Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas tree vs Kitten

heidiho
November 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM
So what advice does anyone have for what i know is gonna be a hell of a time keeping her away from........

jessi76
November 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM
my advice is.....

NO tinsel, cats will eat it.

plastic ornaments, because glass ones will get knocked off and will break.

skip bows on presents under the tree. my cats always ATE bows. all gifts had half chewed bows.

mine also always liked to lay on the tree skirt.

keep a water bottle handy - squirt 'em if they start to chew on things, like strings of lights.

provide extra toys & playtime - a tired and occupied kitty will leave the tree alone (hopefully!)

good luck! take pics!

heidiho
November 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM
That was the first thing i said to my boyfriend no tinsel,which i actually prefer garland,he likes tinsel,so i win...Good idea on the ornaments will do that,and there will be lots of pics for sure/.........

springermom0406
November 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
When we had a real tree out cats climbed it, knocked it over, and took every ornament off. Now that we have a fake one they couldn't be bothered lol.

heidiho
November 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I wanted fake but boyfriend would not have it,,So this otta be interesting,i can only imagine when we are at work,and i just cant lock her in a room she would cry all day and i would feel bad all day at work knowing she is locked up

chico2
November 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Oh,kittens love a LIVE tree in the house:D
Like everyone said,no tinsel,no glass-balls,most I have seen in the store are now plastic,which is great.
My cats always knocked down ornaments,so far never the whole tree,but we have just a small one.
Rocky when he was a kitten,managed to almost pull the tree over,pulling at the strings with little lights,that too is a danger...

vfrohloff
November 30th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Don't decorate the bottom half of the tree, that way when the kitten gets up to the top half all the decorations will fall and get caught in the branches below and it will even out. :D Just kidding. Seriously though, my parents used to tie the tree to the ceiling. They'd put a hook in the ceiling and tie a string around the top part of the tree. Just make sure it's tight though, otherwise it's a strangling hazard. Also, don't put any dangly decorations along the bottom part of the tree, kittens think that means the whole tree was put up as a toy for them.

heidiho
November 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Thats pretty funny....That is exaclty what she is gonna think,oh hey great giant toy for me..I kwow this is gonna be more work than it is worth.......WE hung lights around window last night,oh my god she would not stop,so i got nailpolish the clear smelly grow your nail kind and it did work,but that was when it was first put on and really smelled strong,we will see tonight

glasslass
November 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I used to put a Christmas village and train under the tree. I was afraid Puss would get into it but she hated the fake snow and stayed out of it.

heidiho
December 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Well we put up tree and i just cant say enough what an awesome kitten we have she was really pretty good was swatting at some branches but that really was the worst of it,cant say what will happen today while we are at work,but she really just was not that interested in it..Got some adorable pics to will have up on monday,i tell you we have the best kitten ever,i mean she can be sooo bad,but overall i wouldnt trade her for a million bucks...I know i keep saying how great she is and it is probably getting old but honestly i just cant help it.:cat:

chico2
December 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Heidi,I don't think there is ever a BAD kitten,kittens/cats are curious by nature and often get in trouble because of it,but they are never bad,they are just being cats.
I don't know if you ever had a cat before,but I am sure she'll continue to amaze you:cat:
Most people who say,they don't like cats,have just never given a cat a chance,to prove how wonderful they really are.

heidiho
December 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
I have always had a cat growing up at home and had 2 with an ex from about 7 years ago,the only thing i have never had is one from such a young age,she probably was only 4 to 5 weeks when we took her in,and you are so right she never ceases to bring us such fun,last night after x mas tree was done we turned tv off,and she has this budweiser 12 pack box (of course if you buy toys they are not the ones that they find most fun ,it is the stuff that is free that entertains the most) that she just loves and will push around the floor with her face then go in it and stick her paws out of the spot where you would carry it and just starts swatting at anything,we layed there for liek a half hour and just watched her,now she is starting to bring he mice in there...just to cute i cant talk enough about her:cat: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Kristin7
December 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I love these cat and xmas tree stories... I wish I had an electronic pic to post of my cat in my fake tree. She did think it was a giant toy just for her, even w/ very few ornaments on it. I have been afraid to put it up after that first year, as she was all over in it and ended up setting off my house alarm when the motion sensors picked her up while she was scaling the tree! ah well...

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Heidiho....is the tree still standing? :fingerscr :D

SARAH
December 4th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I also grew up with cats, and to me a house is not a home till there's a cat in it (sorry dogs, love you too :)) We solved the cat-in-the-tree problem one year by attaching it to the curtain rod - after it fell three times with the cat very high up in the branches. Dad insisted on having a tree reach the ceiling, no smaller tree is ever allowed in his house!

As far as the decorations, most of our cats (apart from this one climbing nut-case, lol) have palyed with the ornaments designed for them. No, not mice :) We'd go out in the woods and collect pine cones, then lay them out on a newspaper and paint them (non-toxic paint) before attaching a string and hanging them where the cats could reach without jumping for the rest ofg the tree. It always worked, and I will keep doing that when I get a new cat - one of these days.

Cats are really a lot of fun, intelligent and faithful, and not more independant than they love their home and family!

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
When I saw the title, all I could think of was have fun listening to the tree shake at night? :D Cats and trees go together, all that sparkle and stuff to investigate, c'mon, lol

Good luck - personally, we do not put up a tree or the Menorah till as late as possible.

melly051684
December 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm in the same situation. My kitten just turned 5 months and I'm still debating whether or not to put my christmas tree up this year. He's a VERY curious kitten (arn't they all?!) so I'll just have to put a few decorations up and see how he reacts :)

heidiho
December 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
tREE IS STILL STANDING I HAVE THREAD WITH SOME PICS,SHE REALLY ISNT INTO IT THAT MUCH SHE WILL GO RUN UNDER IT START SWATTING AT BRANCHES BUT GETS BORED WITH IT QUICK,MAN I TELL YOU THOUGH WHEN SHE IS PLAYING SHE ZOOMS AROUND OUR LITTLE CONDO AND WILL GO UNDER TREE FOR A MINUTE THEN SHE IS OVER IT AND ZOOMS AROUND SOME MORE..HER FAVORITE THING IS THE BUDWEISER BOXES WE NOW HAVE 2 TAPED TOGETHER SO SHE CAN GO THROUGH THEM LIKE A LITTLE TUNNEL,GOT PICS OF THAT TO UP HERE.I COULD GO ON FOREVER ABOUT ALL THE CUTE THIGNS SHE DOES

MartiniGIrl
December 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM
my advice is.....

NO tinsel, cats will eat it.

plastic ornaments, because glass ones will get knocked off and will break.

skip bows on presents under the tree. my cats always ATE bows. all gifts had half chewed bows.

mine also always liked to lay on the tree skirt.

keep a water bottle handy - squirt 'em if they start to chew on things, like strings of lights.

provide extra toys & playtime - a tired and occupied kitty will leave the tree alone (hopefully!)

good luck! take pics!

all of those things above I totally agree with! PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DONT USE TINSEL!!!

Also you can buy this spray at the pet store that you can spray directly onto your tree. It has a smell that they dont like and will generally keep them away from your tree.

This year I have 3 foster kittens and I'm not putting up a tree because I know that no matter what I do, they'll try climbing it and will swat off the ornaments!

Good luck!

heidiho
December 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
What is the problem with tinsel??choking.. No we have garland and the only thing she really has been doing is taking all her toys and putting them behind tree,then she gets interested at swatting branches and stuff but i the spray stuff sounds like a great idea

vfrohloff
December 8th, 2006, 08:17 AM
The problem with tinsel isn't choking so much, it's that if it gets swallowed it can get wound around their intestines. The edges of the tinsel can also cause cuts in their throat, stomach and intestines resulting in internal bleeding. Best to stay away from it.

Caney
December 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
well, we decided too, not to have a tree, since all our kittens are still young, and we know that they will love exploring that huge new toy we bought for them, especially gandalf, shes the explorer,

instead we are going to hang those garlendy things where they cant reach, and put a few small ornaments on there, but no glass, and no tinsel, also no blinking lights, since thats got to be an invitation for them.

hope all have a great holiday :)

joeysmama
December 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I can remember the year we put tinsel on the tree and had some beautifully decorated poops in the litter box. :o

We were lucky she didn't choke on it though, or have other intestinal problems. What were we thinking?

I know i keep saying how great she is and it is probably getting old but honestly i just cant help it.

Are you kidding ? That can NEVER get old. I love hearing about how loved your new baby is. I'm going to go look for the pics now.:)

nansel
December 11th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Bo and Chuck, our feral rescue "boys", were about eight months old their first Christmas. They were, naturally, fascinated by all the decorations when we got the boxes out. I sat on the couch with the big Super Soaker, while my hubby and daughter put the tree and other stuff up. When Chuck went to bat at the felt decorations on our Advent calendar, I shot him with the water gun, and got him in the back of the head. Oops, but no harm done at least. I got Bo as he went for the tree. From then, just the sound of picking up the Super Soaker got them to stop whatever it was they were doing. They never bothered with any of the decorations after that evening.

One year when I was a kid, our cat Brutus ate the chocolate out of the foil-wrapped balls that my mom hung on the tree, leaving the foil still hanging. She thought it was us kids until she caught him eating one.