Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obsessing about fat content in dog food

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Again , someone I know obsesses about the fat content in the dogs food. I keep trying to say that the content of fat is NOT what you should be looking for in a good food, but my suggestions fall on deaf ears.

This particular dog I am talking about is half Rottie and this owner wants nothing more than for their dog too look like a rottie. It is already over 100 lbs and is gonna start looking fat soon. I keep trying to explain that Puppys condition with his hips and legs is that much worse cause he was 200+lbs, but again falls on deaf ears, apparently its solely because of bad breeding (which granted yes, prolly is the main reason he is dysplasic) but his weight did not help the situation any.
SO, I am out of ways to say that fat content is not what they should be looking for.
Now they are trying to feed raw and have offered to pay for some of the haul i get for my dogs, but of course the main concern is " what do you add for fat?":mad: :yell: :frustrated: I DONT ADD ANY FAT I have said that until i was blue in the face and all i got was " what can i add after then to make sure there is enough fat in the diet?" :frustrated: I give up! I said what ever you like, now they need a meat grinder and dont want any bones in the diet at all.... I explained how that is a very important aspect to the diet... I have sent a million raw feeding links and it falls on blind eyes.
Im done trying to help this person out with their dog if they dont want to listen. IM no pro, but come on... rational thinking! And... I sent the link to the calculator( how much food the dog needs) and it suggests no more than 2.4 lbs a day... THEY INSIST ON FEEDING 5lbs!:eek:
I need some info on why that is a really bad idea... over feeding raw.. there has to be a good consequence...

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
erykah no worries... dogs have a very efficient way of eliminating too much fat and too much food... it's called diarrhea! :D they're gonna be doing poop patrol inside and out of the house with shovels if they insist on being idiots. :rolleyes:

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Nope they will just change the food... they are after the "designer poop" Wellness didnt cut it, Innova EVO didnt cut it, now raw wont cut it either...

*sigh* Theres no real use this dog is gonna live forever with an upset tummy due to constant food changes.

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
there are limits on what you can do erykah... you went far beyond being a good "friend" for that poor dog... unfortunately brick walls don't have ears :(

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 08:33 PM
yup you're right td, but now im in over my head here with the whole prep for the dog... I know they arent gonna stick with it so i think i should just cancel the whole thing. Say that i cant get the free boxes anymore or something...:shrug: I really dont need to hear about it forever.
I have to start "dealing" with my own problems instead of trying to save the world ( so to speak) Im just gonna start focusing on my dogs, cats and the strays that pop by randomly and thats it... no more people from the next town screwing my head up, no more, friend( or aquantances) dog needs this, and that...

I m a sucker!

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
if you can bow out of this deal before the ink is dry on the paper, so to speak... IMO please save yourself the misery and the heartache, hun... save your energies for the 4-legged creatues who need you :grouphug: