Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hyper dogs (cant go out)

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
THe dogs are HYPER today and I dont want them outside at all ( other than pee breaks) they are running through the house at a million miles an hour knocking things over and so on.
ITs too slippery for them to go out at all i dont want to be replacing hips and what not...
What can i do to keep them occupied???
THey have bones, but have lost interest in them ( I think they want out to bury them) There is toys gallore down there for them but its WAY more fun to wrestle and break stuff....

Help please!!!! THey are going insane from being in the house like this. They dont handle this well.... Neither do i !!!!!

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Try stuffing Kongs full of tasty stuff. Pack it quite tight, that's usually good for a few minutes of peace.

jiorji
November 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Pack it quite tight, that's usually good for a few minutes of peace.

eeepp i hope you have plenty of kong filler Erykah

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
One decides to chew and work it out but then Kita ( the culprit) goes and raises hell and gets them all going again... I just gave them trubble ( and now i feel bad) but they are sulking .... not how i want to spend my day. ( insulting my dogs and feeling bad)

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
When I have the two pups here (6 mos Lab and his brother - owned by my mom) I eventually just get mean and set up the baby gates so they can't play. :sad:

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I also have a long hallway so I stand at one end and roll the ball down for them to chase. Helps limit the damage to the other rooms :eek:

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Dont have baby gates, but even if i did that would only stop Puppy, Meik and Kita would use them as obsticles to hump over. THey are still sulking now, and that will do for the time being.

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 02:11 PM
When my dog is off the wall, and outside play isn't an option, I play a game of "hide & seek" - sorta "hunt the toy" type game. I put him in a sit/stay in one room, let him sniff a special toy - I go hide it in another room, and then release him w/ an "OKAY! GO FIND IT!" if I hide it good enough, keeps him busy for about a 1/2 hr per "seek".

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hey good idea!!!! I think Kita is gonna go for a nap soon ( thats hilarious) she is flying off the handle,,, so out of character for her. meik would really love that game.... Im gonnna head down in a few minutes with them and start the game up.... thanks

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 04:33 PM
lol no advice from me because when they start playing in the house, I just join in.:o

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I have no problem with playing in the house but they were over the top today, anyway the game worked great for a bit, but then they soon found things that were more interesting and less destructive than their previous choices so we have a happy medium now... thankfully.

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I also have a long hallway so I stand at one end and roll the ball down for them to chase. Helps limit the damage to the other rooms :eek:

Same here,not with my dogs,they don't retrieve :eek: so lets just call them goldens and not golden retrievers but once I had a 6 months old foster and it rained all week end long. I just threw the ball over and over in the hallway.:shrug:

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM
When the grrrls were around three or four years old, I decided to move the furniture around in the lvingroom and in doing so I found this swath of tennis ball markings about 8 feet long and three feet wide ~ oh those cooolllld deep-snow winter nights.

Wouldn't ya kill for an indoor baseball run and an automatic pitching machine or a lap pool with a wavemaker on days like today ?

LynLyn
November 28th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm a little late but if they're still bouncing off walls tomorrow, I find that the best thing to tire dogs out....

LASER POINTER!! yup I get to sit on my lazy butt, and they get the workout of a lifetime

I'll also have doggy bowling (not as evil as it sounds) competitions with my boyfriend, where we set up paper towel rolls on the floor (like bowling pins) and make bowser chase the laser pointer into them. Great fun for the whole family (until bowser rips up the paper towel rolls, then it's just great fun for bowser)

OntarioGreys
November 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
If you want to use babygates with your jumpers simply stack them, put 2 in a doorway one on top of the other

erykah1310
November 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Good thinking OG :thumbs up thankfully today they are "normal" ( if there is such a thing??) :D