Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick kitty need advice

JulieandPruitt
November 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I sought out pet forums to get some advice about a cat we are watching.

First - she's already been to the vet and we are waiting on test results and giving her antiboiotics and an appetite stimulant. Hopefully she's on the road to recovery.

My fiance and I are hosting two wonderful cats that belong to friends who have had to move due to a fire in their home. My fiance used to be their roomate until said fire. The cats were fine, but when their parents had to move, the kitties came to stay with us until thier parents get into their new home.

Maja is a beautiful black short haired cat. She's loveable and is definately the "A" cat in the family.

Just before Thanksgiving she decided to stop eating and drinking. We had the cat sitter keep an eye on her and got reports that she ate and drank a little. I am hoping the other cat didn't just eat most of her food, but we think Maja did get a little in her. She just prefers to hang out under the bed.

Sunday we got a call: "Uh, this cat doesn't look right." She was lying on the floor, chin in the water bowl, lethargic, didn't want to eat and was a bit "wobbly." She was in the same shape when we got home that evening.

She doesn't eat, I've seen her drink a little, can't tell if she's used the litter box, and has no energy. She's definately wobbly. I've cleaned gunk out of her right eye and a booger or two from her right nostril. She is shedding more than usual and her fur seems a bit oily.

So off to the vet she went on Monday!

These cats are indoor cats and don't get table scraps. We can't find anything she could possibly have ingested to make her sick.

Is there anything we should be aware of? They are testing for Diabetes and Kidney Disease. Maja is 11 or 12 years old. Is there anything else we can do to comfort her?

Even though she isn't technically ours, we do love her and want to take good care of her.

Thanks!

Julie

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I don't have any advice on what could possibly be wrong - only a vet will really know. you should have an idea once test results come back. I did just want to say it's wonderful to hear of people like you - who go to great lengths to care for animals in need... in need of a home, medical attention, and love. kudos to you & your fiance, and know Maja is in my thoughts & prayers.

badger
November 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM
The stress of a new environment has probably triggered something. Let's hope it's just a cold.
I would not separate her from the other cat, even if she is infectious. Of course the other cat could get sick - but not necessarily - but if they are close, it would be too hard on them.
Buy her some really attractive, smelly food - not the chunky kind, the 'paté' - and thin it to a gruel with some warm water.

JulieandPruitt
November 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
These two kitties will definately stay together. Rasta is showing no signs at all of any discomfort or illness.

I like the idea of a different type of cat food - I'll run it by the owners and see if they are okay with that. I'm sure they will be if it will make her eat.

Are there any dangers to giving a cat tuna out of a can?

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I give my cats tuna a bit - the kind packed in water. I just take it out of the can, and put on small dishes for them. not everyday, but once and a while is just fine.

JulieandPruitt
November 28th, 2006, 02:54 PM
We found out that Maja's kidneys are fine, but she has an infection, probably a stomach ulcer induced type of thing.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. We really do love these little girls!