Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giant hairball has me worried

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Last nite I could hear the calling card of a hairball being hacked up somewhere in my house, so off on a hunt I went.

I found it and almost threw up ... Im not kidding it was at least 6 inches long:eek: I dont know what cat hacked this up as there was no cat around when i went down hunting for it.

THat is a huge hairball... what can i do to help the cats better rid of these things???
I do not want an intestinal blockage to happen.

jiorji
November 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
erm can we see a picture??:o

apparently eating catgrass or catnip can help. There's also hairball remedy cat food. There's also laxative hairball product(so i read) that will help with this. I think you have to spray it on something for them to lick and that will help.

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I am NOT digging that beast back up for a picture, but if you really really want it, i could, but its friggen gross.!!!

badger
November 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Oh this is so familiar. My one long-haired cat recently produced a hair ball of about the same size, shaped exactly like a turd and very densely packed. Same cat is an intermittant hacker (non-productive) and his teeth are shameful, so we'll be seeing the vet soon.
I have never found anything helpful for hairballs. I give them the gel occasionally or if someone is hacking, but who knows if it helps. Oily sardines are also suggested.
From a certain perspective, your cat's system is performing normally. For some reason he couldn't pass this accumulation of hair and so he brought it up the other way. Maybe this is why some vets consider hairballs 'not a problem'. At the same time, I'm guessing that blocages are probably rare.

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I hope so, but that has to be so uncomfortable to hack up... I would be happy if they would hack them up a bit more frequently and definately smaller in size, I'll go dig it up later for y'all to be as grossed out as I was!:yuck:

Prin
November 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
That's pretty gross. Hope your kitty's ok.:)

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Here it is, you asked for it! :yuck:

jiorji
November 27th, 2006, 04:51 PM
CRIKEY!!:eek:

cpietra16
November 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Lordy lordy...that's one huge hair worm....I don't think I've ever seen one that big, and I have had many cats....wow. Your kitty sure must feel better and a lot lighter:p
Their bodies are meant to expell them so I guess the size does not matter, as long as they get rid of it

dogcatharmony
November 27th, 2006, 05:39 PM
don't know why i looked....curiosity got the better of me:sick:

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
:D sorry but that looks like mister Hanky (was that his name? the Christmas poop from South Park)

Hunter's_owner
November 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Oh my goodness, that is huge!!!

Frenchy you are right it does look like Mr Hanky;) :D

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Oh my goodness, that is huge!!!

Frenchy you are right it does look like Mr Hanky;) :D

:offtopic: Imagine the people who don't watch South Park , what ? A christmas poop ? :confused:

jesse's mommy
November 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Let's compare, hairball -- Mr. Hankey?

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Let's compare, hairball -- Mr. Hankey?

Thanks JM ! All Erykah needs now is a little Christmas hat for mister hairball....

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
lol, NO, Its back in the garbage where it belongs. I wish i knew which cat hacked that up though, I know it wasnt Mia or Floyd they were here with me. So its either Oliver, Larry or Fuzzer.....:confused: I think i should keep a really close eye on those three.

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks JM ! All Erykah needs now is a little Christmas hat for mister hairball....

ROTFLMAO....Frenchy, you are just too funny sometimes. :D

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 08:24 PM
ROTFLMAO....Frenchy, you are just too funny sometimes. :D

Thanks but it's the pills :crazy: But Erykah, have you tried the laxative paste ? I used to give some to my cats and they loved it,I don't remember wich flavor tough.....It did the job.

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
BTW....that is one gross looking hair turd. :eek:

My cats very seldom get them and one of them is a long hair. I can't remember the last time and they're 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 yr. old now. I have a tube of that hairball remedy stuff somewhere "just in case" ....I hope it doesn't have an expiry date on it. The only thing I do is comb them lots. :o

heidiho
November 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Dont mean to hi jack,but i didnt get it,you said you are funny because of the pills???Did i miss something,,,,,

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Dont mean to hi jack,but i didnt get it,you said you are funny because of the pills???Did i miss something,,,,,

:offtopic: Right now I'm having a tooth infection and my cheek is so swollen I look like a chimpmunk and I have to take 16 pills a day for a week :eek: antibiotics and 2 different pain killers :sick:

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I hope it doesn't have an expiry date on it.

Yes it does :D

heidiho
November 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
That Is Funny,well Not Funny Like Ha Ha But Funny Like Youre Being Funny Cause You Are On 16 Pills.and Hair Turd Now That Is Teh Funniest Thing I Have Ever Heard

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
STOP THREADJACKING ME :D Just kidding, threadjack away

I have tried the hairball slime and they DO NOT like it! They run away.... Im gonna call the vet, see what they thinks bouts it!

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Yes it does :D

Oh poop. :o

rainbow
November 27th, 2006, 10:33 PM

I have tried the hairball slime and they DO NOT like it! They run away.... Im gonna call the vet, see what they thinks bouts it!

Erykah, try smearing it on their paws.....they will lick it off. ;)

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Good thinking! ( actually common sence, cats are groomers and hate being "dirty")

Im gonna get a new tube tomorrow, the one i have is prolly more of a penicilan now :o

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM

You should try another flavor. Once I bought a less expensive one and they didn't like it. Went back the luxurious one :D and it worked.

BMDLuver
November 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Might I recommend weight control food? It works well with cats who have awful hairball problems. I switched a cat I had here to it, she was rolfing hairballs daily and now it's maybe every three months if that? My vet recommended trying it as there's been some such study or other about it. Don't know why it works but it did for this kitty and we just gave her a bit more tinned to compensate for the reduced caloric intake.:o