Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poopy issues

Mocha's mum
November 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM
So, for the last little while, my little Lhasa, Mocha has decided that he would prefer to use the bathroom as his personal spot to 'relieve himself'. And it's only poop....Up until this point, he's been really good; only making a mess if he had an upset tummy. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions...:shrug:

It's been pretty cold here lately (I don't know if anyone has been hearing about how the weather's been here in Edmonton :yuck: ), and I'm just curious if that could have anything to do with it? I've read that Lhasa's can be spiteful dogs....so maybe that's it too....I don't know.

I've tried crating him while we're at work. At lunchtime either myself or my boyfriend come home and take him for a walk, so the most he's alone is approximately 4.5 to 5 hours. Lately, even if we step out for 45 minutes, he'll go on the floor, regardless if he's gone already...

I know that when his back was acting up, I wouldn't give him too much grief if he had an accident (sometimes it was hard for him to 'tell' us if he had to go when his back legs were partially paralyzed), and I know that it's not bothering him now. So, what gives?? He knows he's done it, because when we come home, he'll go hide somewhere. It's wierd, and I'm hesitant to keep him locked up all the time.....

Any suggestions/info??? :shrug:

jessi76
November 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I've read that Lhasa's can be spiteful dogs....so maybe that's it too....I don't know.

dogs are NOT spitefull animals. In fact, I don't know of ANY animal that is truley spitefull. this is a human emotion. you feel spite. the dog isn't purposely doing it.

I know that when his back was acting up, I wouldn't give him too much grief if he had an accident (sometimes it was hard for him to 'tell' us if he had to go when his back legs were partially paralyzed), and I know that it's not bothering him now. So, what gives?? He knows he's done it, because when we come home, he'll go hide somewhere. It's wierd, and I'm hesitant to keep him locked up all the time.....

how do you KNOW it's not bothering him? I'd take him in for a checkup at least, to be sure. only a vet will be able to really know if a condition is acting up.

he's not hiding "because he knows he's done it". he's hiding because of your reaction to it. he anticipates a negative reaction - could be your voice, your body language, etc... dogs can sense anger & frustration.

I think the first step to have a vet check this guy out since he had a back & leg issue. if all is clear, training and lots of exercise should help matters. if the dog is REALLY TIRED, he's less likely to have an accident.

we3beagles
November 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I am having the exact same problem in Calgary. None of my dogs want to stay out long enough to poop. I really don't blame them at -40, but I don't want it to be habit forming. I watch them like a hawk and if they don't pee they go out every 1/2 hour till they do. I feel so sorry for the poor little buggers. :(

Mocha's mum
November 29th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Mocha has been diagnosed with Intervertebral Disc Disease by two different vets; one at an emergency hospital, and the other, his own vet. I know when he's having trouble when he hunches up his back, won't eat, is reluctant to move and has muscle spasm (his abdominal muscles tighten up). I have medication here for him when he's having a flare up, which thankfully hasn't happened for a few months.

I give him as much exercise as his condition will allow; until he gets tired and starts to 'waddle'. Unfortunately, it's been so darned cold, I don't want to leave him outside too long.

It's been a few days since he's left a mess, so maybe his tummy wasn't feeling well? :shrug: Or maybe he's protesting the fact that I have to go to work in the morning...ha ha ha!!! I sure do, especially when it's this cold...

we3beagles
November 29th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Did you just recently start going to work? Maybe not a protest, but maybe he's getting anxious and can't help it? Were they loose stools or firm? Loose is an upset tummy for sure. How old is Mocha?

I'm glad he hasn't had a flare up in while and that you care so much to get a second opinion. What a good mommy you are.

Mocha's mum
November 30th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I've been working full time with the military for two and a half years. He knows when we're leaving, when we put on that 'green outfit'! LOL!

Mocha's five, and the stools are firm. Maybe he's telling me I shouldn't be in the army any more...ha ha ha!!!

He hasn't made a mess in the last four days, so I'm hoping :fingerscr he's outgrown this phase. He's never done this before, except when he hasn't been feeling well.....

I really appreciate all of the feedback. I'm trying to get into Mocha's 'inner psyche'....which is proving a little harder than anticipated....:D

Shaykeija
December 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
I have 2 small dogs. When it is really bad outside or too cold, I just let them use a pee pad. No big deal here. Yes they have the odd accident and I don't yell at them. By the time they have done it, it has been a while. They don't know why you are yelling at them.

Shaykeija
December 1st, 2006, 10:10 AM
Not spite.....it is called Lhasattitude :p

Mocha's mum
December 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Ha ha ha!!! I love it! Lhasattitude!!:D

You know, it could be worse. At least he goes on the linoleum, not the carpet. And he hasn't done it for about a week now. So, it must have been the cold weather. I had him back at the vet yesterday, just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on, and he's as healthy as he can be. His vet was even impressed that his back hasn't bothered him lately.

I wish dogs could talk like people...sometimes it would make life a little easier. But I wouldn't trade the little fur ball for the world! :love: