Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I move to P.E.I.?

HunterXHunter
November 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I have a 2nd interview scheduled for this Friday with a top 25 IT company. Assuming I get the position, I would have to move to Charlottetown, P.E.I. mostly-likely in early-mid Jan of next year. I am a little concerned though, for a few reasons:

1) I would, of course, take Hunter with me, but I'm worried about something happening with the airline and something happens to him (but it would be a really short flight, so should be ok?). And are there any special laws over at P.E.I. governing pets? (i.e. no pets on public transit unless it's a working dog, etc.)

2) New town, living on my own, everything new...:eek:

3) I would be leaving behind all my friends here in Toronto :sad: (yes, I would make some new friends at P.E.I., and I can always come back to visit, but I've known these people for 8+ years!!!)

4) My dad I'm not really worried about, but I would miss him :frustrated:

5) Bowling. I'm the anchor bowler on my team right now. And we didn't register any spare/reserve players, so if I leave, what's going to happen during playoffs? We have a chance at a top 3 finish and I would really hate to ruin it for my teammates.

What should I do? :frustrated: Any advice?

-Glen

Hunter's_owner
November 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I guess it depends on how good the job would be...

If you feel that the job would be worth the move then go for it. Like you said you will make new friends, and the internet makes keeping in touch very easy now.
The flight for Hunter wouldn't be too big of an issue, unless he is not used to be crated...then you would have to take that into consideration...

As for the pet laws in PEI, I'mnot sure at all. There is probably some government or city website that you could look into for more information...

Good luck with it all:)

HunterXHunter
November 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
The job description sounds pretty good, it's a big company, and it would definitely be more fun than working for the government :frustrated:

The flight for Hunter wouldn't be too big of an issue, unless he is not used to be crated...then you would have to take that into consideration...

It's funny you mentioned that because as a matter of fact, Hunter's never been in a crate before...:yell:

Hunter's_owner
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
The reason I mentioned it is because my Hunter has never been in a crate before either:eek:

So if I were to move then that would be a major issue. I think that we would have to drive just because of that reason. Hunjter is not good with being contained, no matter how big or small the space. It is part of his separation anxiety issues:(
So yeah, I guess you would have to find out how he would feel about being crated for that length of time, maybe get him used to it little by little:shrug:

OntarioGreys
November 29th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Toronto is very pet friendly compared to most of Canada and for that matter the province, you might even have a lot of trouble finding places to rent with a dog, if I am correct only in Ontario do renters have a right to have a dog in an apartment, all other provinces the dicision is up to the landlord and there may be restrictions on size. Here is an apartment search site

http://www.101apartments.com/rent/Prince-Edward-Island/

Pets and Smoking

May a landlord refuse to rent to a tenant who has pets or smokes?

Yes, a landlord may refuse to rent to a tenant who has pets or smokes.

If a no pets and no smoking clause is written into a lease and the landlord discovers that the tenant has a pet and/or smokes in the rental unit, is this grounds for the landlord to evict the tenant?

Yes, if a tenant breaches the rental agreement by having a pet or smoking in the rental premises this could result in an eviction.

Renting in Prince Edward Island

Rental of Residential Property Act

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/yogureho/fash/fash_010.cfm

Dog Parks in PEI
This comment gave me a chuckle I am gathering the park is far less than 10 and more acres in most Toronto dog parks One is 3 acres
This park is an awesome spot for all dogs and trainers. There is a lot of room for over ten dogs, and many benches and seats for owners. Water, toys, and equipment accessible. Free parking. Great socialization spot for dogs. I definately enjoy spending my time here!

http://www.pets.ca/dogparks/pei.htm

Dog friendly motels and campgrounds in PEI amounts to 6 total
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/us/cities/usonlinecityPECharlottetown.shtml
http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/us/cities/usonlinecityPECavendish.shtml

Rules at the National Park regarding dogs Pets are prohibited on all beaches between April 1 and October 15 annually, and in pubic buildings.

PEI dog act http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/d-13.pdf

Many smaller comunities do not allow dog even in taxis, Charlottetown only has a population of approx 15,000 chances are they so not have bus service i
Where I live has a pop of 34,000 so twice as big so has more to offer it has maybe 2 bus routes it only runs a few hours a day maybe once an hour and not enough people using and definitely not financially viable for it to maintain itself the city has talked often enough of cancelling the bus service.

I went from Kitchener to living in Woodstock, also went for Kitchener to a small town in the French River, it is quite a change to get use to for example All the stores when I first moved here would close by 5 pm weeknights except for friday, nightspots have grown with the automotive industry but used to be really limited for example I had the choice of a stripclub :frustrated: , hotel, or the legion none of which interested me as I was used to going to dance clubs, so quite the hard adaptation not having department stores to go to or really places to go entertainment. Christmas shopping has been a pain since I find I have to travel to larger cities otherwise I had to do my shopping in Walmart, and Walmart get old very fast being the only place outside of grocery stores to shop. Tim Hortons seemed to be the big hotspot around, the other thing you will really find lacking is the vet services, there will not be 24 hour emergency vets. The other thing in smaller towns everybody know everyone so lots of gossip, it will be friendly enough but at times you may find it too friendly after being in a large city. if a building starts on fire most of the town will be there that becomes the big social event to of the year. where do you like shopping now especially for clothes? If you are lucky there there might be a Walmart or Zellers and privately owned shops may not even have a mall. Depending on your interests and what you currently like to do in your spare time you might find small town living very dead especially after Toronto, so it should be something you need to consider. You may enjoy the laidback lifestyle or you end being very homesick very early on

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
What I do is set my mind on one way or the other, really set it, and then go to sleep and see what happens in the dreams...:shrug:

cpietra16
November 29th, 2006, 04:02 PM
If you are worried about flying, you can always drive...we did it from BC to Qc..with Winnie and she loved it.
As to the job and family, friends...you can always come back 2x a year if finances permit and as to new friends...you'll make so many, you'll be surprised. When I left for BC I thought I would alone for a long long time without knowing anyone...but I was very wrong, especially in a small area.
Good luck.

SnowDancer
November 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Re the flying, we moved from Ottawa to Calgary in 1980 and then to Toronto in 1982 and had to fly our Beagle and cat - neither of which had ever been crated. They managed just fine - had to go as live cargo. We moved to Calgary in July, but back to Toronto January 1 - so cold. But plane was a 747 - not sure what equipment would be used to get to PEI. Also the airlines - I have been told that Air Canada does not offer year round service to PEI - due to competition from another airline, so I guess you would have to check with them. I guess you will have to make your decision if an offer is made. I worked for a crown corporation in Ottawa - my husband for an accounting firm. Let's say I am not suited to working for the government! Was told way to often to slow down.

HunterXHunter
November 29th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I guess I should wait 'til the 2nd interview is over and see if I get the offer first. I don't really plan to make a career there anyway. I was hoping it would be a stepping stone for greater things to come :fingerscr

Let's say I am not suited to working for the government! Was told way to often to slow down.

YES! I totally agree...if the government was a bakery, they'd have to get a one week headstart to bake cookies for tmr:eek:

I'm so bored working for the government...

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I guess as a Maritimer I have to be an advocate from my region. I do not live in PEI but know many who do - and have no probs with pets. It is true we have few dog parks here but most ofos us are not keen on them to start with. We tend to be a small region with friendly people so there is lots of space for walking and playing with a pet. I think a dog park is more or less an urban invention which says more about our society and where it is going than about whether different parts of the country cater better to pets.

Charlottetown may be too small for you and I like Hfx personally and while it has many walking places and parks where dogs are just invited like everyone else, it is not as large as Toronto. I guess is just interesting to me how people view other parts of the country and make assumptions. Charlottetown does indeed have a bus service tho I am sure it is hardly up to par with TO's in size. <g> I am ever hopeful as an environmentalist that ppl here will use mass transit more but it is not a concept easily accepted outside of metro Hfx and Saint John or Moncton. Hfx has a superb transit system and Charlottetown is doing well with a system that does not pay for itself - it os like many transit systems in this country, subsidized.

Keep in mind that the Maritime Vet School is in Charlottetown and it is actually - from what i hear from family and friends - a great place to raise a family, pets included. Small places tend not to need dog parks and I guess that is where my hesitation about them comes from too. We have so many open fields and parks that dogs and animals are allowed that I have not yet come to terms to be honest with the notion of a dog park. I never needed one here when I had dogs and would not now either. In Hfx, our main public parks are open to pets as well as people.

I do not know about renting though - Except when I was a student, I have always had a house in this region. And I had no difficulty finding landlords (kind of sexist term -so I am trying to think of another, lol - owners maybe?). You could always find a house to exchange - I have a cousin who moved ironically to work WITH the govt in PEI and she exchanged a home with a prof at UPEI and thus did not worry about searching for a condo or apt that accepted pets. I would think with all those vet students and profs that Charlottetown has to have some friendly apt bldgs - I mean financially, the Vet School is the only one for the Maritimes, highly regarded and brings in money and prestige to the city. Given that, they have no choice but to like cats and dogs and rabbits and and... lol

You prob won't find a dog park (and you know, I still have a hard time understanding why people want to restrict themselves to one park for their dog, I guess it sounds like segregation to me but then I live in a small city , only 1/4 million ppl, most of whom grew up in small towns and villages and want to retain that Maritime flavour while enjoying the civic amenities of a city.) In PEI, you will find parks where lots of people who may not even have pets will welcome them in a park. And they WILL ask if they can pet your cat or dog first - most of the time. Like everywhere else, we do have a few eejits.

If you grew up in the city, it may take some adjustment to live in a small city like Charlottetown but you may find the benefits outweigh the negative factors but then again, it depends on what your priorities are in life and that I do not know. PEI just recently accepted Sunday shopping all year round but their previous policy of a few Sundays before Christmas was knd of quaint. (if not politically correct given that not all of us are Christians tho in PI, I'd venture to say most ppl are.)

We all used to joke about Quebec having the law of being unable to turn right on a red light (changed I know) and for PEI, the law most Islanders moan about is the fact you cannot buy cans of soda or pop (whatever you choose to call soft drinks -we had a previous discussion on that, lol) It is a very conservationist oriented place. A bit like Vermont (minus the Green Mtn logo, lol)in that way and I briefly lived in Vt and loved it. (Granted, I also lov Boston, lol) Anytime I see someone at Costco in Mtn or Hfx with boxes of canned pop, I figure they are having a party or are from PEI. (I think they are reviewing the law tho).

Don't let your notions of Anne of Green Gables fool you. We may be small in the Maritimes but we are not uneducated, unsophisticated (actually, there are more PhD's per capita where I live than any where else in Canada) or country bumpkins. And we do try to be kind and helpful.

I am not sure I would live in Ch'town o be honest but I need to be somewhere where I can teach at a med school and do research. (Tho the Queen Elizabeth Hospital there is run by a former VP of the hospital I am affiliated with and is excellent, just not close enough to Dal, lol). Now if I were a veterinarian and wanted to do research on how to better care for animals, Charlottetown would be perfect!

Anyway - that's my humble opinion.

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I went to Vancouver by plane with my 2 cats (years ago) my vet sold me some "cat valiums" and you could get some for Hunter. Have you made a list yet ? Pros and cons ? It is a big decision but you're young, it's time to do it,if you want to that is.

happycats
November 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Go with your gut!

Jobs come and go, but friends and family are forever.
I personally would not do it (nothing against PEI) I just know people who have moved far away and left everything behind, and I find most have regretted their decision. The only time I think it works is if there is nothing here worth staying for. JMO

jiorji
November 29th, 2006, 09:59 PM
list of pros and cons is a good idea. Also you're young! give it a change, if it fails, then at least you have an experience. I moved from TO to Montreal last year on my own not knowing anyone here....well my dad's friend lives in the other building but we don't hang out lol

Do you make friends easily Hunter? That;s the only thing I'd see a problem with. If you're open and make friends easily i see nothing going wrong and you won't be lonely if you make new friends fast.:thumbs up

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Jobs come and go, but friends and family are forever.
I personally would not do it (nothing against PEI) I just know people who have moved far away and left everything behind, and I find most have regretted their decision. The only time I think it works is if there is nothing here worth staying for. JMO

I came back after 3 months in Vancouver. I did miss everyone.

jesse's mommy
November 29th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Then there is me, I have no desire to move back up North. I'm perfectly fine being 900 miles away from my family. :o

rainbow
November 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Me too. I'm only 600 miles away but wish it was further. ;)

TeriM
November 30th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I visited Nova Scotia & PEI a few years ago and absolutely loved it. The people there were extremely friendly and welcoming. If you feel you are due for a life change then go for it! If you don't have a car then consider renting one and driving out to PEI instead of flying. That way you can take all your urgent crap plus Hunter's stuff. Good luck with a tough decision.

Hunter's_owner
November 30th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah it is a tough decision indeed. Like the others said you can list the pros vs. cons for going to see how that looks. Like you said you don't have to decide yet anyways, you can wait until after the second interview, and if you get the job.

As for keeping in touch with people and regretting decisions to move...I know a lot, almost all of my really good friends actually, have moved out West:(
We keep in touch, and most of them come home every year, some come home more often. We keep in touch with most of them. And I can probably only think of 3 or 4 right of the top of my head that really regretted their decision. :shrug: and some of those even with time, stuck through it and are now enjoying where they are.

HunterXHunter
November 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone :D :thumbs up, and yeah, I guess I will wait for the results from the 2nd interview tomorrow.

I guess I'm somewhat indifferent as to whether they hire me or not. The pros and cons are fairly balanced.

OntarioGreys:
I forgot to thank you for all the wonderful and useful links you put up :D
...and Yikes! There's no apartment listings in P.E.I. :eek:

OntarioGreys
November 30th, 2006, 09:52 AM
CyberKitten please do not think I was Knocking the maritimes or making it seem backwards, because that is not what I am doing or saying
If Glen had asked about moving to a small town in Ontario, my comments would be pretty much the same. When you grow up in a big city, you get used to having all sort of amenities available and almost instant conveniences, they become part of the norm something you don't really think about, even something as simple as finding a place that sells super premium dogfood will be a harder, and petstores in small cities and small towns will likely be closed on a Sunday, so things like keeping a eye an the amount of dog food in the house will be another factor, if Glen is working say 9am to 5:30 pm Monday thru Thurs many of the smaller petstores will be closed, so he has plan his pet food shopping for Friday or Saturday so as not to run out.

For myself the first few months were fine but then the novelty wore off and I found myself really missing big city life and became very homesick and found myself hating being in a small city especially lack of conveniences and things to do , I eventually did adjust and accept and now would find it hard to go back to big city living,

For Glen and others who have careers which allow freedom to move around with in their field, it may not be the same feeling because if you don't like it there you know you can find another job in your field elsewhere, you are not feeling like you are forced to stay put in one place for a good part of your life whereas for me the job is a 30 year commitment at the same location at which time I would recieve full retirement pension which restricts somewhat where I can live during that time frame, so at the time thinking of have to stay for the next 29 years did not make things easier, my son was 12 then and he hated it just as much as myself maybe more so since his desire to leave lasted almost 10 years, as a young adult couldn't wait to get away and ended up moving to BC was there for 1 year came back, then move to Brantford again for 1 year then came back, and has just recently bought a home here, so enough time spent anywhere even if you hate it at first, can eventually grow on you.

CyberKitten
November 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I hear you Ontario Greys and actually I too am in a profession where every other week I am being recruited and I spent many yrs in Boston (loved it!!) but and I think you are right about small towns. I guess I was trying to say that while Charlottetown may be small, it is not a difficult place to live, esp if you love your pet. I myself wished I was living there a few yrs back when my bunny was sick and the best bunny specialist was in Charlottetown (bec of the vet school) and thus I spent much time driving back and forth there. I am not certain I'd have wanted to live there before the Confederation Bridge (aka the "fixed link") given the feeling of isolation an island can create. Then again, as those of us who are of Irish descent say, "Thank God we'e surrounded by water" but I think that is supposed to refer to Ireland, lol (another place that has undergone immense change!)

I guess it all comes down to what you want in life. I think I would choose to live in the Maritimes even if I was not from here but coming from here does help since I have friends and family close or at least not too far away (tho J;s Mom, I know what you mean too, I am always happy when my folks may their trek to Tampa Bay for the winter, lol - you know what I mean, lol). I rather like living in a small town not far from Hfx tho I do keep a condo in the city. I recall being at the Pearson Airport and my seatmate told me he was from a small town. When I posed the Q where, he said "Winnipeg". I assured him Winnipeg was much bigger than my small community where I meet a postal clerk downtown and she tells me my utility bill is in and that I have a letter from "your friend from BC", lol So I guess while small towns can be intrusive and everyone knows your business, - not to mention your genealogical tree five generations removed - there uis also much comfort in that. Plus I am close enuf to Hfx (where I work most of the time) that there is nothing I can't find there that I'd have to go to the US for. (well the US does not have Smarties or King Cole Tea (which I have to bring my parents when I go to visit them, lol) but then again, growing up in NB, I had the best of so many worlds, lived close to the US border, close to the Quebec border which meant as a teenager one only had to be 18 to drink, lol (My nephew from Boston came to my woodlot and area in northern NB mainly for that reason on his 18yth birthday - not that I am condoning drinking by teens. He is atypical kid, graduated from univ now).

I could never live far from the water - I have always had to have a home and an office where I can look out over the water.

But I suspect all of us are like that regarding our home regions. So many Maritimers have to leave and it is sad - they long to return and so many even work "away" while coming back now and then. I could live in Mtl I think but Toronto just stifled me - I prob was in the wrong part of the city but I am used to walking and talking to people even if I do not know them and ppl there looked at me as if I was nuts when I did that there. I guess I am too used to living in a place where it is seen as impolite not to say hello. :) I am sure there are parts of the city that are just fine.

I don't know Hunter if my ranting helps you. If you have no friends at all in PEI - and you take the job - rest assured you will have some soon! And you can also be assured you will have access to great vet care! You can always come visit me in Hfx if you really get lonely for a larger city. (Charlottetown has 2 small malls - it is not somewhere one goes for shopping. Most PEIers come to Moncton - shopping hub of the Maritimes - for shopping. Hfx also has good shopping but I still like some of the stores in Mtn better, lol

At any rate, good luck with the job if you are offered it.

Angies Man
November 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM
You should go. Your dog will be okay, give him a light tranquilizer for the flight.

It's probably a great small place to live--I've liked the small towns I've lived in a lot more than living in cities (such as Reno.) True there may not be as many things to do in small towns, but people get a chance to know you and care about you.

If you get the job, make a contract with yourself to give it 2 years. If you can't stand if after a year and a half, look for another job back in T.O, or where-ever.

If someone offered me a good job in P.E. I. (even tho it's a foreign place for me) I'd sure give it a lot of thought. (A good job in Maui? I wouldn't even have to think about it :) )

HunterXHunter
December 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM
The 2nd interview went pretty well today (at least, I thought so...). If they do give me the offer, it looks like I probably will take it.

You know what the interesting thing about this whole job? I didn't apply to it. Nope. I just posted my resume on monster.ca and the guy called me :eek: I thought that only happens in the commercials (ok, secretly I was hoping they would send me a fruit basket of some sort as well :p )

Hunter's_owner
December 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
You mean that actually happens???

I was like you and thought that that only happens in the commercials too. Wow!!! If I ever start to dislike my job, I will have to give that a try:)

HunterXHunter
December 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I just got a call and given an offer. The expected start date would be Jan 08/2007, and it will be in a building ready for Jan. It has a lakeside view, and 5 mins. away is some new apartments also with a beautiful lakeside view. The only problem: no pets allowed. :(

I'm going to continue searching, but I think I would have to look for a house to rent rather than an apartment since the chances of them allow pets are somewhat higher. But the question in my mind is: What IF I can't find a place that will allow pets :confused: :confused: Should I still take the job :confused:

TeriM
December 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
No :yell: . No dog, no job. I'm sure if necessary you could push back your start date to find a place to live. Would they pay for a house hunting trip? Real estate to buy might be a good option for you.

Inverness
December 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
You might want to start looking into alternatives to transport... very often, the airlines will not take live cargo in January if the weather is very cold.

jiorji
December 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
What IF I can't find a place that will allow pets :confused: :confused: Should I still take the job :confused:

it's weird...it's kind of like we jinxed you. Remember back a few months when you wanted a second dog and everybody said that you might find it hard to find a dog friendly place with one dog?

well this is a decision you'll have to make on your own. What if you take the job and then there's no place that allows dogs? You can cancel at the last minute so i guess it's worth a try. I just hope the last resort won't be leaving Hunter behind.

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
To me, Hunter comes first.....he is your responsibility. Are you able to go to P.E.I. now to look for a place that accepts dogs? Have you told your prospective employer that you need to find such a place before you can accept the position? Perhaps, they will be able to help you locate a place. :shrug:

HunterXHunter
December 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
This is what my dad is suggesting:

Since I've never been to P.E.I. and it's gonna be all new for me. Go to P.E.I. on my own first and find a place to stay. Then once things get settled, start looking for a place that allows pets. Then come back and fly back over with Hunter when it's warmer (my friend-who's-like-a-sister-to-me is getting married in August so I'll for sure come back in August).

It sounds like a pretty good plan, and it does make a lot of sense...but I dunno...8 months without Hunter :confused:

Frenchy
December 4th, 2006, 09:20 PM
It sounds like a pretty good plan, and it does make a lot of sense...but I dunno...8 months without Hunter :confused: Did you look on mls.ca for houses for sales ? You can get a pretty affordable one in this area....so you could bring Hunter with you.

TeriM
December 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Awww, it would be hard enough in a new place without having your best bud with you :sad: . Plus it's easier to meet people with pets IMO because we are more social.

CyberKitten
December 5th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I would go to PEI, even ask the company if they can help you - in ppl whop recruit me and who think I am being a good negotiator ( which of course is not true, I just do not care to move, lol) - keep upping the ante, some have offered to buy houses, or offer them rent free, etc, etc, But I am (prob like you) in a field for which there is great demand.

(I used to think how wonderful it was I wrote a column in the newspaper as a teenager till I realized my family owned it, lol - sort of the press is free if you own kind of thing). Of course, that also means debating my dad - not that he hands on so much but you do find yourself self censoring, not good! (for any reporter!)

What about putting up ads at the univ. I know some docs there, I will ask if they know of any house available, or condos if you like. I do not want to poke my nose where it does not belong tho - as we say here in the Maritimes. I also have a friend who runs a CA firm in Charlottetown and he knows everyone there I think - I can also ask him to have "his people" check, if you like. And I have a cousin who lives in rural PEI - she prefers that to Charlottetown, amazingly, lol (But seriously I do understand her). And I know some politicians on the island. And the curling champion.... and ... and....

I'll make some calls but only if you don't mind.

But I do think going there and reading the Charlottetown Guardian - classified section may be online I think. http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?pid=60&ctid=525

Good luck!!

HunterXHunter
December 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM
CyberKitten: Sure. If it's not too much trouble, please ask your friends :D But...I will be working in Stratford (just a bit across the bridge that connects it to downtown Charlottetown) and I don't know how the public transit is like in PEI, but I heard there's none on the Stratford side :frustrated:

I know beggars can't be choosers, but if your friends have some place that's pretty close it would be amazing, I wouldn't have a car anytime soon so walking might be my method of transportation to work if possible (because it would be embarrassing to tell my supervisor first day on the job "I'm gonna be late because I took the wrong bus and I'm on the other side of P.E.I. :o )

...I'm a little worried :confused: and a somewhat lost...I don't know what I should, and in what order. I've never moved out on my own to another province before. So I guess I would have to get new driver's license, health card (is there a PEI equivalent of OHIP?), and all sorts of stuff :yell:

HunterXHunter
December 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Oh man...I just looked at the apartments in the classifieds in The Guardian (thanks CyberKitten :D ) and there were 50 listings!! But most were too far, and the ones that were left were "No pets" :( Grrrr....

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM
You have 3 months to get your license and all that sorted out, so don't worry too much about that...;)

HunterXHunter
December 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
You have 3 months to get your license and all that sorted out, so don't worry too much about that...;)

But no car :sad:

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
[B]I don't know what I should, and in what order.
Number 1 ; breathe. Number 2 ; make a list with someone who will help you (someone who will be thinking clearer than you,less stressed) and then breathe again.

HunterXHunter
December 5th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Number 1 ; breathe. Number 2 ; make a list with someone who will help you (someone who will be thinking clearer than you,less stressed) and then breathe again.

I hope it's a short list then...:crazy:

Frenchy
December 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I hope it's a short list then...:crazy:

:yell: You have to breathe in between too :p I move to Vancouver more than 10 years ago,only stayed 3 months because I couldn't find a job there but it was very exciting.My BF (now ex) was working all the time so I was the one who found the appartement,did the shopping etc... I got a map and it was pretty easy because of the public transit there. If you ever want to do it, the time is now while you're still young :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
December 6th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yeah I agree. Make a list. But don't be overwhelmed by everything that you have to do. Take it one thing at a time, and like Frenchy said, breathe in between;)

With taking things one thing at a time without being overwhelmed by everything else, you would be amazed at how manageable it could be.

Again good luck, I hope everything will soon fall into place for you.:fingerscr