Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Alley cat rant!

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Why do city people let their cats run loose?! :frustrated: Just about the only quiet place to walk the dogs are in the tree-lined back alleys criss-crossing our neighborhood, and on a balmy night like tonight most of them reek of cat piss :yuck: and since the alleys are teeming with loose cats, i can't go there because the dogs go nuts...

so anyways, i was walking the dogs on a street sidewalk when a cat ran out from under a parked car right in front of the dogs' noses, i never saw the dang thing so i wasn't prepared to be popped forwards 3 feet by the dogs who went "chaaase!" . I didn't think i could yell so loud! i had to dig my feet in, grab the leash by both hands and lean backwards and i heard my back pop :( so yeah, now my back has been wrenched out of place, all the hard work my chiro has done so far has pretty much been wrecked, i'm in so much pain it hurts to breathe.

waaaaaaaaah! :yell:

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Good thing you were not in roller blades :D But I'm sorry for your back :sad:

pitgrrl
November 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I think Montreal is particularily bad. "Owning" a cat here seems to mean letting it in every couple of days for some food and maybe worrying if you don't see it for a couple of weeks.

I hate, hate, hate the cats under cars, they're like some sort of evil torture if you have dogs with any kind of prey drive. They're only out done by the really bad ass cats that actually have the balls/stupidity to charge large dogs.

I hope your back feels better. Too bad you can't track down the cat's owner and sue them for the cost of a massage :evil:

jiorji
November 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM
oh that's not smell from cat urine...that's drunk kids/homeless urine smell....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 10:50 PM
i've recently read the the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 4 years, vs 13 years for an indoor cat. but it seems people don't really care... i've never seen a cat in this city with a collar and tags on either. yet they sit in front of closed doors meowing to get in. :(

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 10:51 PM
oh that's not smell from cat urine...that's drunk kids/homeless urine smell

yeah that too :D but really, in these plateau alleys... it's cat pee, no mistake about that. it makes your eyes water!

we3beagles
November 29th, 2006, 11:07 PM
While I may not have the cat problem (coyotes tend to get em here :sad: ) I do have a huge problem with rabbits. All my beagles are ex hunters and I have a serious problem when walking two at a time when a rabbit runs out in front of them. I swear one is purposely taunting Soozie. Everytime I take her for a walk there he is with what appears to be the middle digit on his paw up. Seriously I really like rabbits. I used to keep them before I got a pack of rabbit hunters. We were late to realize they just don't mix when we awoke one night to a ruckus in the living room and found Bugsey chasing Cassie the rabbit at top speed. He eventually got used to her, but after she passed we just didn't want to expose any more bunnies to that level of terror again.

pitgrrl
November 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
oh that's not smell from cat urine...that's drunk kids/homeless urine smell....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No, no silly, you're thinking of the front entrance way of my building!

oh the joys of plateau living..........

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 11:18 PM
All my beagles are ex hunters

:offtopic: Sorry,stupid question but do Beagles run fast ?

Shaykeija
November 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Everytime I take her for a walk there he is with what appears to be the middle digit on his paw up..

Haaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa ROFLMAO Sounds like me in the car:p

erykah1310
November 29th, 2006, 11:48 PM
And of course they are not speautered so they are reproducing out there :rolleyes:
Why get a cat if you have no intentions on caring for them? PROPERLY!!!

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Why get a cat if you have no intentions on caring for them? PROPERLY!!!

that is the million-dollar question erykah... and about the same amount it's gonna cost me in additional chiro treatments the next few years :frustrated:

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 12:04 AM
ya know :offtopic: a bit.
I never wanted any cats. Im slightly allergic to them, but they just started coming around, popping up on the highway in front of us ( mr.floyd), breeding in my shed, and popping by for eternal visits. Now look at the cats I have :eek:
I have no choice but to rehome Moxy ( once I find a GOOD home for him) cause for someone who isnt really a cat person, Im at my limit... I hope no one else "shows up" here for a while.

Im sorry to hear that you hurt your back again...:sad:

Prin
November 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM
i've recently read the the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 4 years, vs 13 years for an indoor cat. but it seems people don't really care... i've never seen a cat in this city with a collar and tags on either. yet they sit in front of closed doors meowing to get in. :(

I have the exact logic for that, Techno, because I've asked it to people who do it- "Maybe it's 4 years, but those 4 years will be much more fun than the 13 spent in prison." :frustrated:

Fun? This was from a person whose cat walked home with its skull open just to die there. How fun is that!!?!!? :yell:

Sorry about your back though. Who knows, maybe they helped? :o

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Yes Beagles do run very fast. When Cassie takes off she can really get going. When Hunter goes to play with Cassie's brother, he can never keep up:eek:

Sorry to hear about hurting your back Techno, hope you feel better soon:grouphug: Rest lots and use heat.

As for the cat issue, it isn't bad here in the city at all, but when I go out to my parent's or my bf's parents, you can always expect a cat to pop out anywhere:frustrated:

Golden Girls
November 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM
i was walking the dogs on a street sidewalk when a cat ran out from under a parked car right in front of the dogs' noses, i never saw the dang thing so i wasn't prepared to be popped forwards 3 feet by the dogs who went "chaaase!"waaaaaaaaah! :yell:O man I know what you mean - this is me walking at night http://bestsmileys.com/paranoid/1.gifSo not relaxing. Poor strays though, so many :sad: :fingerscr your not too injured.

Frenchy: roller blades LMHO

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM

That is not a stupid question. They are significantly slower than greyhounds and whippets, but still pretty fast in their own right. They could potentially chase down a rabbit and can definitly outrun me.:D

Angies Man
November 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM
That is not a stupid question. They are significantly slower than greyhounds and whippets, but still pretty fast in their own right. They could potentially chase down a rabbit and can definitly outrun me.:D

And they pull hard--it's a well known fact that a couple of beagles harnessed up right can pull a small car down the street. Why there even used to be rock band called "Three Dog Night" whose name referred to their band's truck that broke down and had to be towed by 'tow beagles' to a gig one night.:clown:

:offtopic: Seems like there was a retro swing band a few years back called "Alley Cat Rant".

technodoll
November 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
he he he "the evolution of the thread" :D now where can i borrow a few beagles to tire my big kids out so they stop looking for cats? :rolleyes: my back is sooo sore today.... uugghh. thankfully i see my chiro after work.

on another note, as much as we love Dakotah's new Blocky Dog collar, he pulls so much all the time that he now has a 2" strip of worn-down and broken fur around his neck, it looks just terrible - like one of those rescue dogs that had an embedded chain in their neck removed or something :eek: So we're back to using the no-pull harness to give his neck a break... i'm so discouraged. other than him not wearing ANY collar at all for 6 months (which is not feasible), are we doomed to have a dog with no fur around the neck? :(

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Sorry for the Beagle question,it's just that I would like to adopt an older one (one day) from a rescue,for sure ! :D

technodoll
November 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
we love beagle questions :love: :crazy:

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 12:29 PM
If all beagles are like Cassie, then you will have the bestest friend ever:cloud9:

If Cassie can find someone to cuddle with, could be me, my bf, or even Hunter, she will stay there as long as they will. It is great for those cold, stormy wintery days, when all you want to do is lay down...she is all for that, lol:D

(Sorry to threadjack, but I had to add that piece about beagles, lol)

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
we love beagle questions :love: :crazy:

I will start another thread .....:D

Angies Man
December 4th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Obviously, I've never used a paint gun (or participated in paint gun wars) or I wouldn't ask this question.

Would a paint gun hit injure a cat? Sure would send a message to the "alley" cat's owner and would train the "alley" cat to avoid your neck of the woods. I wonder if it's illegal?

This is purely a hypothetical question, btw. . .

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 01:57 AM
My man paintballs and gets HUGE welts all over. IMO, you could kill a cat with a paintball gun. Not a good idea. You'd probably get charged with animal cruelty.

Kristin7
December 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Also, the paint is toxic.

http://www.michvet.com/library/emergency_paint_ball_toxicity.asp

erykah1310
December 5th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah Paintballs hurt :(
~~But I Looovvve paintball~~ I would never shoot at a cat with it cause they do cause bruising in people, and sadly the kind of people who allow their cats to "hang out " in alleys and fight and mate on a nightly basis arent usually the kind of people who would worry that their cat is full of paint.:sad:

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
sadly the kind of people who allow their cats to "hang out " in alleys and fight and mate on a nightly basis arent usually the kind of people who would worry that their cat is full of paint.:sad:Paint and pain.:(

LM1313
December 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Holy cow, I never knew paint guns were so powerful!

If the cats are hanging out in alleys all the time, they may not even have owners. :(