Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Food

Tazette
November 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I've been reading alot of posts regarding healthy dog foods and wish I was able to get some of them here in Yellowknife, NT, but we're limited since there is 1 vet clinic and only a small handfull of pet stores.

We've been feeding Sprocket Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy, Lamb Meal & Rice Formula and just started mixing some Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Formula because he doesn't seem to be a big fan of Lamb, but absolutely loves Chicken.

Does anyone know where Nutro falls for healthy dog food? Most of the pets stores and vet have Nutro and also promote Science Diet, but I haven't heard it's that great. Our vet recommended Nutro, although they nomally promote Science Diet. I'm very new to this, so any imput would be a great help.

Thanks!!!

:crazy:

barkley21
November 29th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Tazette,
Nutro IMO is not that great. There are other foods that are much better. Nutro's large breed puppy formula (and their other formulas too I believe) contains Menadione which is known to cause some of the following health problems:

causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
considerably weakens the immune system
possible mutagenic effects
damages the natural vitamin K cycle
has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
causes allergic reactions and eczema

I'd keep searching if I were you. Can you give us a list of what dog food is available in your local pet stores so that we can give you a better idea of what is better?

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Nutro's not the worst, but it's definitely near the bottom of the holistic scale... Is that the best around? :o

Tazette
November 29th, 2006, 04:16 PM
The unfortunate thing is there really isn't alot to choose from here. I called one of the few pet stores in town and they carry Nutro, Iams Eukanuba, Solid Gold and Eagle Pack. We were debating checking out some places in Edmonton whenever we get down there, but who knows when that'll happen.

The vet clinic carries, Science Diet (& the prescription diet), Royal Canin, (& techni-cal), Eagle Pack, Eukanuba, Proplan.

I think I might break down and call someone in Edmonton and get something shipped here unless one of the above are good....lol I'm sooo confused. :sad:

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Solid Gold is better than nutro, IMO...:shrug:

Tazette
November 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
In your opinion, what are some of the top foods out there? What about Nutrience? We were looking at that in Edmonton before we even got a dog.

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Depends... For a puppy... Hmm...

The solid gold wolf cub is ok, even though they cheapened the ingredients... The Wellness super5mix puppy is ok, but a bit grainy too... Then there's the orijen, but that's not good for large breeds (even the large breed one- figured that out yesterday)..

Hmm... Going to have to go see...

The Fromm puppy isn't bad, but the calcium is a bit high still for a puppy food (for large breeds)...http://www.frommfamily.com/products_canine_gold_puppy.asp

The canidae all life stages one is ok, but not great for super large breed dogs (1.2% calcium). http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

Speaking of all life stages, the DVP Natural balance ones seem ok as far as calcium goes, but the protein is pretty low...
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/SPFish.html
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/PandD.html
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/VenDog.html

:shrug: Tough call...:o

Angies Man
November 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I posted this in another thread a few weeks back, perhaps it can help.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

It can be a little tricky, some of the foods are listed without their brand names--these tend to be the premium foods that are more holistic formulae.

I realize you're way (way) up north, but maybe you could find an internet seller that would be able to deliver? You can use the internet to search for stores that sell some of the better brands--help to cut down the foot work in Edmonton, and maybe you could get someone who's going down to bring you back a couple of bags? Just google the brand names (Inova, Canidae, Solid Gold, etc.) they usually have a search engine to help you find a dealer.

Nutro isn't particularly bad, btw, you're dog will probably thrive on it. The business about Menadione is a bit troubling--it is a Vitamin K precurser that isn't allowed for humans because of toxicity.

Living so far north, you might consider BARF supplementing the kibble--bet there are lots of deer, elk, and bear guts that are just getting tossed out around there. Fresh fish? Homemade yogurt (I posted a recipe for making it with dried nonfat milk.)? You should be supplementing with clean, lowfat protein anyhow.

------------------------

BTW, I just check the current weather for Yellowknife. BRRRRRR!:eek: -11 F
at a little before 7 pm!!! You guys do have the most unique license plate in the world!!!

rainbow
November 30th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I don't think most people here realize that the distance between Yellowknife, NWT and Edmonton, AB is a little over 1500 kilometers over some pretty bad road in the winter time. :eek:

If Solid Gold Wolf Cub (for puppies) and Solid Gold Wolf King (for adults) is readily available at your local pet store that is what I would feed. My second choice would be the Eagle Pack (one of the holistic formulas).

Prin
November 30th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I don't think most people here realize that the distance between Yellowknife, NWT and Edmonton, AB is a little over 1500 kilometers over some pretty bad road in the winter time.

Easy pneasy. I used to WALK that distance to and from school in 10 feet of snow, with 80km/h winds and -200 windchill. :D

Yeah, the wolf cub is good enough, IMO.;)

If you do go with eagle pack, try your best to get one of the formulas without corn.;)

springermom0406
November 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Also remember, alot of these top quality foods don't make puppy formulas. The whole puppy formula thing is a gimick to me anyway. They can eat the same food as the adults. So, you will find alot of foods like Natural Balance, Timberwolf Organics, Natures Variety, etc. make "all life stages" foods.

Those 3 are probably the best IMO, I know TO is hard to find in certain areas of Canada though. Solid Gold is good, Eagle Pack HOLISTIC is good.. the rest of the Eagle Pack lines are not. Innova, Wellness, Chicken Soup for Pet Lovers, etc are some other good ones.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I don't think most people here realize that the distance between Yellowknife, NWT and Edmonton, AB is a little over 1500 kilometers over some pretty bad road in the winter time. :eek:

If Solid Gold Wolf Cub (for puppies) and Solid Gold Wolf King (for adults) is readily available at your local pet store that is what I would feed. My second choice would be the Eagle Pack (one of the holistic formulas).

Yeah most people that I know in Yellowknife fly to Edmonton instead of drive because of the roads.

Good luck with finding a good food. We used to have trouble here in Newfoundland too, but with more people getting involved, the choices are much better now.

Angies Man
November 30th, 2006, 11:49 AM

:offtopic:

You'd be surprised by what most of us in the 'lower 48' don't know about Alaska and the Northwest Territories. I looked at a map to see where Yellowknife was, but didn't even glance at the distance between it and Edmonton. (sorry)

I've been to Edmonton in the summer (I was a long haul truck driver) and it was probably one of the more fun trips I had, just because it was 'way up there' and out of the range of the trucking company's satellite comm. system. I'm sure I'm one of the very few in the lower 48 who's actually seen a NWT license plate--that wonderful Polar Bear design.

jessi76
November 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
can't you order better food online? that way, it's delivered to your house. Just be sure to place orders so your supply overlaps a bit. (you'd have to pay shipping this way though)

fyi - my dog puked alot and had what I called "bazooka butt" on Nutro. Didn't agree w/ his system AT ALL. once off it, he was fine.

jesse's mommy
November 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I'm with you jessi76. My Jesse didn't have "bazooka butt", but she did puke a lot. :shrug:

Prin
December 1st, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say their dog puked a lot of bile while on Nutro.:shrug:

Tazette
December 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll be checking them all out. I wish I could find Natural Balance in Edmonton, it's easy enough for me to get it shipped here for next to nothing, I just have to locate a store in Edmonton is all. As for finding the fresh stuff, I'm probably the worst person to ask, I'm not a big meat eater and because of that I don't even look at it in the grocery store. I guess if someone was to give me some for the dog I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't go looking for it.

Thanks for the comments on the licence plate, they're unique, that's for sure, I've had mine stolen once before...I have a back up plate now!

Tazette
December 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
What about Wellness from Old Mother Hubbard? Is that a decent brand? Sprocket loves the cookies with fruit in them, and they even smell pretty good!!! I notice they have fruit in their dog foods.

mafiaprincess
December 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Wellness is fine. Big step up from nutro and science diet. I like some bags better than others, but it's a much better choice any bag you picked.

Prin
December 3rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
I agree. It's a little grainy for some, but it's definitely better than the rest you mentioned thus far.:)

Tazette
December 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all your help. Wellness is available here, so we'll eventually switch him to that. I asked if they could get others in if requested and they asked me to come up with a few brand names and they'd see what they could do. I got a little scared with the comments on Nutru, as my friends do is allergic to everything and basically a vegetarian now beccause of it...he was on Nutro when he was little, so I'm hoping the food didn't cause the allergies. I still have 15lbs left and don't want to waste it unless I can find someone else who's dog is on it, in which case I'll give it to them.

Thanks sooooo much for your help.

:D

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
I wish I could find Natural Balance in Edmonton, it's easy enough for me to get it shipped here for next to nothing, I just have to locate a store in Edmonton is all.

In case the Wellness doesn't work out for your puppy as some dogs just don't do well on it, here's a list of stores that sell Natural Balance in Edmonton:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/can_cities.tpl

Tazette
December 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM
K, I've decided on Wellness while Sprocket is still a puppy because it's easy to get here in Yellowknife and it's one of the more decent brands we have here. When I put him on adult food, I should be more than familiar with what to look for and would have been to Edmonton by that time to enable me to see what they have there. I can get the food shipped here no problem, so that's not an issue at all, I think I just overloaded myself with info, which isn't good for someone who is so new to the "holistic" dog food world.

Thanks for all your help!! If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, I'll ge keeping myself glued to the different types of food out there so it's easier when I put Sprocket onto Adult food.

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I think I just overloaded myself with info, which isn't good for someone who is so new to the "holistic" dog food world.

Thanks for all your help!! If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, I'll ge keeping myself glued to the different types of food out there so it's easier when I put Sprocket onto Adult food.

LOL...we've all been there. :D Most of us will always be learning something new and we just post the info here for discussion. :o

A good website to check out is:

www.dogfoodproject.com

Check out the "foods to avoid" list as well as the other links on her page.
Good luck and we're all here for each other to answer any questions. :D

Tazette
December 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the web site rainbow, that'll definitley have me good to go by the time Sprocket gets into the adult food! :crazy:

~michelle~
December 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
braxton is on wellness white fish and potato, he does well on it... but i am switching him to evo rm..... its a pretty good deal for the money and he loves it