Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

She got outside!!How do i stop this??

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
So i walk in last night hands fulls,and she zooms out the front door,i got her by the tail thank god,but i might not be so lucky again,i was thinking of a way to maybe scare her so she is afraid to go by the front door!! Any ideas??

Mahealani770
November 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Heidi, I'm having the same problem with my new kitty as well! She made it all the way out into the backyard yesterday and she tried to make a run for it today on my lunch break! So, we both need some advice!:pray:

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM
This stinks,she is getting really fast and curious now,at first she wouldnt go near the front door,now when we get ready to leave she is rihgt there,when we open the door she is right there...I really dont know how to stop this,she gets out there will be no catching her........I feel for you to,...

Lissa
November 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Obviously, your best bet is to not allow her access to the exits (by blocking the door or keeping her in another area of the house when you are coming and going).

Is it possible for you to vary which way you come in the house to keep her guessing or to make a barricade a feasible option?

I suppose you chould always spray water as you come in, stomp your feet or shuffle your bags but I think its best if you can avoid making her fearful.
When Minnow is in escape mode, I use my foot or purse to block her exit. But she usually backs off if I say her name sharply.

Good luck!!

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
There is only one door to our place,and as of now she likes water and i dont want her not to,so i dont want to spray water and make her hate it.It is hard because she just scoots right between your legs,i guess we are just gonna have to be super careful coming and going.Maybe i could shake the keys or soemthing

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
What about putting tape sticky side up near the door? I've heard that cats really hate their paws being stuck like that, but I'm for sure no expert.

brandynva
November 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM
My cat waits by the front door for when we come home. Our screen door doesn't shut very fast and he likes to slip out at the last minute. It's hard to catch him, but I try to keep my feet wedged in the door so he can't get out. Good luck!

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I was so happy the first 2 weeks she had no interest in the fornt door area..Yeah all i can really do is not open the door really wide and block her,i was so hoping this wouldnt happen

MyBirdIsEvil
November 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
For one, if you come back from grocery shopping or some such, go to the door WITHOUT your bags, open it a bit so you can see in but she can't run out, so you can see where she is, then grab her and confine her to another room while you're bringing groceries in.

You can also start giving her a couple treats in another room every time you come home, eventually when you arrive home she'll go to the other room expecting food instead of running out the door.

Another option is spraying her with water when you enter the door so that she learns not to go towards the door when people arrive. If you do this you should couple it with giving her treats in a seperate room so you're not relying souly on negative reinforcement.

Really there's not much else you can do, kittens will make many attempts to leave the house. Never open the door enough for her to get out unless you're completely sure where she is and you can grab her. Every time she does get outside it will reinforce her behavior and it will be hard to stop her from trying to get out all the time. If you catch her EVERY single time she'll eventually give up (though this may take a long time).

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I like that treat in another room idea,will try that for sure..It probably doesnt help that she can hear these other cats that hang out around our place either...I just cant get over how fast she has become,i mean it is like she is on crack they whey she flys around our place//

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I would suggest,if you have the time,to get her a harness and let her experience the outdoors,often times they'll just want to go back inside to safety.
My cats never try to scoot out the door,they know,unless I have their collars in my hand,we are not going outside.
Although Heidi,if she is very small,be careful,as they can wriggle out of anything:cat:

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah her collar doesnt even fit yet..A walk might be a good idea,but then what if she loves it,and then really tries ot dart out all the time...AHHH !! So confusing...........

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Before I push the door open I bang on it and it scares my cats so they run away from the door. Works for me. :shrug:

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Now that i like,i want something that scares her to stay away from the front door............:evil: :evil:

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Heidi, my cats are older now (3 1/2 and 4 1/2) so you're little one may be a little braver so make sure you just open the door a crack at first to see if she's right there still. Sometimes mine don't go too far from the door once they know it's me so I yell at them to "get going" in a gruff voice and clap my hands at them. Good luck. :fingerscr

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
[This girl has no fear,i am torn between wishing she would be a kitten forever,and wanting her to be older.She can be so baddddd.....But overall i couldnt have found a cooler cat.....I just think(because i am crazy like this)that she is trying to get outside because she doesnt like her life with us......I know i am a wack job,but it does run through my head..........:cat:

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I don't really know how to explain this but here it goes, if you are able to put a baby gate inside,like right before your door. So when you open it,you can stride over it but your kitty won't....

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM
[This girl has no fear,i am torn between wishing she would be a kitten forever,and wanting her to be older.She can be so baddddd.....But overall i couldnt have found a cooler cat.....I just think(because i am crazy like this)that she is trying to get outside because she doesnt like her life with us......I know i am a wack job,but it does run through my head..........:cat:

Awww, I'm sure she loves you she is just being adventurous. I did see this product on the internet. It is a motion activated thing that when it detects the cat lets out a beep and then if it detects the cat again it sends out a non-harmful squirt that scares them away. You might try that. The link for it is:
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=879

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM
That is to funny ,i love the example,maybe i will give that a try,if some of this other free stuff doesnt work.I thought of the baby gate idea to .......

LM1313
November 29th, 2006, 11:02 AM
How about throwing treats in the opposite direction from the door as you're going out? Or a kitty toy?

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I know cats aren't the same as dogs.. but Chico's advice worked for Cider. She was always trying to escape till she got an ecollar. Once it was on and we had trained with it I let her slip out the front and wander around, and then call her back in. After a week of doing it maybe once a day she no longer seemed to care...

My parents are still paranoid she's escaping, but she's proven multiple times she wants to come out to greet and follow them in.

Sucker4aStray
November 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Some cats will always seem to want on the other side of a closed door. No matter whether that means outside or in the bathroom! There are some cat exersizing pens (they look like those flexible tubes they use for dog agility only closed off at the ends?) that can let your cat safely experiance the outdoors w/o fear of her slipping out of a collar or harness. I agree with some of the other replies, if your kitty sees the outside for herself, she may no want to "escape" so much. My adult cat will occasionally make a break for the door, but after about 2 minutes of the great outdoors he is crying to come back in!!!! Good luck!

Mahealani770
November 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by: heidiho
This stinks,she is getting really fast and curious now,at first she wouldnt go near the front door,now when we get ready to leave she is rihgt there,when we open the door she is right there...I really dont know how to stop this,she gets out there will be no catching her........I feel for you to,...

Awe, thanks Heidi. And I TOTALLY feel what you're saying. When we first brought Minnie home, she was scared of the door. The wife took her outside and held her while Nicky was going potty, and it seems like ever since she got taken outside, now she sits at the door when we leave and is sitting there when we come home. We only have one way in and one way out of the apartment and there's no way we can babygate anything. Besides that, she'd jump right over it :frustrated: Soooo...all we can do is be very careful and I guess that's what I'd suggest for you too :shrug: Good luck!

heidiho
November 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I know i was thinkging baby gate then thought she woudl jsut jump over it,and it doenst help that Bob and the cat that is her mom still come around and hang out by our door and talk and talk til i feed them.I also thought of letting her out (with leash or something)but i dont want to chance it that she will like it even more,also lately i ahve seen so many dead cats(hit by cars) that i just prefer to make her a 100% indoor cat.