Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crates?

kmjx65
November 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think this is the right forum to post on...
I was wondering if there is a benefit from having one type of crate over another. I see a lot of plastic crates with the wire doors at the pet store but there is also the full wire crate.

Which is better?

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Most dogs prefer the closed plastic crates as a sanctuary and safe spot from the chaos. These are also the only ones rated for air travel so you won't have to buy a different crate if you need to travel with them.

kmjx65
November 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Oh I see. Going along with my above question...well this is quite silly and I've never flown with my dogs....but if your pet is in the crate do they ride with? I mean in a passenger seat or something? What area do they ride on in the plane?

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Most dogs prefer the closed plastic crates as a sanctuary and safe spot from the chaos.

I don't necessarily agree. I think dogs are all different. Most I've met prefer the open wire ones, so they are able to see their surroundings. I think it really depends on the dog's preference, and the tendencies of the dog. some are real chewers, and can easily chew out of a plastic crate. alternatively, some other "destructo-dogs" can get injured in a wire crate. I think it really depends on which works for you & your dog. I don't think one is superior to the other at all.

My personal preference is wire. I have 2 large wire crates at home for my dog. one is a permanent fixure in our kitchen, the other is in our bedroom, but is a travel crate - it collapses down to flat.

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I've seen quite a few dogs with separation anxiety really hurt themselves in the wire crates. But I agree, it would depend on the dog. I have really only dealt with beagles which seem to prefer the enclosed. Sight hounds may in fact prefer the wire. If you wanted to buy a wire crate you could always find a way to enclose it if they preferred it.

Dogs fly in a pressurized cargo compartment. I'm pretty sure they have stopped companion animals from being able to fly in the cabin now, someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Cider had a plastic crate. She was always a handful in it, Crate trained her correctly, ignored the hours of endless howling, and it never really got better.

One day while I was at work in March I think a family member was teed at the howling and kicked the crate snapping off one of the locks and a chunk of plastic.. No one would admit to it..

I bought a wire crate as a replacement, and ever since we haven't had a crate training issue. Wish I'd replaced her crate way before I had.

I still use the old airline one for easy travel.. Carries better in my car if we go somewhere, and she's calm in it mostly. Was a crappy choice for her though. Most dogs seem to do better in wire kennels.

Angies Man
December 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
It depends on the dog.

Mine loves her plastic crate from Walmart--and she was pupped in wire crates. My dog is not a barker or whiner, and hasn't attempted to dig or chew her way out.

She mostly prefers the crate to sleeping on the bed.

Oh, and, at least in the US, dogs are no longer welcome in the passenger compartment.

technodoll
December 1st, 2006, 05:00 PM
also think of the breed: big furry dogs often get too hot in a plastic crate & need the ventilation of a wire one ;)

muckypup
December 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM
I like the wire ones (the quality ones that are actually sturdy) because I have big dogs and they are bigger, unless you want to spend lots of $$$$ for the plastic ones. I also train 3 days a week May-Dec and the wire crates are much better in the car in the heat.

Mocha's mum
December 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
I have both - a small plastic one that I got when Mocha was a pup, and then when he had his back problem, I got a larger wire one. He was on 'kennel rest' and I wanted him to be able to move around to get comfortable. I have his little doggy bed on the end, and then there's room up front for a dish of water.

In my experience, either one has worked for me and Mocha. He prefers the wire one now (he won't go into the plastic one anymore)...I think it's so that he can still see what's going on around the house.

LynLyn
December 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Bowser prefers his wire one over his plastic one, I think it's because he can see me and keep an eye on me.

As for travel in Canada, if they're small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, and if you have an airline approved doggy carry bag then yes they can still ride in the passenger cabin.

Except Bowser, who figured out how to undo the zipper and run up and down the aisle before mommy forced him back in his bag and held the zipper for the rest of the trip.:evil: