Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old Dog Syndrome

t.pettet
November 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Read this article today written by Dr. Pukay DVM answering this querie:
Q: Our 13 yr. old shih-tzu has been wandering around house, staring into corners and acting confused. She wants nothing to do with anyone and sleeps all the time.
A: While aging process affects every body organ and system in the body, the brain is also susceptible which can lead to behavioural changes such as dis- orientation and changes in activity and sleep. This is called canine cognitive dysfunction or Old Dog Syndrome and can include loss of house training, decreased interest in food, decreased awareness of surroundings and events, wandering, disorientation, staring and a failure to recognize people or respond to commands. Disturbances in sleep patterns, inability to navigate stairs, inappropriate vocalization and decreased hearing. In a study involving 69 elderly dogs exhibiting some or all symptoms there was improvement in majority (75%) within 1 month of treatment with selegiline hydrochloride or L-deprenyl (Anipryl). It is used in human meds for Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Cushings disease. Another development has been the intro. of Hills Perscription Diet b/d that addresses brain aging. Since brain aging is closely linked to the production of unstable oxygen molecules that circulate through the body, this diet contains antioxidants and ingredients that decrease the number of oxygen free radicals. This diet showed improved alertness, learning ability and enthusiasm and assisted in the reduction of house soiling.

Prin
November 27th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I wonder who signs that vet's paycheck...;)

Angies Man
November 27th, 2006, 11:32 PM
The first ingredient in Hills Prescription Diet B/D is corn, not a protein. Corn as a protein source it not good--can cause gas (a underlying cause of bloat) and is likely to be an underlying cause of allergic reactions.

I've posted the ingredient list for this stuff below, it looks to me like the "antioxidant" is Vitamin E. The rest of the food looks pretty run of the mill pet shop/grocery store dog food. Probably not worth the premium price it's likely to command at the vet. Wouldn't an additional vitamin E supplement accomplish the same thing? The vitamin is available in tablet form and is pretty inexpensive. Btw, it's found naturally in Sunflower oil.

If my vet "prescribed" this stuff I'd have a good laugh in her face.

Hills Prescribed Diet B/D (from their webside):

Ingredients

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Brewers Rice, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Meal, Flaxseed, Fish Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Dried Grape Pomace, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Citrus Pulp, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Oat Fiber, Choline Chloride, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), L-Lysine, preserved with BHT and BHA, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, L-Tryptophan, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Beta-Carotene.

Prin
November 27th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Having less than 4 ingredients before the fat also increases the risk of bloat too.

notanother
October 17th, 2007, 03:23 AM
My 14(or 15) year old chihuahua is experiencing all of the same indicators as listed in the topic article; loss of house training, decreased interest in food, etc. I am worried about my little girl and i have had her over half my life, i'm scared that when/if i take her to the vet that they will want to just put her to sleep. Reading the first topic was a bit of light, i would really like to know how i would go about "selegiline hydrochloride or L-deprenyl (Anipryl)" one month treatment. I have no idea about this, do i need to mention this to my vet, or is this something that i can get in food, however she is not eating anymore, she has lost weight and i am getting worried. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow(today EST) reguardless, for i guess i need some help with this either way, the last thing i want is for my dog to suffer in any fashion. I still have mixed concerns about any solution to this problem for i understand that she is ageing/old. I would just like some insight into this topic, if anyone could lend any, i'm sure any pet lover would understand my concern. Thank you.

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Any treatment most definately needs to be discussed with your vet - if you want to discuss that particular treatment you should print or write out the post including the vets' name & bring it in to show your vet. That way you have the correct spelling & don't forget anything

Good luck @ the vets tomorrow & keep us posted

If you open your own new thread you will get more responses since this is an old one. :)