Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutured Males Humping

Smiley14
November 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry for the title, I didn't know how else to describe it. :) Ok, this is a stupid question, but I just had to ask anyway! :)

My uncle was in town on Sunday to go to a football game. He left his two Brittany Spaniels in my backyard while at the game, so of course Petey was excited to play. But every time he went through his doggie door to join them in the yard, the two male spaniels would immediate start trying to hump him. They even had a little threesome going for a while there. :) Petey kept running away from them, but they kept corning him and doing it over and over until he finally made a mad dash back into the house and wouldn't go outside anymore.
All three are neutered males, so I was just curious about this behavior. Is it a dominance thing or does anyone know?

My poor neighbor was out on her upper back deck that overlooks my yard, and her eyes started bulging when she saw them. I didn't want her to think I was an irresponsible pet owner, so I quickly called up to her to not worry, that they were all neutured males. The poor lady just looked even more horrified and went scooting back into her house. Oops! LOL! I couldn't stop laughing. :)

I didn't take a picture as that just seemed a little too much, but here they are playing...well, Petey trying to run away!

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Cider's spayed.. She humps to attempt dominance far too often.. If she succeeds, then it becomes a way to start play.. *hump hump chase me!* If she gets told off she never tries it again.

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, that was likely a dominance thing. I have a 6 mos pup and my mom has his brother and they often try to dominate each other. It is behavoir that should be corrected/reprimanded. That is usually enough to stop our pups.
Our older lab gets very pissed when another dog trys to hump her and will definately pup the other dog "in it's place".

Smiley14
November 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Ahh, so it IS a dominance thing! I wondered! Thank you so much for letting me know! :)

rainbow
November 29th, 2006, 12:54 AM
When my two boys were younger they kept trying it but I always reprimanded them as I thought it was a dominance thing. They haven't tried it in a long time.

Smiley14
November 29th, 2006, 01:50 AM
None of my dogs, including Petey, have ever done that before and I've never seen it at the dog park either, so it was new to me! I'll have to tell that to my uncle so he can work with them on it. They just would not leave poor Petey alone for even a few seconds. They were just awful! And they are very young, so that makes more sense now as well. They just turned one years old. They are beautifully trained otherwise, so I have to wonder if he's only socialized them with other people and not so much with other dogs. Huh, interesting! I learned something new today. :) Thanks again!

SnowDancer
November 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
My Eskie gets humped every Thursday by a Poodle who weighs about the same as he does. First every dog at socialization has to have a go at his tantalizing tail - and the the Poodle has his way with him - while the tail tickles his chest. Now if only my very smart Eskimo would plant his butt on the floor, that would solve the problem! But for some reason - and I suppose I should be thankful - he leaves his Eskie/Spitz tendencies at the gate and is extremely sociable in his controlled environment. But when it is time to leave and he is on other side of gate, all bets are off - gives a little "snark".