Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! New Dog causing havok!

mmpjim
November 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM
We've had 2 dogs in the house for several years..other than the occasional "husky must be boss" fights, they tolerate each other.
My daughter came home from college and brought a puppy.
We've had some problems integrating the puppy, but, again, other than the Husky having to be boss, things are generally OK....EXCEPT one or more of the dogs is constantly pooping and now peeing in the house, or sometimes outside the doggy door on the patio.
Additionally the husky has been ill and is occasionally vomiting near the back door...she is on meds..steroids and some stuff for her stomach.

I think that half the time it's the puppy not being properly house trained, and the other half the alpha Husky being dominant. any ideas..they are ruining our new $10,000 carpet! In the 3-4 weeks that this has been going on, we've never seen the culprit(s).

LavenderRott
November 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Well, I can tell you that half of the problem is that you are not supervising the puppy.

One must not assume that since a dog door is available, the dog will use it for the intended purpose.

You need to get back to basics and housebreak this puppy. That means scheduling all feedings and potty breaks. The puppy should NEVER, EVER be left on it's own. If someone can not pay attention to it, then it should be crated.

If you do a search here, you will find several threads on housebreaking that can help you.