Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giving Advice...

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Call me hyper-liability-conscious if you like but, I get a little concerned when I see some of the suggestions and advice given. Specifically, I am concerned about folks naming medicines by brand and identifying appropriate dosages as a new therapy for an illness as well as folks who tell members to stop giving prescribed medicines and those who advise members their pet has X illness.

Correcting misinformation is a good thing. Asking "Have you tried ?" is a good thing. Saying " When X problem happened to us, we found X to be helpful" is a good thing. Providing product information from the manufacturer ` very useful! Or sharing "I read about that problem in X source. Here is the info I came across..." . Or stating "the symptoms you describe are listed in the contraindications for that medicine, you should call your Vet about stopping administering these meds." It's all good ~ but, it's all in the way we phrase things.

We are knowledgeable, resourceful folks but, we are not certified veterinarians. I understand that successful lawsuits have arisen from similar circumstances on the "fixit forum" of craigslist and I just cringe to think that we are a lawsuit-waiting-to-happen. I think it's important that we continue to share our experiences and our knowledge with one another but we need to phrase our suggestions and advice as our experience.

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM
could you please post links to such threads mummummum? i don't remember reading anything like that recently and would like to see what you are talking about... :o thank you! :)

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I don't want to single anyone out Technodoll. I'm coming more from a "universal precautions" than a "You shouldn't have..." perspective.

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
If I do bring up a med I also tell them to discuss with their vet or provide a contact for, example a veterinary university as in the case with the person whose vet is unfamiliar with hypothyroidism, and the meds are prescription which means a vet has to prescibe, so it is not like the person is able to self medicate. Which I am assuming you are referring to.

If you ever get a chance ask your vet to look in his pharmaceutical book for drugs to treat babesia (a tick borne disease) and I bet you Imizol(imidocarb) is not listed -the odds of the side effect of death is extremely low it can only be obtained thru the government.

The drugs that are listed in his book mostly have a 50% chance of killing your dog if you needed to use to treat.

If it was your dog that had babesia would you want someone to tell you of a safer drug that is available that your vet likely would not know about?

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I very much agree with you mummummum. I also, like techno, don't recall any post like that though. I think most of the members are very concious of telling members to consulting vets and making new posters very much aware that we cannot diagnose or recommend medications over the internet. Good post though and a great reminder to new members.

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I don't want to single anyone out Technodoll. I'm coming more from a "universal precautions" than a "You shouldn't have..." perspective.

ah ok... i agree it's a good reminder :) was just curious to see if i put my foot in my mouth anywhere, LOL! :D

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
This isn't about you, it isn't about me ~ it's about needlessly opening up ourselves as individuals and pets.ca to liability. All it takes is one litigious person to follow well-intentioned but wrongly-phrased advice to shut down a board such as pets.ca.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough because it certainly is not my intention to offend or to confront or to he asid/ she-said argue. So, to be clear: I think that offering personal and anecdotal experiences, sharing knowledge and resources are all good ~ that's what we're here for right ? But ~ and I may be mistaken ~ not one of us is in a position to provide DVM medical direction. I am merely suggesting that when we do share our medical knowledge, experiences and resources that we do so from a personalized point-of-view rather than a directive or expert point-of-view.

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
?Your post in this topic may confuse people.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=318129#post318129

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Why? There aren't any specific dosages in there.:confused:

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
The post does not appear to follow the suggestions that she is making for others.It does not appear to say it is a personalized point-of-view rather than a directive or expert point-of-view and looks more like providing DVM medical direction to me.

White Wolf
November 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
There is a sticky/warning about this here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12673

We do generally try to remove any specific medical advice that could lead to avoiding the vet and treating with human and/or over the counter medications when a vet is needed. If you feel a post has crossed the line, please report it.

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
The post does not appear to follow the suggestions that she is making for others.It does not appear to say it is a personalized point-of-view rather than a directive or expert point-of-view and looks more like providing DVM medical direction to me.

Explaining what supplements DO is not giving medical advice. Maybe you should have read that post before calling mum a hypocrite.;)

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Explaining what supplements DO is not giving medical advice. Maybe you should have read that post before calling mum a hypocrite.;)

I read the post and I also did not call her a hypocrite.

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM
No, you never do. You just imply.;)

mummummum
November 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
There is also something to be said for ensuring things are placed in the right context. Perhaps folks may want to look at the "Encyclopedia" (where the post to which you refer is located) as a more appropriate forum for some of the very valuable and helpful information they have to provide.

A description of what is wanted in the "Enclyopedia" ~

"The thread title must be like a traditional encyclopedia. So if your dog had hip dysplasia for example, and you want to share that experience to help others, the thread title should be Hip dysplasia in dogs. It should not be 'my experience with hip dysplasia'. It should not be 'what happened to my dog'. It needs to be crystal clear (like a real encyclopedia) so that when the next visitor is looking for information on hip dysplasia they just have to look at the title. Other members should feel free to reply and add their own experiences on the same topic for any given thread."

Again, I'm not meaning to challenge or to offend, I simply think we need to "be careful out there" (Hill Street blues circa ??).

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
No, you never do. You just imply.;)

Not sure why you keep winking at me,or is that a way to make rude posts look nicer?I didnt imply anything.If you have a problem with my posts you can always report them,or ignore them.

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Will do. Willll do. ;)

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
:thumbs up

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM
:highfive:

Pike
November 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM
This thread has run it's course and will now be closed. Please do not reopen this issue in a new thread.

marko
November 30th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Although I rarely offer opinions....

mummummum is bang on here.

While explaing what drugs do is great information, specific dosages on drugs are to be discouraged. EVERY pet is different and we don't want even one pet to have a bad (or worse - fatal) reaction to something that was suggested by a member in a specific context for their pet only. All pets are different, they come in different sizes and have different medical histories. We are not vets here.

Thanks all!

Marko
ADMIN