Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with chihuahua mishaps!!

Lisa Lemus
November 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Hello, I just rescued a 1 year old male chihuahua. He wasn't fixed, so I fixed that. The first week I got him he would go potty outside, then overnight it was all inside. Then I started keeping him half inside and outside with a gate, so he sleeps and eats inside during the day with full access outside. He also sleeps in a crate at night without incident. When I come home from work I let him out and he's perfect. If the doggy door is closed, he'll actually wait for me to let him out. Great!! Then he just started to pee inside his enclosure inside the house, but still pooping outside. I'm confused. I feel like I'm doing the right thing, but he's too much. While I'm home I watch him at all times, so he doesn't make a mistake. And he definitely knows when I say "go potty" and take him out, he goes right away. He knows what that means, I'm sure of it. He'll go out on his own when I'm home. My other dog is perfect and I just don't want to deal with this. I'm thinking of getting rid of him, but that's sad. I've only had him a month, and inside the gate enclosure daily for two weeks. Do I just need to wait it out? Can anyone help, please???

Iownkittys
November 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ok first any inviromental changes? did u move somthing, new people in the house. any new animals? My chiuaua bitty rat did the same thing when I brought our cat monster home. She still does it near his litter box, She is a mostly inside dog if u really cant handle ur new puppy usin the bathroom in the house then I agree you should probably give him away. Or try puppy Pads my dog loves them a uses them if no one is home it keeps it from getting on the floor and makin a mess. If u live near kansas and still want to get rid of ur male then I will take him off ur hands.:love:

Lisa Lemus
November 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Hello, well, he himself is new, I think, to being mostly inside. I think he was mostly an outdoor dog. He's only 3 pounds so I don't want to leave him outside. He's so cute. I will use the puppy pads. And I do take him outside when I get home and in the morning. But he pees right at the sliding door to get outside, which he can get outside but just walking a few more inches. Is he trying to tell me he hates the gate. It's one of those adjustable gates that can make a circle or rectange. And I put his toys in there. so i don't know.

greaterdane
November 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Is he marking or peeing? I would say hes most likely marking because he was recently neutered and probably had to mark his territory at his old home. My male chihuahua was like that too when he first got here.

Where are you located? It must be a warm place if he is able to go in and out during the day. I would watch this because chihuahuas are so small and easy to pick up and walk away with, especially at a mere 3lbs.

I would definatley suggest the p-pads for now, but thats only if you want him going in the house all the time. You can also try belly bands if he is marking. They will keep him from marking as he wont want to get himself wet. Here is some info on them http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/bellybands.htm

You could also try litter box training him since he is so small.

I would definatley not give up after only a month. He is still getting used to his new home. I also just read that you have another dog, so he may feel out of place about that as well. There are many contributing factors. I hope some of this helps. I will continue to look things up for you.