Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slow healing Cat!!

smv61
November 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hello all, we have a cat named Murray. We are getting increasingly concerned about him. He was hit by a car 12 weeks ago. Pin placed in front leg, wrap and splint on back shattered back leg. Last x-rays showed only minor healing in front leg. Vet says he is big, healthy and young (5 years old) and healing should be further further along. He has been confined to one room at a time and is in good spirits. Suggested 8 more weeks. Wondering if there are any similar cases out there?, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks

badger
November 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I hear - maybe this is an urban myth - that the Chinese embed magnets in plaster casts for broken limbs, situated opposite each other, so the weak current between the magnets (special chi?) passes through the affected area. I have NO IDEA if this is even valid.
Take the magnet part off your fridge magnets (the small ones, about the size of a dime) and find a way of taping them in opposition somewhere near the wound. It will certainly not be harmful.
Other than that, I have no ideas, sounds pretty traumatic. Is he taking any medication that would have this effect? Pain meds?

Hmmm, better not put any magnets near that pin, or any other metal. Bad combo.

coper
November 28th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Mine was run into 2 months ago and broke his jaw and cheekbone and dislocated his hip. He has recovered very well although the hip is still not good. We found that a lot of love and attention seemed to really help him try harder to get better. We worked with him a lot, just holding him and helping him stand when he wanted to try, etc. Have patience, the leg injuries seem to take a lot longer to heal. Seems too with my cat that he needed to be encouraged to try to use the leg and then it came along better. My cat is also 5 years old.

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Amazingly, the magnet theory has some validity. In a recent study published in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, researchers at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston found magnets to be more effective than sham magnets at blocking pain caused by post-polio syndrome. (This syndrome, marked by leg pain, affects up to 20% of polio sufferers later in life.)

You would have to use "medical magnets" , ie don'y just grab one from the fridge, <g> I am not certain if they will help in this case since they mostly help with pain and not healing per se.

I don't know about kitties so much as humans but everyone is unique and has differing rates of healing. With humans, other illnesses like diabetes for example - or other chronic illnesses - can increase healing time.

What I have found in my own practice is that people who are happiest or work really hard toward getting better (as in doping extra physiotheraphy, etc.) heal much faster. There are studies that actually prove this as well, granted. Maybe your cat needs more attention or he really hates beng couped up. Are there activities you can involve him in - that do not require movement or maybe spending extra time with him? I don't know the entire stiry - if he has other chronic issues, if he was a very active cat,etc so it's hard to know what to suggest.

I had a poodle who was injured by a falling tree (nothing too serious but minor surgery was required) but I made sure after he came home from the vet that he continued to sleep with me, kept his normal routines, tried to keep his mind off his injury by finding gentle ways of playing with him in bed.

I myself spent 6 months in a full body cast and so I could sort of relate to my dog - who had been there for me when I was recopreating. (I tried to keep up with most of my usual activities even while flat on my back - was able to read with prism glasses, had the same usual parties :D , talked on the phone a lot (I was a teenager at the time, lol) and tried to emphaise the positive aspects of the experience. I know cats are smart but Murray is unlikely to be impressed by trying to think positive <g> but you might just try to keep his routine as normal as possible and givce him lots of extra attenbtion and treats. He may get a bit spoiled but if he heals well, it'll be worth it. All my cats are spoiled to start with so I am not sure what I'd do if something happened to them!! Even more goodies and attention I suppose.

Good luck!!! There are cat therapists who might be able to help.