Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gosh I love Canada customs right now

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe most of their custom officers are taking a little holiday before the Christmas rush .....

I have been ordering lots of goodies from the US and abroad the last couple of months and I have just left my credit card near the front door for when the deliveries arrive since I am expecting to pay duty in the ahem... several hundred dollar range :o , the bulk of my orders have came in , I am stunned I only had to pay duty once and it was the smallest total dollar package for $16, It has almost got me thinking of trying to order that embroidery machine I want , if they let that thru as well, then it would pretty much have be paid 50% by Canada customs savings :cool: Ohh what a nice christmas present that would be ... but will my luck continue :shrug:

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Note to self.
Find out address for OG and use her cc to shop for lovely new dog toys!

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Nice.. I want a load from cafepress, but they are sketchy on how duty is calculated...

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
You know the whole thing seems so eeny-meany-miney-mo. I've order stuff and got nicked LARGE and the following order of the same stuff, from the same place etc. ~ nada's.

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
It must depend on the customs person you get and his/her frame of mind that particular day. :shrug:

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yup ~ that would be the "meany" in the eeny-meany-miney-mo equation I think.

Schwinn
November 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Who is it being shipped by? If it's Canada Post/United States Postal Service , they're usually not too bad. But if it's coming by courier, that's a huge rip off. I once bought two items at the same time, one was $17 US, and the other was $170 US. The $17 came by UPS and they dinged me for like $40 for duty and "brokerage fees" (it weighed under a pound, and was about 6 inches x 2 inches). The $170 US came by regular postal, was about 5 lbs, and was mountain bike forks (give you an idea of the size), and I paid about $20 for duty. Do not ship ANYTHING by UPS if you don't like arbitrary brokerage fees. I've since been through some boards about having things shipped, and several people have done experiments having things of equal value shipped at different times, and they've gotten dinged different brokerage fees, all outrageous. When I called UPS after the first thing came in a panic, the rep explained that UPS brokerage fees are a lot more than through postal, and that he tells all his friends not to ship by UPS.

To be fair, I hear the other couriers are the same, but after my first experience with an express courier, it was my last. Now when I'm eBaying, or buying bike parts outside of Canada, if the seller won't ship by postal, I won't buy it.

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Well, unfortunately my "eeny-meany" is with regular post. Very lightweight, a little bigger than a shoebox, $155 value ~ $65 in duty and taxes, shipped from Oz.

Schwinn
November 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well, unfortunately my "eeny-meany" is with regular post. Very lightweight, a little bigger than a shoebox, $155 value ~ $65 in duty and taxes, shipped from Oz.

YEEPS! I guess I should clarify...I'm referring to shipments between the US and Canada. I don't have a lot of experience with overseas. I know we ordered a Royal Daulton from the UK, and I think it was around $50. Still cheaper than a courier.

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Just placed a 70 dollar cafepress order.. We'll see how badly the fees on this will be.

OntarioGreys
November 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Who is it being shipped by? If it's Canada Post/United States Postal Service , they're usually not too bad. But if it's coming by courier, that's a huge rip off. I once bought two items at the same time, one was $17 US, and the other was $170 US. The $17 came by UPS and they dinged me for like $40 for duty and "brokerage fees" (it weighed under a pound, and was about 6 inches x 2 inches). The $170 US came by regular postal, was about 5 lbs, and was mountain bike forks (give you an idea of the size), and I paid about $20 for duty. Do not ship ANYTHING by UPS if you don't like arbitrary brokerage fees. I've since been through some boards about having things shipped, and several people have done experiments having things of equal value shipped at different times, and they've gotten dinged different brokerage fees, all outrageous. When I called UPS after the first thing came in a panic, the rep explained that UPS brokerage fees are a lot more than through postal, and that he tells all his friends not to ship by UPS.

To be fair, I hear the other couriers are the same, but after my first experience with an express courier, it was my last. Now when I'm eBaying, or buying bike parts outside of Canada, if the seller won't ship by postal, I won't buy it.

You only get charged brokerage fees if the parcel get inspected by customs and duty is charged
that has been so sweet about my recent purchases, I have recieved parcels by usps(united postal services) fedex, dhl, and fedex and in the past 2 months only recieved one duty charge for $16 and that was a USPS shipment
if regular post Canada post charges a $5 brokerage fee to get the parcel through customs, if priority post then and $8 brokerage fee is included in the fees they charge if from the US)

I agree UPS is the most expensive, so I was shocked when my last delivery came (2 parcels -- between the 2 parcels the value was $700 + US as clearly written on the customs declaration by the sender) and I did not have to pay any duty or brokerage fees, which really was a shocker because that was a first for a UPS delivery for me.

And also very interesting is my last UPS order that duty was charged on , that was for an automotive GPS the value was $280 I was only charged for GST and PST there was no brokerage fee from them I am not sure if because it arrived by Air landing in Hamilton airport rather than going thru border customs made any difference in why no brokerage fee was charged :shrug:

My fedex delivered parcel was $800 which really blew me away when all I had to do is sign for the package.

Nice.. I want a load from cafepress, but they are sketchy on how duty is calculated...

The reason why duty sounds sketchy, is because it is the Canadian government that charges the fees not the seller, the rates vary depending by where the item originated

Typically the duty rate charged is the GST and PST on the Canadian $ value actually paid for the item if originating (manufactured/made in the US) plus brokerage fee, if arriving thru the post office you can add $5 if shipped standard $8 if shipped priority for the brokerage fee inorder to calculate how much the item will cost you in extra charges.

the exception is for products that orginated out of China, India etc even if bought in the US(seller has to write down the country were the product was made in the customs declaration on the white custom declaration forms, exception is if sent small package using the green sticker customs declaration it does not state a country of origin must be entered ) a higher Canadian $ value is applied I am not sure what the % is, but it varies depending what the item is for example electronics and art probably gets higher % than say textiles.

I am pretty used to customs ignoring $50 value packages (anything under $20 no duty can be charged or upto $60 if the customs declaration states it is a gift, tjhough exceptions on certain items for example books, tobacco then duty can be levied)

Is it worthwhile to order from the US or elsewhere???? it depends what it is and how much the purchase price is, for example the GPS I bought, the same unit I bought sells for over $500 Canadian here, My final price was about $350 canadian so I saved $150 even with having to pay duty.

One of my prized purchases was a greyhound porcelain figurine which was made 1930's in Hungary, current appraisal value is $400US it took a year of searching to find one but I ended up getting it for just under $150US all fees included from Australia in absolutely mint condition not one bit of crazing.

Since the value has climbed a fair bit it should prove to be a great investment piece and should continue to rise in value

The bull made in the same period is now $950 http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Hungarian-Porcelain-Zsolnay-Bull-Figure_W0QQitemZ3772648775QQihZ016QQcategoryZ63526 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some of the companies peices really took off like this lamp
at $35.000 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7419989599&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=260041750211&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
This last seller also has listed a couple other pieces made by Zsolnay that have some very impressive price tags.

mafiaprincess
December 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
I've found I try not to order from the states since the duty charges seem to flip flop. But, often stuff I want I can't find here, like the stuff I just ordered off cafepress :shrug:

My 80 dollar agility tunnel had 27 dollars of duty and brokerage fees on it, and they tore the box so apart it was barely held together with duct tape when I got it.. While it was worth it, since I couldn't find similar here, or no where near that price, it just made the final purchase higher than I'd bargained for..

Makes me want to ship future packages to Springer mom in NY, but some stuff I'd like now-ish, not to wait till who knows when we can go visit again.