Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

THE HONEST KITCHEN dog foods

Goldens4Ever
November 29th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I haven't seen any threads about this line of food; it is a dehydrated raw meat diet. Anyone heard of it??? What do you think???

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I wonder if the ingredients are measured before drying or after... It makes a huge difference and in this case, judging by the protein levels, I'd say before...

I mean, I have a pack of freeze dried salmon, and it's 62% protein (if I'm remembering properly).

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 01:38 AM
But the preference one might be ok for kidney issue doggies..:thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
November 29th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I just read the feeding instructions on the website. It said to measure the food dry, so 1 cup of dry food measured out equals 1 lb. of food when it's hydrated. It looks really neat and this food has won a lot of top dog food awards. I am looking at the Embark formula, as both my girls do well with fish, turkey, and lamb proteins (no bison, chicken, or beef). Hhhmmm.....we just went to Madison today & purchased 4 33# bags of TO Lamb, Barley, & Apple ($275.00), which will only last us two months, as they go through about two bags per month since the kibble is so teeny tiny; that's over $100 bucks a month! :eek: I'm wondering if this would be a better route; more economical & more nutritous.......??? Anyone have any thoughts?

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
you really have to determine your cost per day, per dog, to see if it's more economical... it would be more healthy though. another way to "stretch" kibble, add variety and nutrition to a commercial dry diet is to add fresh foods such as raw or cooked meats, fish, cottage cheese, healthy table scraps, steamed veggies, and replace a few meals per week with raw chicken backs, necks, turkey necks, etc (it cleans the teeth really well and adds some live nutrients to the diet). :)

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Hmm.. I pay well over $100 now I think with my two.. About $4 a day for the two of them...:o

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
same here... about $3 to $4 per day for the two beanies (195 lbs of dog, combined!). they're on a raw diet though, with a little kibble thrown in a few meals per week.

Goldens4Ever
November 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah-when you break it down to how much it is to feed two dogs, per day, it's only like $3.50 or so, which isn't bad! I never thought of it from the day-to-day cost perspective. Wow, I just thought of this--if people can get away with buying really big bags of food for super cheap, they are feeding their dogs for only about 5 cents per day or less :eek: :sick: YIKES.

I am going to look into this Honest Kitchen though, I keep thinking about the RAW diet.....I know it's better and more nutritous; that's a no-brainer. But, I am just so leary about taking the chance to see if my girls will do well on it since we've already had so many problems. I also like the fact that the foods have been dehydrated; that may be a good babystep to take before going completely RAW.

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM
if people can get away with buying really big bags of food for super cheap, they are feeding their dogs for only about 5 cents per day or less Yeah, but then they average out to $4-$5 when you factor in the vet bills...:rolleyes:

Goldens4Ever
November 29th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Oh yeah-

About stretching the kibble so that it goes further.....instead of replacing some of the kibble with meats & veggies, I add meats & veggies to it. But, I guess I could leave out a bit of the kibble when I do add that stuff. Both Goldie & Aspen do well with cooked turkey & fish. We don't give Aspen any beef, so Goldie is the only one who gets some cooked beef liver, steak, hamburger, etc. I think Goldie would do fine with chicken too. Aspen is the one we have to watch out for with food allergies. A long time ago, Goldie was on Solid Gold's Wolf King, which is a Bison formula, & she displayed some allergic symptoms, so we placed both her & Aspen on Lamb & Barley formulas, & we haven't had any problems since. But, again, I am interested in The Honest Kitchen's Embark formula, which is made from turkey. I think they both would do fantastic!!!

Goldens4Ever
November 29th, 2006, 01:37 PM
If I did my math correctly, it would cost roughly $227.50/month to feed my two girls this. A 10lb. bucket of the dry product equals about 40-43lbs. of food when hydrated; 1 cup of it dry = 1lb. of food when hydrated.

My girls would need 2.25 cups per day (4.5 cups total each day). This is roughly 135lbs. of hydrated food per month. Each 10lb. resealable bag is $70. So, calculated that I would get 41lbs. of hydrated food from a 10lb. bag, I would need a little over THREE 10lb. bags per month so that I could get the 135 lbs. of hydrated food. $70 x 3.25 = $227.50. Right now it costs us $100/month, that is a difference of $127.50. WOAH :sad: Per day, that food would be $7.58. I am pretty sure I calculated this correctly. If not, please let me know.