Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagles

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I started another thread because I was (as usual) hijacking another thread :D I was wondering if Beagles run fast,it has been answered but all you beagles owners could tell me about your dogs? Beagles are about the only small dogs that I would adopt (except for cockers) and I would like an older one since all my rescues are older. Like Millie (the one Crystal adopted) I imagine I would have to "finish" my fence,mine are too big but a cat could go under in certin area,guess a Beagle could too. Just looking for infos on them. I see there is a LOT of them in petfinder but not in quebec :shrug:

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM
BTW feel free to post pics....:p , no , don't feel free,it's an order.:evil:

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM
My beagle Cassie is a sweet heart. What I love most about her is that she is a big dog in a small dog's body. They are very sturdy, compact little things, not like a toy breed of the same size at all.

She loves Hunter and other dogs, but is a bit timid when first meeting them, or even meeting new people, but having Hunter around when she is meeting new people gives her courage, lol:D

She loves loves loves to cuddle:cloud9: . I can't emphasize this enough, She really would stay cuddling with someone all day if they would let her.
She likes the snow, but hates the rain. She really dislikes wind:eek:

She can run fast and like most beagles, has her nose to the ground most of the time:rolleyes:

One thing with her is that she is very stubborn. You can call her all day long, but if she doesn't think there is food around, she may not come at all...you have to make it worthwhile for her to come.

She is the boss. Hunter listens to her, you can easily see that when watching the 2 of them interact with each other. Although he is 3 times the size of her, she has no trouble telling him to leave her alone:p

I will post some pics when I get home. Any excuse to post pics...I will also post some pics of her brother and 2 sisters. My uncle has them and the mother. He resuced the mother while she was pregnant and kept all the puppies. He gave one to my brother, but he had to go to Alberta for work, so I took ownership, gladly, lol. When I move I plan on taking over ownership of Cassie's brother as well.:cloud9:

TeriM
November 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM
LOL, Cassie sounds exactly like my friend's beagle :rip: :sad: except he was not timid in the least. Excellent personality. Only drawbacks were being stubborn and man could that dog shed! He was the first dog Lucy ever met (other than her litter) and she worshipped him (and she is definetly the Alpha female type).

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Yes, Thanks TeriM, how could I leave out the shedding:rolleyes:

Cassie sheds a lot...way more than Hunter. :eek: It is short white fur too, and it sticks everywhere. But she is worth it, ;)

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Be careful what you wish for;)
Here are some Beagle pics

The first 2 are both Cassie pics:D

The one on the left is when she was still puppyish, and the one on the right was from a couple of months ago, you can see how in the last year the whiteness around her eyes has developed.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Here is Cassie's brother Jack, and in the other pic are her 2 sisters Lucy and Molly

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Last but not least, I had to post my all time favourite pictures:o :cloud9:
And besides, Hunter was feeling left out

It really shows how well Cassie and Hunter get along

TeriM
November 30th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Awwww, that's so cool that you get to see all of the brothers & sisters.

wdawson
November 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
george was a chewer and a digger until around 3yrs.....loved shoes......i had to fortify the bottom of the fence cause he got out all the time and would go and sit on the front porch......and yes they are stubborn will only come when ready.......but they are very loyal family dogs.

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
awwww :cloud9: I did heard they were stubborn little ones ! But they are sooo cute ! And is it only me but I find you can see how smart they are by looking in their beautiful eyes. I totally fell in love with Millie (Crystal from Boxer rescue adopted her) and can't wait to rescue an older one. So , stubborn, sheda a lot, that's about it for the negative part...oh yes and their nose are the boss of them! :D

TeriM
November 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Another plus is that you will never ever have any crumbs on your floors :D . Very good at vacumning each and every crumb ever dropped. Although with all your goldens that is probably not an issue.

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Oh if I must.... Here's Polly and Callie

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM
and Soozie...

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 08:27 PM
here's Bugsey

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
and a few fosters...hud the stud and hailey doodle

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Beagles:cloud9: Floppy ears:cloud9:

I have no information for ya Frenchy, I have only b-sat a beagle once and just for a weekend... But it was fun!
I love the bark too :cloud9: ( he is a trained hunter and we had deer in the feild that weekend)

Heres a pic of Blue.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Oh yes the bark is unique indeed, lol. I have jumped many a times when Cassie has seen something outside that she felt the need to give the howl to:o I tell ya, sometimes she can make my hair stand on end if I am not expecting it:eek:

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I looove their bark too ! OMG we3beagles , they must get tons of cookies , how can you say no.... look at those faces ! Christmas list ; 1. win the lotto 2. adopt an english setter, a great dane, a st-bernard, one of each breed 80 pounds and up..add to list ; 1 beagle :D

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I loved the "bark" ( and believe me he bayed the WHOLE time he was here) all day and all night.... I loved it. My bf wasnt as thrilled as i was, he would nod off and Blue would start up again ( shook the walls sometimes) and i would poke the bf and say "Isnt that the sweetest" :D

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Hunter's_owner;327405 she felt the need to give the howl [/QUOTE]

That must be so cool ! Image having 3 ! So what's it like we3beagles ? Do they howl at the same time sometimes ? :eek:

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 08:50 PM
and i would poke the bf and say "Isnt that the sweetest" :D

Molly barks sometimes at the others when she wants to play , and Bailey barks at them because he wants to join them when they play so it's a bark fest sometimes. I think to myself, will I ever meet someone who won't get annoyed at this ? Because there will always be barking at my house ALWAYS :shrug:

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Mostly you want to understand that most beagles are not off leash dogs and have terrible recall. Unless someone is willing to work extremely hard it is so hard to teach reliably. They are also so loving and snuggly and want to be with you all the time. Mine follow me around like I'm bo peep. Hubby says it is vastly amusing to watch my flock follow me around the house.
We've also had to beagle proof the house. All garbages go in vanities or are the flip up kind. No food is left out on the counters or in plain view, or in sniffing distance.:D

Please Frenchy...I have 4. Last month we adopted Polly. 12 years old and so spunky still. Mostly deaf too. She just follows the others around.

I love the croon. When part of the pack is away a beagle will bay as if to say "where are you" or " come see what I found". Sometimes they all bay together and you get the most beautiful sound on earth...the croon. It is the most mournful sound you will ever hear. As if their little hearts are breaking.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM
All good advice for sure. Luckily Cassie is not a jumper, but I firmly believe that if her nose led her to something out of reach she would do whatever she could to find the source.

But Cassie's brother is a jumper, and a climber, and a digger. Beagle proofing for him meant doing what wdawson said about fortifying the bottom of the fence. ALso in the winter the fence has to be shoveled all around or else he will use the snow drifts to jump over the fence.

Cassie's timidness makes her a less likely candidate for jumping or running off, which is a good thing, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, her nose is the boss:o

erykah1310
Molly barks sometimes at the others when she wants to play , and Bailey barks at them because he wants to join them when they play so it's a bark fest sometimes. I think to myself, will I ever meet someone who won't get annoyed at this ? Because there will always be barking at my house ALWAYS :shrug:

Tee hee, thats kinda my house too ( but kita doesnt ever really bark :shrug: ) and its hard to find someone who can "deal" with barking like us, but there is some out there who can put up with it...( or will just pretend like it is here :p )

Frenchy
No food is left out on the counters or in plain view, or in sniffing distance.:D

Too cute ! They're not good on recalls but do they tend to run away ? Like if you walked one unleash in the wood or in a field , they wouldn't run away right ? :(

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Too cute ! They're not good on recalls but do they tend to run away ? Like if you walked one unleash in the wood or in a field , they wouldn't run away right ? :(

They would most definetly run. If they caught the scent of something they would be gone in a hurry!!!

Beagles can almost never be trusted off leash, especially in a wooded area. Or that is how it is around here anyway. :shrug:

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
They'll follow their noses to the ends of the earth and never even hear you call. Nose rules all..
When we built the fence we beagle proofed it too. We dug down and put an extra 2x4 along the bottom. None of mine are diggers, but we foster so we just wanted it to be safe.

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
If something catches their nose and they decide to follow it.... they will run off :( Reason for so many hunting dogs being lost.

With Blue dog I couldnt let him off lead to play with the other dogs at all... But at his house he is good not being on lead ( he knows when its hunting time) he sticks around their yard good :shrug: ( He is also 11 years old too so that may play a factor)