Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Autoimmune Thyroiditis

ikra
November 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
:dog: Hallo, here is my problem:
She is a beagle, about 5 years old. We found it 3.5 years ago. She was very young then, probably around a year old. She was pregnant a few days, and after a month we checked it by ultrasound and vets gave here some drugs to loose the pups. After 3-4 months she had some kind of transmissible veneral tumor and was on chytostatics. Soon after that she started gaining wait. Ever since then she is very, very much overweight. Vets would tell us that she has to stop eating , but that is the problem. We also have male beagle, now 7 years old, and they eat the same, and he is normal. Than I started looking on Internet and found out that the problem could be thyroid. So we checked T4 and Total and they are low. There is the problem now. No vet here have any experience with this kind of problem, and I am thinking of giving her human drugs for Hypothyroidism. I donít know what amount and how long she has to be on the treatment.
Of course, I am not writing from US, and do not know how to help here (she now has problems with legs, and is easily tired), so please help if you can.

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Welcome Ikra from Serbia:)
I find it strange that your vet does not know of Hypothyroidism,since it is quiet common.
My cat has it and is on meds for the rest of his life.
The symptoms in him however,are different,he has a great hunger and eats,but has been losing weight.He also had a barely noticable problem with his backleg,but only walking up stairs.
We don't ever recommend giving a pet human meds,hopefully you'll find a vet who can properly diagnoze and medicate your Beagle.

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Dogs can use the human type of thyroid meds, when my vet they ran out used to just go next door to the pharmacy, it happened a couple of times when I went to pick up one of my dogs thyroid meds. But unlike humans dogs need to be given a dose twice a day.

I am not a vet but one of the dogs I adopted from the US was 55 lbs and I receive thyroid meds *to help with her extreme shyness, which I took to my vet with me for her first checkup as soon as he seen the bottle he was shocked by the high dose and then explained to me the way the starting dosage is determined , according to her weight she should only have been on .5mg or .6mg whereas the dosage she was given is for an 80 lb dog, because no symptoms and there was paperwork of thyroid bloodwork done on her, we decided not to give her the meds, and if she started to shows signs of thyroid disease we would do our own tests

ikra
November 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks,
Endocrinology vet at the Vet faculty said they only have experience with insulin deficiency, and similar gland problems, and never in 3 years any vet even suspected thyroid. There are also no vet drugs for thyroid, so only human could be used. Maybe, Iíll find some vet who reads internet....

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Welcome Ikra from Serbia:)
I find it strange that your vet does not know of Hypothyroidism,since it is quiet common.
My cat has it and is on meds for the rest of his life.
The symptoms in him however,are different,he has a great hunger and eats,but has been losing weight.He also had a barely noticable problem with his backleg,but only walking up stairs.
We don't ever recommend giving a pet human meds,hopefully you'll find a vet who can properly diagnoze and medicate your Beagle.

It is really not that strange, she could have a country vet and it is more like very general care, in most parts of europe spays and neuters are very very rarely done.

Their vet school is a agriculture university maybe have your vet contact the university for assistance

http://www2.mdprogram.com/dvm/index.html

http://www.sggw.waw.pl/index-e.html

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
My Rocky weighs 13 1/2lbs and takes Tapazole twice daily.
OG,thank's for giving your voice of experience,I am sure it was helpful.

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Cats are hyperthyroid

dogs generally have hypothyroidism meaning their t4's are generally low

so different meds

My dog Callie was on thyro tab the same med my mom was taking

http://www.fda.gov/Medwatch/SAFETY/2006/Mar%20PIs/Thyro-Tabs_PI.pdf

the above link is from the federal drug administration with regards to human use

Here is a link for pet use
http://www.bestdogfoods.com/RX1-122-06.htm

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Ok,I thought I had just the word earlier when I said Hyperthyroidism misspelled :confused:

OntarioGreys
November 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Ok,I thought I had just the word earlier when I said Hyperthyroidism misspelled :confused:

Sorry ... I just wanted to clarify for the OP so she does not go looking for Tapazole for her dog

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
OG.my mistake,not yours,I thought dogs and cats would be the same and this is my first experience treating any animal for Hyperthyroidism.

ikra
November 29th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Thank you all. Yes, we have Vet Faculty at Belgrade University, and I took her there, they also have all sorts of doctors for dogs and cats, but this is the condition that they are not much aware of, and reading on the internet I found out that for beagles itís a very common syndrome, hereditary at that, and beagles are very scarce here.
Anyway, your suggestions are very helpful.

LUCY (left) SNOOPY (right)