Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Woman & Pet Attacked By Dog In North York Park

Pitbullsrgr8t
November 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Ok, I'm trying real hard here not to go into a rant about the whole Pitbull ordeal but I thought I'd post a clip of an article I read today on CityNews (City Tv) Here it is:

Woman & Pet Attacked By Dog In North York Park
Monday November 27, 2006
A woman and her pet are both recovering from a close encounter with danger, after they were attacked by a dog in a North York park Monday.
Police say a woman was walking her own dog in a green space near Avenue Road and Wilson during the afternoon, when another animal suddenly appeared out of nowhere and came racing after them. Cops rushed to the scene and were able to corral the animal and then took it back it its owner.

But while they were there, they called Animal Control, and those officers came and took two more dogs out of the residence - including a pit bull.

The extent of the injuries to the woman or her pet hasn't been revealed and there's no word yet on why the attacking canine was loose or whether the owner will face charges.

Here's a link to the actual article: http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_5631.aspx

Ok, is it just me or does anyone else see something really wrong with this article? Why does this writer feel it's not important to name the breed of the attacking dog but feels it's necessary to mention that there was a Pitbull that shared at home with the attacker. Does it make it a sensational story? Now I'm not saying that the breed name of the dog is important because any dog can attack, but why go the extra length to name the breed of a dog that had nothing to do with the attack? Anyway, I was one disgruntled reader today and I fired off an email to them. It will probably go unanswered but I just had to let off some steam about this matter because I feel that the media had a huge part in the reason why Pitbulls are now banned in Ontario and I feel that they should be a little more responsible when reporting the news. Anyone else feeling the same way?

technodoll
November 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
OMG :eek: that is just terrible. THE MEDIA SUCKS :yell:

White Wolf
November 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Please read the sticky regarding the rules of posting in this forum: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32870

mummummum
November 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
In the late eighties and early nineties the police and media were taken to task by the Ontario Human Rights Commission for making reference to skin colour (specifically Black) in their reports and in news items when skin colour was either not germaine to or was not helpful to understanding/ issue resolution or was completely irrelevant to the occurrence or incident report/ news item. The same thing seems to be happening with bullies except for the fact that the "ism" is overt rather than covert with bullies in that it is meant to be sensationalistic and attention-grabbing.

wdawson
November 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
why are people so surprised about the media stories regarding pits or any connection to them......this is the way it will always be...whether true or false.....just don't ever hold your breath waiting for a media recant....drama in the media sells papers and draws viewers...bottom line....all the media imo are all liberal party based.

Pitbullsrgr8t
November 28th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Please read the sticky regarding the rules of posting in this forum: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32870

Sorry Wolf! I'll be sure to follow those rules next time. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Pitbullsrgr8t
November 28th, 2006, 03:06 AM
In the late eighties and early nineties the police and media were taken to task by the Ontario Human Rights Commission for making reference to skin colour (specifically Black) in their reports and in news items when skin colour was either not germaine to or was not helpful to understanding/ issue resolution or was completely irrelevant to the occurrence or incident report/ news item. The same thing seems to be happening with bullies except for the fact that the "ism" is overt rather than covert with bullies in that it is meant to be sensationalistic and attention-grabbing.

Very true mummum, never thought of it that way.

Pitbullsrgr8t
November 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM
why are people so surprised about the media stories regarding pits or any connection to them......this is the way it will always be...whether true or false.....just don't ever hold your breath waiting for a media recant....drama in the media sells papers and draws viewers...bottom line....all the media imo are all liberal party based.

I'm not surprised in the least. I've read articles like this one for years now. I'm just angry about it and thought I'd speak up about it. With regards to Pit bulls, it doesn't always have to be this way, it can change if enough people speak up about it. The most recent example I can think of would be that ridiculous O.J. Simpson book, probably one of the most sensational stories ever to air but it's been pulled off the air because of the publics reaction and response to it. It doesn't mean they won't try it again with someone else in the future, what's important is that this one in particular didn't get any air time nor were the books put up for sale. A good thing don't you think?