Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden got into some oily dirt and now he's stinky !

joeysmama
November 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
My friend's golden got out of the yard this morning, wandered across the street to say hello to the neighbor's doggies and came back smelly. There's some dirt there that had been contaminated with oil. Riley has a stinky oily smell now.

She bathed him but he still smells. Then she went to Bible Study and the lady next to her told her she smelled a little "skunky". :rolleyes:

I know tomato juice is supposed to be good for skunk odors--but what will work for oil?

Caite
November 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I would suggest washing him in a mild grease fighting dish soap, like dawn. It's what they use for animals afflicted by oil spills. This might work?

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM
dish soap, like dawn.

I second that.

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Dawn (but not the antibacterial kind - that can dry them out badly) will work for oil. HOWEVER, up close and personal skunk spray can smell not like you would expect and leave an oily residue that won't really come off. I would recommend using tomato juice (or a big can of tomato paste will work) and then dawn if he's still oily. My darling late beagley Max got nailed by a skunk once and it was like nothing I recalled a skunk smelling like, and he was oily, though it wasn't a dirt-like oily. Good luck, I hope he comes clean soon :pawprint:

H.P.
November 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I took in a Pom mix once that had been sleeping under a truck with an oil leak. I tried Dawn, but it did't help much (the poor thing was a wreck). I ended up using Go-Jo a hand cleaner that they use in garages, it did not seem to bother him, or hurt him, and he had HUGE hot spots, so if the Dawn doesn't work, you might try something like that. I would try the Dawn first, since it is proven save though!

happycats
November 29th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Corn starch is great for oil, and is non-toxic. I use it for drive way spills, laundry, and my one cat fell in a container of used motor oil (he waasn;t mine at the time, and was only a kitten) and I used corn starch, and it worked amazing.
Just rub it in, leave for a few minutes, then brush out, continue doing this until all traces of oil are gone.
Good Luck

Angies Man
November 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I took in a Pom mix once that had been sleeping under a truck with an oil leak. I tried Dawn, but it did't help much (the poor thing was a wreck). I ended up using Go-Jo a hand cleaner that they use in garages, it did not seem to bother him, or hurt him, and he had HUGE hot spots, so if the Dawn doesn't work, you might try something like that. I would try the Dawn first, since it is proven save though!

I think probably Go Jo is pretty safe--I'd use the orange clean type. Rub it in (don't pre-wet the fur) then rinse with LOTS of warm water.

As I have mentioned in the past, I do mechanical work--on days when I'm elbow deep in the grease and grime, I need to clean my hands frequently and Go Jo is my cleaner of choice, it contains lanoline so it kind of self conditions the skin. I wouldn't suggest eating it or licking it, so be sure that if you use it (or dish detergent) that you go the extra mile to make sure that it all gets rinsed out.