Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ginger

x.l.r.8
November 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
As ever, I'm looking for new treats for Riley (the cats are easy, chicken and tuna) and the thing that he go's mad over is Ginger, if I hold a chocolate digestive in front of hos nose and say leave he does, a ginger snap has him feet up on the sofa tring to lick my fingers. So I was going to make some treats but I was wondering what catergory Ginger falls into, good or bad? I did a search and got no additional information.

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Wondering why you are practicing the leave it command with chocolate cookies for a dog..
Wouldn't it be a better idea not to use something that if ingested, though likely a small enough amount not to cause great harm shouldn't have been an option?

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
MP, I was wondering the same thing... :confused:

most pet supply stores have TONS of treats. look for those used in training. they are often bags of small tidbits, which are alot safer than chocolate or gingersnaps.

some to look for (all of which my dog loves, and I've used quite often for treats and for training)

Solid Gold Jerky
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=13&code=313

Real Meat treats
http://www.whitedogbone.com/acatalog/Wilderness_Dog_Treats.html

Liver Biscotti
http://www.liverbiscotti.com/

Freeze dried meats & seafood. some raw-diet companies offer treats. My dog sampled Freeze Dried Clams and LOVED them. They make great treats.

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ginger is fine if you are cooking with it ~ not raw (it's very hot & spicy). Store bought cookies for humans have waaayyyyy to much sugar but you could always bake your own apple & ginger crunchy dog treats.

barkley21
November 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I've heard people using ginger cookies (not the sugary human kind) to settle their dog's somach before car rides and I heard it works wonderfully and the dogs love them, but I have never personally tried it because my pup seems to do fine in the car.

PS-I agree that you should stay away from the chocolate treats...even if you are teaching "leave it". There are so many safer treats you could use for that and get the same result.

x.l.r.8
November 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
You mean I can't use Chocolate? ;) (I'm kidding)
The chocolate cookies are MINE, as I sit down they come into Rileys height, I can say 'leave' and he will, if the ginger cookies are in my hand and I sit down whatever I say he just licks my hand with the cookies in, there is nothing else he will do this with. I'm not using them for training, I do read this forum:thumbs up I use only raw onions and grapes (still kidding). I was just wondering, if ginger is his weakness maybe I can exploit it :D and make some training treats with it rather than baking garlic on the liver try using ginger, I just couldn't find anything that said yes or no to using it. As for store brought, I'm happy just using my own thanks, I tried rollover and he wasn't to impressed, we haev roasts every 2-3 days I just take some meat when I'm, carving and chop it into small pieces and put it into freezer bags. It's the only time he gets any scraps.
He know 'leave-it' just not with the ginger biscuits, but thanks for thinking I give him chocolate :frustrated: , I feed him exclusivly on ol'roy dinner rounds, he loves them, :p (yes that was a joke too!)
OK I've been offended enough so I'm going to play with ginger and I know I have some chicken and liver in the freezer. I may be onto something here. :fingerscr

jessi76
November 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM
xlr8, while I appreciate your saracasm, always be aware that this site has a large number of "guests" reading our posts. I'd hate to have someone see a post about chocolate (or other equally dangerous foods) and assume it's safe for dogs. We had no idea that you weren't serious in your first post. If you DO read alot on here, you should see that we tend to post things rather to be safe than sorry.

x.l.r.8
November 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Chocolate was my example, I could have said apollo treats, but I'm not sure that would be any better ;) and the chocolate is definatly for ME. Most dogs go a bit nuts for the 'c' word, I can stop him eating any of MY food, chicken, tuna, whatever, I can put my plate on the floor and tell him to leave and get a drink knowing it would be safe, he would be staring at it believing he can will it closer but he will leave it, a ginger snap wouldn't stand a chance. I shouldn't have used chocolate :sorry: as my example, and I should have explained more fully but I asked a specific question on ginger, not what i am doing to train my dog, if I eluded that I was using chocolate or human biscuits again :sorry: I usually go on a bit so was having a go at keeping it short, didn't figure on running into the posting police. :rolleyes:
I was serious in my first post, i have him traind to leave, that would be what ever I don't want him getting into, be it the garbage, linen basket, MY COOKIES, the pot puri, or the toilet roll. I ensure he LEAVES chocolate. For penance any one looking please read very carefully

The Ten Common Foods That Can Be Harmful (Even Deadly to Your Pet)
Probably the Most Well-Known Harmful Food for Your Dog is Chocolate
But certain nuts can be toxic too;

1. Chocolate --There is a chemical in chocolate, theobromine, that can cause epileptic seizures in dogs. It can also cause increased heart rate, over stimulation of the central nervous system and constriction of arteries. Symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea and hyper behavior to cardiac failure, seizures and death. Baking chocolate is the most lethal because it has the highest amount of theobromine.
If you suspect your dog has eaten some chocolate and is very agitated, put Rescue Remedy (available at most health food stores) in her water and feed her a lot of water to flush the system.
If your dog has eaten a lot of regular chocolate (or a lesser amount of dark chocolate, since it’s stronger) try to induce vomiting. Give one teaspoon to one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally, depending on the dog's weight. If the dog does not vomit up the chocolate, or if he shows signs of illness such as repeated vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, excessive panting or seizures, get to the veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

2. Moldy or spoiled foods –If you wouldn’t eat it, don’t give it to your pet. Food gone bad can cause symptoms from diarrhea to mycotoxin poisoning.

3. Avocados contain a toxic component called persin. This can damage heart, lung and other tissue in animals. Avocados are also high in fat and can cause stomach upset and vomiting. Additionally, the pit is toxic, and if it gets stuck in the intestinal tract, it can cause a severe blockage requiring surgery. No guacamole for Fido. Skip the sour cream too.

4. Avoid Salt in Your Pet’s Food Can cause electrolyte imbalances—imbalances in the natural potassium, sodium, chloride, calcium, and phosphorous make up of the body.

Most all-natural treats will be made without salt-- whether you buy them or bake them yourself, you won’t find salt in the list of ingredients. Though it can creep in, do you make dog treats using canned broth or bouillon cubes? Go for the low sodium ones.

5. Fatty foods-like Chicken Fat and other meat fat-- Fatty foods can lead to gastrointestinal upset, digestive disorders and pancreas inflammation. Symptoms of inflammation include abdomen pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and depression, and this condition can even result in death.

6. Onions-- Onions and onion powder can damage pets' red blood cells causing anemia and breathing difficulties. Be aware if you feed baby food to your dog that many of them are high in salt content and onion flavor. Skip it. If you must use baby food to feed your dog, go organic. Although I am sure I have seen it listed in premium dog foods.

7. Some Nuts-- walnuts and macadamia are two types I know about.?
8. Bread Dough—It can rise in their stomachs causing abdominal pain, bloat, and vomiting. Surgery might be required to remove it if they’ve eaten a lot. If you’re baking bread, keep the dough well out of the reach of curious pets.

9. Grapes and/or Raisins have been linked with kidney failure if eaten in large doses according to the Animal Poison Control Center

10. Caffeine and Alcohol—They may be part of our lives, but they shouldn’t be part of our pets. Keep them away from pets. An ounce of alcohol can put a pet into a coma. Caffeine can affect the central nervous system and heart.