thinks she had a skin infection), anyhow, she got extremely sick (vomiting) after taking the fifth pill (on the 6th night).

she is now no longer vomitting, however the discharge has not gotten better either. the vet seems to be very clueless, thankfully, my pet seems to be in good spirit but drinks an excessive amount of water and hence pees alot (and we think, the discharge gets worse before she has to pee). anyone can provide some insight into what her illness is? HELP!! Please, i am very concerned that it is or will lead to something serious. thank you!

updated: vet seems to think Lexie is diabetic. she's only 6, and we're discovering this early, is there any hope of curing it?

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I too fear that this could lead to something more serious... Head to another vet... you NEED a second opinion...

IMO if your vet "believes" it is something but has not done any tests to PROVE anything, its not worth spending another dime at that vet clinic. Find a new vet asap!
Hope you can get a Diagnosis soon. :pray:

technodoll
November 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM
discharge.... hmm. is your bitch spayed? :fingerscr

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM
i don't want to waste money on useless vets anymore.

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
we had it done when she was 6 months old

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
We dont have a vet referral list ( that I am aware of) but I hope you can find one soon. Your current vet....!!!????!! I dont know:shrug: I wouldnt be impressed either.

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 09:46 PM
but he seems to be very irresponsible, but i want to make sure the new vet i go to will be good

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Ask kennels in your area, other pet owners, call a trainer or anyone who works with dogs. There should be a reccomendation out there somewhere...

Or just call around to all the different vets in your area and talk to them ask questions and explain your situation. Sometimes you get a " feel " for them after talking with them...

LavenderRott
November 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
i don't want to waste money on useless vets anymore.

While I can certainly understand your frustration, I would go to another vet. And another. And another until I found out what was wrong with my dog.

Not only are there no veterinarians on the board, we certainly can't see your dog and are not qualified to diagnose her over the internet.

I assume we are talking about vaginal discharge which could be any number of things, a couple of which can be life threatening.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I try to believe that for the most part vets are good. I am all too aware that there are some bad apples among the group, but generally there are not that many out there that are useless. So if you have found this one, that doesn't sound very helpful at all, then I think any other vet you seek will be much better than that one:shrug:

I think that any other vet's opinion is better right now

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM
should i give her the last 3 antibiotics? (he had prescribed 8 altogether)

technodoll
November 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
where are you located?... :o

LEXIEch
November 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
and my current vet is located in scarborough

mummummum
November 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Well there are more than enough Vets to choose from, including 24-7 clinics in Toronto. You've been given some excellent advice about sourcing a referral from aquaintances and friends. However, given that your dog is ill and could be gravely ill, you may not the luxury of time. In terms of whether or not to continue the antibiotics, that is a question only a Vet can answer. Please DO get your dog to a Vet ASAP ~ and let us know how you make out after the 2nd opinion Vet visit.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM
good luck I replied to your intro thread hope everything goes well.:D

LEXIEch
December 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
just got back from the vet, and had blood work and urinary test done, the results won't be available till monday, but he did a preliminary (what he called equivalent to a home pregnancy test) urinary glucose test? and he said that it is evident that my dog is diabetic! the sticky discharge she's having apparently is pee with lots of sugar, that's why it's very sticky. so now, i am going to read up on diabetes and ho;efully will find stuff other than what he tells me. he said diabetes is not curable (though, i'm remaining hopeful until otherwise, my dog is still relatively young at 6, and we discovered it relatively eraly)...in the meantime should i go to another vet and get another opinion?

LEXIEch
December 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
how old was your pet when first diagnosed w/ diabetes? what were the symptoms? is your dog now on insulin? is there any other alternative treatments?

debolm
December 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Usually glucose in urine and blood are quite indictative of diabetes. To prolong your precious dog's life , her blood sugars have to get under control and stay there. It prob. means giving her insulin , checking her blood sugars at home, and making sure she eats when she should to avoid insulin reactions. It's a big commitment, but I wouldn't hesitate for my babes. You can get another opinion but I would start treatment right away.

LEXIEch
December 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
is there anyway of controlling her glucose level w/o insulin if she is a mild diabetic? if possible, i would like her not to be reliant on insulin since she is only six, if we change her diet, and take her to get lots of exercise, is there anyway we can make do w/o insulin? the thought of having to inject her everday makes me really sad

Blathach
December 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
These are questions that can only be answered by a vet and unfortunately, we are not vets and cannot diagnose or give out medical advice over the internet. Once your vet answers these questions, please post back with an update. This thread will now be closed.