Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need to rant

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
We adopted out Rex (beagle) to a family we thought would be perfect for him. Two weeks ago they call us to tell us that "our daughter has stopped taking care of him" and could we please rehome him. It is our slow time for applications (no one wants a new dog over Christmas apparently) and our busy time for homeless beagles coupled with the need to get as many into Alberta foster homes as possible before the flight embargo.
Then she calls us yesterday to say we are taking too long to find him a new home, even though she said she would foster him until we found him the perfect home and seemed really concerned. She is putting his picture up and finding him a new home herself despite signing a contract saying that he has to come back to the foundation if she doesn't want him anymore.
We make it perfectly clear to families when they go through the interview process that the parents are the primary caregivers and will most likely need to take care of the dogs themselves. She seemed to understand and agree. My question is this: WHY DO PEOPLE LIE SO MUCH? I am sick of people telling me they are willing to take their new puppy to obedience training and then giving him back when he is out of their control. Puppies are what you make of them. I am getting really disgusted with the human race and it's cruelty and disposable attitude to anything that remotely inconveniences them.

There, now I feel better and I may just have a little foster puppy tonight..

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I feel your pain :sad: with Christmas coming, some people want to have the dog out of their house asap.:mad: and they all say the same ; I don't have time.....what did they think of when they adopted ? :mad:

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Thats awful,hope you go get your dog back asap.

~michelle~
November 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM
poor thing, i wish this pup the best of luck,

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I know it's little consolation but people like me really appreciate people like you and all the rescue folks. It's heart-wrenching and sometimes thankless work which I know I could never do. But I am so glad you do. If it weren't for people like you working so passionately and tirelessly, I would never have a Declan in my life. Thank you.

erykah1310
November 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
People are ..... :frustrated: cant even muster up words for the description.
I hope you find him a nice home soon, one who will appreciate him and not look at him as a disposable object.... Its a shame that we are the same species as these "people" *term used loosely*

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Can you give me some info about Rex. I have friends (in Victoria, BC) who had a beagle that passed in April and might be ready for a new baby.

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Rex is a 1.5 year old who is a pretty good boy. In fact he is fully housetrained, crate trained and knows loads of tricks. He is pretty high energy due to his age. I have pictures I can post when I go home for lunch. He is gorgeous. If Rex isn't the dog for them though I can PM you with our website and they can have a look. We accomodate lots of out of province adoptions.

kmjx65
November 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
He sounds like a great puppy! I think people just wanted to see what it would be like to have a puppy in their homes...maybe their daughter was bugging them to get a puppy....maybe be like the idea of testing it out and knowing they won't be fully tied down since they are fostering....they don't seem to be considering the emotions of the dogs and the work you put in to finding them good homes. I don't understand why they entrusted the care to their daughter...how old is she anyway? Don't they understand children get over the novelty of pets?

Can you sue them if they sell him to some other home? I'm not quite sure how rescues work. I guess that would be even more work for you. How do rescues screen foster homes and homes in general?

Good luck finding him a new home my heart goes out to you and him.

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Great, I'll give her a call tonight and start working on them :D !

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I can only speak for our organization, but the adoptive family submits an application and then they get an email detailing a bit about our organization and fees (we get a lot of people looking only for a cheap dog) and asking when would be a good time for us to call them for a phone interview. After the phone interview we decide if a home visit is warranted or possible. If someone has had a beagle in the past they are usually pretty good candidates and know what they are getting into so a phone interview is all that is needed. Because they are mostly ex hunting dogs we recommend a 5' or higher wood fence (beagles have been known to climb chain link) among other things that make beagle guardianship easier so we like to see their home environment and how the family interacts with an acutal beagle (we bring one of ours). We see where they will sleep and spend their days (we require them to be indoor dogs as they have been kept in wire crates outside most of their lives). After that we try to match the family with the dog that would be right for them. It may not be the dog they applied for, but we know their temperments and generally are pretty good with matching. Rex is the right dog. They are just the wrong family for any dog. I wish there was some sort of black list that rescues could consult for people that treat pets as disposable or cruelly.

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
People are idiots. Just think what a lovely message they are teaching and perpetuating to their children about responsible pet owner/partnership! Beagles are a tough breed but oh so very loving and cute.

P.S. - Re: my friends in Victoria ... when I die I want to come back as their dog :D .

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
People suck....I hope karma comes around and bites them in the @ss. :mad:

Fingers crossed for connecting with TeriM's friend. :fingerscr

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM
That is so funny rainbow. that is exactly what I said to my hubby this morning. There has to be justice.

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Fingers crossed for justice too. :fingerscr

( I also got a giggle out of TeriM's "p.s." as that's what my hairdresser always says to me when we're talking about our dogs....but I didn't want to threadjack. :o )

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Here's REX

joeysmama
November 28th, 2006, 05:36 PM
OMG ! What a cute boy ! I hope he finds the forever home he deserves !!!

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
What a beautiful boy:love:
I think,some people are born with hearts and compassion,others are stonehearted and could care less about another living beeing:sad: I am certain,at one time or the other Karma will catch up with them,I hope anyway:frustrated:
I walk by a house every day,walking my neighbors Cocker,where a very old Beagle lives.
He is outdoors 24/7 every month of the year,with nothing but a small backyard and a dog-house,it just breaks your heart seeing him.
There is also a sign posted on the fence,saying"Don't feed the dog".
Heartless people are everywhere:sad:

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Why get a dog if they are going to live outside? I don't understand that either.

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 08:29 PM
OMG he's so adorable ! Hope he gets adopted soon , maybe by TeriM's friend :fingerscr

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Just came to my house for foster....btw he's clicker trained. What a doll

rainbow
November 29th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I'm so glad that he is now in your care. :angel: What an adorable little guy Rex is. :cloud9: Fingers crossed for a connection with TeriM's friend. :fingerscr

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I had a beagle once and they are wonderful dogs. High energy yes but really superb pets. ( I have an equally high energy meezer now tho, lol - and at the time I had a beagle had a part meezer, part DSH that my brother rescued - he always watched over her because she was scared of her own shadow (had been abused, sigh!) I hope Rex finds a home, he is sooooo cute!!!

Anita, I can't believe they leave him out 24/7!! Or actually given what one sees and hears, I can - poor dog!!!

chico2
November 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
CK,the sad part is,HS finds it acceptable:sad:
Glad little Rex is in loving hands:cloud9:

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm sad that ppl suck (such is the way these days), but really GLAD he's back with you. What a cutie!

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
OMG how could i have missed this thread? :eek: Rex is absolutely adorable, and i'm so happy he is in a safe place now... some people need a kick in the @ss. I hope that loser family NEVER adopts another dog!!! :mad:

TeriM... any news from your friends? :fingerscr

dtbmnec
November 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Rex looks adorable!

I hope he finds his permanent home soon...:)

I'd take him in but well...money issues...oh and boyfriend issues (doesn't like dogs)...

I'm working on both issues though! lol

Good luck dear Rex!

Megan

TeriM
November 30th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Sadly, my friend cannot take Rex at this time. :( She just found out that she needs to travel extensively for work (shutting down a campus) over the next three-four months and does not feel it would be fair to him. She is up for a new dog in spring when this phase of her job is complete. I'm sure there will be an equally fabulous beagle for her at that time.

rainbow
December 13th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I was just thinking about poor little Rex. How's he doing? :fingerscr

TeriM, that's too bad things didn't work out with your friend.....maybe Rex will still be available when she's ready. :fingerscr

we3beagles
December 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I just dropped Rex off last night at the flight attendant's home that will take him to his forever home in Winnipeg. We got him in just under the flight embargo on live animals which starts on Friday. He is getting a great home with people who are very experienced with dogs. I cried all the way home, but I'm happy for him. Now I can go about putting toilet paper back into all the bathrooms and cleaning up the snowstorm of paper products. He certainly is still a puppy. I warned the family about that and they have plenty of toughie toys on standby. Too quiet at my house now. My pups are too well behaved.

HunterXHunter
December 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
People who adopts pets and then return them a couple of weeks later with lame excuses suck. Karma will get them sooner or later :evil: ...or better yet: sooner AND later :evil:

As soon as I get settled with my new job and new apartment etc. I'm going to adopt some dogs too :D and I'm sure Hunter won't mind having an extra playmate around either :dog: :cloud9:

:sorry: :offtopic: but is it possible to allow existing pets (i.e. Hunter) to meet with up-for-adoption pets before any decision is to be made by the adopter or is it mostly just an (phone?) interview with the adopter etc.? Reason why I'm asking is because Hunter is friendly, but VERY playful. A couple of my friends' dogs done like to be around Hunter too much because they're quite a bit older and not as active while Hunter is always trying to get them to play with him. :shrug:

~michelle~
December 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
you should get hunter a husky friend...... they never stop playing , never ever ever (except to sleep at night thank god!)

Frenchy
December 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
:sorry: :offtopic: but is it possible to allow existing pets (i.e. Hunter) to meet with up-for-adoption pets before any decision is to be made by the adopter or is it mostly just an (phone?) interview with the adopter etc.?

Rescues wouldn't have it any other way. We usually ask for the whole family (including the family dog) to meet the dog first. We have to make sure everyone likes eachother !

TeriM
December 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
So happy to hear that Rex has found his forever home :thumbs up .

SARAH
December 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Just saw this thread now! Really glad for Rex :)

I never did understand why people got dogs just to leave them outside, either in a pen (like a prison) or tied to a short chain. Did any of you see on Animal Planet was it yesterday or the day before, a poor yellow dog tied with a chain that had got tangled up around him so he had huge, deep, open sores all over his body? One wound even had magots in it! He looked a little like our Dani, only lighter in color. How can people let that happen?

When I see and read things like that, I give my dogs an extra big hug (Sheba loves it, Dani prefers a cookie :)) and wish I lived way out in the country with a HUGE barn made into a comfy dog-home, a fenced in property, and loads of cash, so they could all have a good home forever!

The law is too lenient with animal-cruelty offenders. Dogs, cats, all animals have feelings, I often think they are more human than this naked ape species of ours.

Right, got that off my chest! Time to share a little something with the animals in my family (dogs and cat), such as a coffee for me and an animal cookie and some scratches for them, all curled up on the couch :grouphug:

rainbow
December 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I am so glad that you found a home for Rex. :highfive: