Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cider's Update..

mafiaprincess
November 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Got into the vet this afternoon. They don't know what's wrong with her. So many signs of not feeling well, but they don't all lead to one thing. So we had a full blood panel done, and they'll call tomorrow. Got a broad spectrum antibiotic in the mean time..

They are afraid she could be contagious yet they know we went to agility.. Out in the parking lot a rather large dog approached us pretty quickly and I'm like don't she's sick.. I re explain when he gets closer but his dog is already playing with Cider.. He tells me it's okay.. he's pts his dog in half an hour.

She was limping a little, I didn't ask why he was pts.. It just really upset me that it was okay for my sick dog to be on his dog cause she was being pts...

Prin
November 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
:sad: poor cider. :fingerscr

technodoll
November 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
awe poor cider-baby... :grouphug: i hope the vet can pinpoint what is wrong with her. i must have missed your post on her not feeling well...

Out in the parking lot a rather large dog approached us pretty quickly and I'm like don't she's sick.. I re explain when he gets closer but his dog is already playing with Cider.. He tells me it's okay.. he's pts his dog in half an hour.
She was limping a little, I didn't ask why he was pts.. It just really upset me that it was okay for my sick dog to be on his dog cause she was being pts...

omg are you serious... that is sooo sad. sigh. :sad:

Lissa
November 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Poor Cider, I hope they have some answers soon! I know I've already said this but I really think you should contact your trainers and have them inform your classmates - whether or not your vet can confirm anything! At least that way, none of them will waste time if there dogs show signs of being sick for no reason. I wouldn't take Dodger in at the first sign of being run-down but if I KNEW he had been at risk of catching something (even if I didn't know what it was), I'd be at the vets right away.

I feel awful for that poor dog in the parking lot:sad:, that's terrible.

Let us know if the bloodwork has any answers!!!:grouphug: I hope Cider will be all better soon!

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Poor Cider :sad: I hope it's nothing serious :fingerscr :pray:

mafiaprincess
November 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'll have answers tomorrow, agility isn't till Thursday.. they figure the likelihood is low by now that she's able to spread stuff, but when you figure vet office clientel may be sick hence you are there.. they were minorly worried.

Guy and his dog really upset me though just something about the whole exchange... that it was okay if she was sick cause his dog was being pts anyhow.. he was upset about it but just it put me over the top Cider being sick and all and my mom was like omg what's wrong..

TD, I was afraid she might have Lyme disease.. so my 'original' thread about Cider was asking questions on Lyme, rather than just saying I think she's sick.

brandynva
November 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Hi, this is kind of :offtopic: but what is pts?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

mafiaprincess
November 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
No prob.
Put to sleep.

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Poor Cider. :grouphug: Fingers crossed for her blood test results. :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
November 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Guy and his dog really upset me though just something about the whole exchange... that it was okay if she was sick cause his dog was being pts anyhow.. he was upset about it but just it put me over the top Cider being sick and all and my mom was like omg what's wrong..

The other owners dog may have had some kind of cancer and maybe like I did with Callie increased the last dose of pain meds which may have made the dog at least feel better enough to want to play, and for the owner that moment seeing his dog want to play one last time was probably to most precious gift he could have gotten. With Callie her joy in life was running, because at first it was assumed the all she had according to xrays was torn ligament she had been prevented for running, and she had become very depressed she had no use of one hind leg her last 2 months the day that she went to they vets to be put to sleep I had increased her pain med, I had strapped her in the harness to help support her back her and I allowed her to run by jogging beside her and as she ran her face just lit up with joy and she came home and enjoyed a meal of milkbones and just before we walked into the vets office I did another jog with her and once done, she marched into the vets office just glowing with no fear at all and looked at the vet and me as though to say I am ready, I had never seen her look so content and relaxed in my life especially at the vets as she was that moment, she went onto to the bridge happy and not a trace of fear, when I think of that day now it is with a smile though any tears are simply from missing her, I wish I could have found a way to make my previous pets as happy and contented as she was in their last moments on earth, So even though that day was sad it was also very beautiful knowing she left this world a happy girl, that couple minutes of play with Cider may have allowed his dog to go to the bridge the same way, and provide his owner some peace and happy memories instead of recalling it only with painful memories.

mafiaprincess
November 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
That's really touching OG.. he seemed upset, and I wondered as I wandered off upset if that might be it, just I was all paro she'd make another doggie ill maybe. And then upon his reply on why it was alright I went into emotional mode, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.. Otherwise I would have let them socialize a little more..

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Sorry that ciders not feeling well MP - hope she gets better soon. That is sad about the guy getting his doggie PTS its sweet that he wanted to play with cider. :)

keep us posted. :)

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 01:33 AM
*bangs head on keyboard*
Honestly, what more can happen in two weeks? I get into bed, and I'm looking at Cider... and she has a tiny odd spot on her muzzle. I poke at it, it's a little small bald spot and the 'spot' is a little flakey...

I poke at it, and some of the surrounding hair pulls out.. OMG..
What the heck is wrong with my baby?? vet's calling with the bloodwork results today, guess I'll have a panick attack to her.. just ahhh damn it....

angeldogs
November 28th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Sorry to hear about Cider not feeling well.Poor girl.

chico2
November 28th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I am very sorry about Cider,I really hope you get some answers today:fingerscr
Was she not playing with the 2 beautiful Springers not too long ago??
Were they not in the water??Maybe bacteria in the water??
:fingerscr for good news today:love:

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Whatever it is, she likely got it in NY. Her blood work came back all great..
Loosing fur sounds like a secondary infection the antibiotics should deal with..

Sounds more and more like a doggie cold that got pretty bad, but being viral there's not much they can do, except make sure she eats and drinks..

They are discounting Lyme for now, but if she shows symptoms I'm supposed to take her right in whether it be a week or 3 months from now.

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM
both our girls can commisserate together then, MP :o and i thought it was the season for human flu and colds. whodathunkit? :confused: :cool:

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I never really though dogs got colds.. I was plenty sick last winter... never her though. Makes me wonder if before traveling in future there's anything I can do to ward off her falling ill taking her to different environment though.

So you want to host the party of sickies or should I :p

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Oh oh, She's coming back...
Seen more bitey teeth in an hour wanting to play than I have in two weeks, snout getting into trouble an all.. I think she's getting better. Whooooo

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
:fingerscr Good luck!

rainbow
November 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Hope Cider's progress continues. :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
November 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
She had enough energy to cause trouble off and on today :p
And while a pain in the butt, it's nice to know she's getting better. She's low key and sleepy tonight, but it's still an improvement.

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 06:42 PM
She's on the right track ! :thumbs up Keep bugging your mom Cider,she likes it that way.:dog: :pawprint:

Hunter's_owner
November 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear Cider is feeling better. :)

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
yayy! happy cider news! :highfive:

chico2
November 29th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Good to hear:thumbs up

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM
And theeeennnn? Any more news?:o :dog:

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Puked bile on my floor just now...

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM
mm mm mm... Did you feed her this week or what?

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Choosing to eat one meal a day pretty much.. And now that it's TO ocean blue she'd apparently rather starve..

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 12:51 PM
is cider not fond of fishy foods?... :o

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Loved the wellness whitefish even after they changed the food and it made her sick.. But she's a picky little *beep*. She ate one bowl of the TO ocean in NY.. next day ate a few kibbles third day turned her nose up.. Really picky eater, but I'm long out of the habit of spicing up her food cause it makes her worse. Only thing is she has to eat to give her her antibiotics.. So I can't have her choose to not eat for the next three days.

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM
hmmm... is she still getting her "ripe" riblets to snack on?.. :dog:

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
MP, I'm glad to hear Cider's feeling much better :party:

mafiaprincess
November 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Tried while she was sort of off licked and walked off didn't care at all for her meat...

Finally 3-4 hours after I gave her kibble she ate it.. not very happily.

technodoll
November 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM
well since i've discovered the joys of force-feeding a picky dog who turns up food all the time... :D i stopped cracking my head on "what to feed, oh what to feed that my dog will eat". it was either that or lose my mind, LOL! now i feed what i want, the dog gets what he needs, everybody's happy :p

(ok people think i'm crazy... meh!)