Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interactive and engaging dog toys

kmjx65
November 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any recommedations on dog toys that are interactive and engaging for puppies and young adult dogs?

Cookie likes to tear at her toys and play fetch however the life span of the toys are very short.

Since we got Cookie, Ebie has been playing with her toys less, doesn't fetch after her ball anymore mainly because Cookie will beat her to it or steal the toy she's chewing on. Also she doesn't seem to like rubber toys like kongs.

I have a second question as well....Is there anyway to help the dogs share toys? prevent them from stealing from each other and encourage them to play with different toys at the same time?

Thanks!

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I like my dog's buster cube..
After a few times with treats in it she even loves it with her kibble to play with.

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Talk to Me Treat Ball - you can record your own voice on this toy

ETA: dogs aren't children, and may not grasp the concept of sharing. If it's a problem, buy more than 1 interactive toy.

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
If your older dog is having issues with the younger one and not sharing toys, you could separate them for a while. Crate one to give the other loving, playtime specifically to show that dog you care and it can still be fun. If my sibling always beat me out I'd quit playing too.

It's hard to train 2 dogs at the same time so often you need separate sessions.. Maybe create a few specific times in a week to have some separate play, as well as normal time together the rest of the day.

Caite
November 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I like the "egg babies" toys. My one dog likes the eggs and the other likes the pouch the eggs are hidden in. (it makes sense when you see the toy :)

For the most part, both dogs only want what the other one has, so we just throw 4 or 5 toys around at the same time... kind of like fetching and juggling all at once. This way they are too busy trying to get the toy that's up in the air then fight over the ones on the ground.

Sometimes, it's also best for them to (while supervised) sort out their own dominance / heirarchy issues.

Just some thoughts....