Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Angel shihtzu stolen and brought back need health advice

debolm
November 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
My 2 year old shihtzu, named Angel , was stolen out of our yard mid. Sept. 2006. We searched until we thought all hope was lost. Ten weeks later she was brought back to us. She had been in a home with lots of cigarette smoke and was horribly matted. She saw the vet and was put on amoxil for rapid respirations( he didn't do any tests). That is better, but my concern is two fold. #1 she was due to go into heat when she was taken. Her teats are now greatly enlarged and her belly is flabby. At first return, I couldn't express any milk, but now can. They breed shihtzus where she was.I thought maybe they bred her and kept the pups with another mom, but if she is pregnant should I abort her and spay her? Also she responds to us, but has greatly changed in her affect and sleeps most of the day. We are sensitive to her ? depression.
I worry if we abort her that she will have a more difficult time coming back to us. I really need some advice on what to do. The vet couldn't answer my questions. PLEASE HELP. debolm:ca: :ca:

badger
November 30th, 2006, 11:00 AM
If she is healthy enough to undergo the procedure, I would have her spayed. Who knows what happened out there, it could be a disaster to let her go to term. Backyard breeders have no scruples.
Was the vet not able to tell you if she was either lactating after giving birth or pregnant? If you are not getting any of this information and are concerned, take her to another vet. I would have a blood panel done as well.
Poor baby, she is super-stressed from her ordeal and will need lots of cuddles and reassurance. If she is sleeping alot, have her within reach; don't let her hide, or crate her. Make sure her food is extra-nutritious. Try some Rescue Remedy, a herbal preparation (available from health food stores) that reduces stress. A few drops in her mouth twice a day should do it.

Daizy
November 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
What about getting an ultra sound done. I know its expensive but then you would know for sure if she was carrying any babies.

debolm
November 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'm leaning toward getting her spayed next week. I just didn't want her to be more stressed, but i guess having a litter would do that too. I keep her with me all the time. I have a job that lets me even bring her to work with me. I'm feeling pretty guilty for not having her spayed before.I guess we thought she was just so beautiful and wanted to see what her pups would look like. We weren't even going to sell them. I guess that made her pretty attractive to theft and this was my worst nightmare of what could have happened. I'm going to insist on routine bloodwork before surgery. This vet normally doesn't do that!! Thanks for your reply. debolm

Inverness
November 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
An ultrasound is not necessary at all. The vet might be able to feel the puppies if they are big enough, or else an X-Ray will show them. This would also allow the vet to check the size of the puppies. If the female was bred to a bigger male, she might have problems giving birth - good thing to know in advance. I would personaly opt for spay/abort, and I would have the dog tested for brucellosis.