Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I messed up my dog

H.P.
November 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
In hindsight, I am not sure which thing caused the problem, but I am also not sure what to do now.

I have been baby-gating Sydney (6 months old) in the bed room for the past week or 2 during the day while I am at work with no problem. Prior to that she was in a kennel while I was gone. Yesterday I came home and she had torn up (by digging I think) a good size area of carpet by the door that goes outside.:evil:

My errors that could have contributed to this:

1. We were out of routine, we had been at my Mom's for 4 days/nights, she had tons of attention, and was rarely left alone, and when she was alone, she was kenneled.

2. When I left to go to work, I forgot my sunglasses in the bedroom, it was easier to go back in through the back door, straight into the bedroom where she was, grab the glasses, tell her to be a good dog, and leave throught the same door. So, perhaps she was trying to follow me.

Today, I left her in her kennel while I was gone, but I don't like to do that, I think that she needs more room than it allows. I am thinking that tomorrow, I will leave her baby gated in the bedroom again, but not use that door. Do you think that she has had time to remember our routine and that I will come back? The other option is to keep her in her kennel again tomorrow or the bathroom, which is not much bigger, and finish puppy proofing the house tomorrow night, so that she can run loose after that. Opinions? Other ideas? Suggestions?

LavenderRott
November 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
IMHO - Six months is too young to be left home alone loose. My pom is almost 2 and he is not allowed to be loose in my apartment if I am going any further then the laundry room.

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I don't trust my 6 month lab by himself yet. He is crated when I am out but as a transition method I have started to barricade part of our upstairs hallway so that he can have his big comfy dog bed and toys but still stays in a very contained area. I think if I left him in our bedroom he would destroy the pillows, clothes, blankets etc.

tenderfoot
November 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Kenneling him is the best choice until he matures. The next few months he is going to be going through his teenage stride and that can be tougher than the puppy stages. I highly recommmend that you take him to doggie daycare a few times a week to help him release some energy and get some great socialization. Otherwise be sure to keep up a good play/exercise regime.

Don't worry about the messed up routine - just get back on schedule and perhaps increase the exercise.

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I have NEVER kenneled or restricted my dogs to one area of the house at any age, 6 weeks, 6 monts , 6 years.... I have never had a problem with too much out of the ordinary destruction... ( dogs do dog things) If they are bored, they will find something to occupy them! End of story. I have always made sure that there was TONS of fun things for puppies and that the house was puppy proofed.

Now, yes I am not for crating or kenneling, but if used properly I think it could be a wonderful training tool to someone else... I would hazard a guess and say your dog got bored. It needs more stimulating toys which are randomly switched up... The best suggestion i can offer.

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't leave a 6 month dog uncrated either. My 2 year old is allowed to be in my bedroom for an hour and a half max alone.. and that's new this month. Otherwise it's into the crate. Too much to get into alone.

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Today, I left her in her kennel while I was gone, but I don't like to do that, I think that she needs more room than it allows

dogs that are crate trained normally end up LOVING their crate. it's their safe spot, their "den". I agree a pup needs TONS of exercise, but while you're not home, she's not going to be doing laps or running a triathalon. resting or quietly chewing on an appropriate toy is fine for a few hours. my dog is 1-1/2 yrs old, and I still crate him when I leave. occassionally I will leave him free in the house if I run to the store, but if I'm to be gone longer than 1/2 hr, he's crated. and I've noticed he has NO anxiety while crated, but when free, he runs to windows any time he hears a noise.

I strongly recommend you continue to crate train at this age. If you feel the crate is too small for the dog, buy a larger crate. or perhaps check online for a 2nd hand one (cheaper). My dog is 50lbs, but spends 4 hours in the morning crated in a wire crate built for a 100lb dog, so there is plenty of room to stand, turn, stretch out, comfortably chew on a KONG, etc...

6mth old pups left in bedrooms for a few hours will make their own fun. she just wrecked the carpet this time, next time could be your bed.

H.P.
November 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Well, I guess that Sydney will be heading back to her crate tomorrow. She does like her crate and really seems to be calmer when I get home if she has been in it. Maybe she does still need the security of it. It is a large crate (42 x 27 x 31 inches) and she is only 40 lbs. So, she should be ok I guess. I never crated my other inside dogs (didn't need to, just out of school and didn't have anything for them to destroy:p ), and it was making me feel guilty to keep her in one. When she is older though, I think we will try the freedom thing again. Thanks for the reassurance.

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Don't beat yourself up too much kiddo ~ these things are bound to happen. If crating was working well, why mess with a good thing? Perhaps you're thinking you wouldn't want to be crated? I know it wouldn't do much for me but doggies are different ~ they shnoooze for most of the day when alone. If you are truly unhappy at the thought of crating her during the day, you could always McGyver the crate with a secured x-pen so she could have a "den" and "corral". I strongly support the suggestion of daycare a few times a week though or if that isn't possible a group puppy walk with a professional walker~ a great way to get out some of the ya-ya's and meet other furrkids.

OntarioGreys
November 29th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I have NEVER kenneled or restricted my dogs to one area of the house at any age, 6 weeks, 6 monts , 6 years.... I have never had a problem with too much out of the ordinary destruction... ( dogs do dog things) If they are bored, they will find something to occupy them! End of story. I have always made sure that there was TONS of fun things for puppies and that the house was puppy proofed.

Now, yes I am not for crating or kenneling, but if used properly I think it could be a wonderful training tool to someone else... I would hazard a guess and say your dog got bored. It needs more stimulating toys which are randomly switched up... The best suggestion i can offer.

A 6 month pld puppy is going to get bored if you are away for 4 or more hours unlike an older dog they are not going to be content just to sleep till you get home so they are going to entertain themselves, possibly by chewing electrical wires, they may with the extra space start pottying in the room or on the bed, they could decide to use the bed for a spring board and end up breaking a leg, they make decide to get into the laungry and decide to eat your socks or undies which can lead to a blockage, pups can get into things you least suspect, there are just too many dangers and trouble a puppy can get themselves into, It would be just like leaving a 4 year old child alone while you go to work and expect them not to do anything but watch tv, they are not yet mature or settled down enough to be trusted not to get into trouble. Crating is a way to keep a puppy safe, I have heard of too many puppy deaths simply because they got into something while the owner were away, the last one I heard of was owners coming home to find their puppy sufficated to death because it got it's head stuck in an empty chip bag from out of the garbage. :(