Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm New

RustysMom
November 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Everyone! I just came across this site today and am anxious to speak with you all!

My name is Tara and I enjoy these forums as they give me an opportunity to tell my story of animal cruelty and keep the candle of hope lit :candle: by informing people of the severity of these horrific cases. The latest incident with Daisy Duke brought back all of the emotions I felt two years ago with our cruelty case. On October 23, 2004, our 15 yr old belgian malinois x (both deaf and partially blind) was tortured and mutilated in our front yard while we slept. I found her the next morning at feeding time, laying limp, covered in blood, but still warm. Her post mortem revealed that she had severe head trauma due to blunt force; she had been beaten on both sides of her body, resulting in most of her ribs being broken on the right side; she had multiple stab wounds; her flesh was purple due to internal bleeding; and she had a laceration across the back of her neck and her scalp had been pulled inside out over her face. (it looked as if they tried to rip it right off, but were unsuccessful) As well, one of her ears was found about 3 meters away.:rip:

This was a horrific case of cruelty and still remains unsolved to this date. Without evidence, there really was no case to follow up on. I took it to the media when everyone else said to let it go. I chose to tell my story to whoever would hear it, and the response was overwhelming. People from the community got together and raised money for a reward; letters and donations came from across our province. It was heart-warming to know that people cared as I originally felt like there was only us against the world.

Please tell everyone you know that animal cruelty laws need to be changed for the sake of all the Rusty's and Daisy Duke's in the world today. So many of these cases are never reported and I can attest to that as Executive Director of a local animal welfare organization that has dedicated itself to helping stray and abandoned companion animals that are timing out at the city pound. So many of them show signs of abuse and we receive so many calls of abuse cases. We are working on our education program because we feel it starts with the children. We have been on the local news and recently received the City Heroes award from CityTV for choosing to do something instead of just talking about it.

Never stop the voice for those that can't speak - for then there will be just be silence.:pray: And please, if you have a story to tell, let me know.

Thanks!

RustysMom
November 29th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I guess my post was a little less welcome than others. Sorry for the post. :sad:

Hunter's_owner
November 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Umm...I didn;t reply because I didn't know what to say. :shrug:

I am all for stopping cruelty against animals, but I absolutely cannot hear about it or read about it. It makes me very sad, and it sticks in my mind for a long time. :sad:

So I welcome you to the forum, and I hope you find that this is a great place. :)

Frenchy
November 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM
The thing is we already know about those kind of stories. It's the "other" people (non pet owners) that needs to learn about it.:shrug: All of us here are already aware of it all.

jesse's mommy
November 29th, 2006, 08:59 PM
The thing is we already know about those kind of stories. It's the "other" people (non pet owners) that needs to learn about it.:shrug: All of us here are already aware of it all.

That's exactly why I didn't respond. It's like the petition pushing thing from a month ago that kept getting locked.

LibbyP
November 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Umm...I didn;t reply because I didn't know what to say. :shrug:

I also didn't know what to say after I read your post: Ummm Welcome Tara... sounded kind weird after reading that you went through such a horrific event. :sorry: that happened. Maybe sharing your story and reading some of the posts here you'll feel not so alone with your pain. Education is the key :thumbs up We'd love to see pics of you furkid and fosters.

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Yeah. I agree. There are a lot of people who work in rescue and those who don't are VERY passionate about animals, and we really don't come here to get upset all the time. :shrug: We know it's going on, but this is our escape from it. This is our happy place where everybody takes great care of their animals.

Speaking of which, do you have any pics of your furries? We love pics. :)

RustysMom
November 30th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Let me start again then.

Hi. My name's Tara. I'm new to the forum and look forward to chatting with you all. I'm an avid animal lover and volunteer my time with a local rescue organization. The message that I sent earlier was in no means a form of "junk mail" as it was a story of my experience and a little background on my life.

I have a 12 year old shepherd (Bandit) whom I've had since he was baby. I foster dogs and cats as well and enjoy each one as I watch them transform from fearful, sometimes mischevious furballs into obedient, caring pets. Sometimes it's hard to let go, but you know that there's another at the pound just waiting for the clock to run out.

My shepherd is my baby though and I'll miss him when he's gone. He's showing signs of weakness and it's hard to watch as he's always been so strong. We've been lucky with him in that aside from anti-freeze poisoning, we have never had any major medical issues.

Thanks for the welcome. Everyone take care.

Saving an animal won't change the world, but the world has sure changed for that one animal. -author unknown

cpietra16
November 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Welcome, and please post some pics...we require to have them on this site:D
And please accept my condolences for your loss...its really horrific and moments like this I pray there truly is an "eye for an eye" beyond this world.

RustysMom
November 30th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm unable to show a pic of my shepherd as I don't know how to download one onto this site. My foster animals are Astro (the lab) and Jimmy (the cat) and can be viewed on their website if you want to take a peek!

Frenchy
November 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
(let me start over too :p ) Hi RustysMom, you can post pic buy clicking on the manage attachments below. So you foster cats in dogs , at the same time :eek: :crazy:

technodoll
November 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM
welcome to the forum :) and oh it really hurt to read rusty's story :sad: how some humans can be so heartless, cruel and evil is beyond me... may they all burn in hell is all i can say :pray: at least you did something about it, you are fighting back and giving a voice to all the animals who need you :thumbs up

(photos pleeease photos)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Rustys mom welcome - I look forward to seeing pics of the furbaby - and I am so sorry for what happened to Rusty :rip: that is just beyond horrible. :rip: :dog:

we3beagles
November 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
:D Welcome. We all hate reading stories like that, but for those of us so passionate about animals it is very hard for us to hear them. For myself it can send me into a tailspin depression that allows for no human compassion or kindness. I cried for days over the reports from Didsbury that day and could barely function at work. I have to believe that there are still some good families left or I won't be able to adopt any out so I try not to read too many. My husband won't let me read the paper or listen to news reports on it because he knows it makes me so sad.

Now that you have bummed us out I think it is only fair that you cheer us up with some pictures of your furbaby. Are you having trouble with the file size?
Let us know and we can guide you through it. We DEMAND PICTURES!!!

erykah1310
November 30th, 2006, 11:07 PM
HI Tara and welcome! Itoo would love to see some pics...

Mahealani770
December 1st, 2006, 06:34 AM
Wow, I'm at work and just reading this post for the very first time. I'm extremely bummed out and in tears about what happened to poor Rusty :(
I can't imagine finding my furbaby like that and I can't imagine what kind of cruel, MONSTER could've done something like that to an innocent dog :mad: It's just beyond me. My heart is aching for you and for Rusty and I'm so, so sorry that people are heartless and disgusting. I won't be able to get that image out of my head for a long, long time so I can't even imagine what you've been living with. Beyond that, welcome to the board :o
~M~

RustysMom
December 1st, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hope this works! Here's my 12 yr old "baby" Bandit with his new foster friend, Jimmy. And the lab x is my foster dog Astro.

LibbyP
December 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
I see them.... very cute looks like Bandit and Jimmy are the best of buddies, and I like Astros red on black very handsome. I also have an older boy who will be 13yrs in acouple of days, it's hard to watch them grow old, but it's nice to know you have given them the best home filled with love and cuddles :pawprint:

Prin
December 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Great furry family!

On October 23, 2004, our 15 yr old belgian malinois x (both deaf and partially blind) was tortured and mutilated in our front yard while we slept.Sorry, but this is bugging me... Why was he outside while you were sleeping if he was deaf and almost blind? :o

RustysMom
December 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
I have had to struggle with the public on this very subject since Rusty was taken from us. I knew that I would be scrutinized when people heard that she was an outdoor dog and was deaf and blind. The only answer I can give you is this: Rusty was a rescue dog. She was taken in by us from a farmyard where she was kept in an abandoned pigpen and fed boiled potatoes every other day. Her mate died before we could save him for reasons unknown. My guess is that it was heartworm because Rusty required immediate treatment for the same when we rescued her. Due to her lack of socialization, she was extremely aggressive to cats and protective against other dogs. She had nipped at people before prior to our taking her. Knowing this history, we still felt it was better for her to be with us then to stay where she was. We owned a cat at the time, along with my current shepherd, Bandit. It took awhile for Rusty to warm to Bandit, but eventually she did and they became friends. She didn't do so well with our indoor cat though. And being brought up her whole life outdoors, the times when we brought her in, she cried and paced at the door. She had access to our garage and yard. She was with us when we walked or were just outdoors doing yardwork. She was happy. And I know that in my heart. She would sit beside me on the deck and rest her head on my leg.....................and her eyes told me that she was content. Just to be near someone she trusted after so many years of abuse. For my own animals safety, it was the only place I could take care of her. And I know some people will disagree, but I can't change that or take it back. I know I tried my best to make her last years happy ones and I'm at peace inside. The person who hurt her did it as a revenge act. He himself owned two rottweilers that were deemed by the RCMP as dangerous and he was monitored for this. He suffers from a mental illness and requires medication. I will never be able to prove in a court of law that he is responsible for her death, but I will have to continue to live right next door to him as he is my neighbor. Everyday that I see his face, I see Rusty. It's my belief that he watched us, day in and day out. He knew our routines as well as Rusty's routine. He knew where she was, and he knew the layout of the yard. He knew when we turned out the lights. He planned it out very well and has succeeded in fooling everyone. So yes, Rusty was an outdoor dog who was fed, given clean water, given shelter, given love.......all of which meant nothing to the people who couldn't see that far.
We were with her thru her heartworm treatment, her cancer treatments, and a stroke treatment. And if I could have picked up the pieces on that damp, cold October morning and put them back together, I would have.:rip: :sad:

Prin
December 3rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm so sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

OntarioGreys
December 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the group RustysMom, I am very sorry about Rusty, I am reading the post for the first time, and am saddened by some of the responses but not surprised, do continue to tell Rusty's story to who ever will listen, even if others tell you they do not want to hear it, his story is important and his death should not be in vain. It is not a pretty story, one is suppose to feel pain and outrage at hearing it, life is not always pretty and yes other horror stories exist that we have heard before, but each time we here a story like this, it should make us angry and outraged that even if the murderers and abusers are caught the sentence for the cruelty they inflicted will be not much more than a slap on the wrist, the current maximum sentence of $2,000 fine and/or six months imprisonment we can turn our back and say don't want to hear about it or we can start fighting back to ensure justice is fair for the crimes that are done to animals just like Rusty. Under the current criminal code animals/pets are considered property, not much difference that if someone smashed up you mailbox.

We need to become angry and raise our voices and say this is not right, Bill C-50 died, currently Bill C-373, a private memberís bill tabled by MP Mark Holland is the new onereplacing bill c-50 that is trying to be passed to bring harsher sentences for animal cruelty, we can stand back ad saying I don't want to hear about cruelty or we can listen and let it get us angry such that we do something about it and let our MP's know we want Bill 373 to pass and if they do not help put it thru we will not support them in the next election. We as animal lovers do have power to make changes but it won't happen if we turn our backs on dogs like Rusty simply because we do not like how it makes us feel. Some people made similiar comments when I posted about the puppymill petition or said it won't make a difference anyway, that defeatist attitude is partly why Bill C-50 fell thru, each and everyone of us need to stand united if we want to make changes to laws so that problems like those we know goes on can be stopped. Bill C-373 will have wording that will allow law enforcement to shut down puppymills across Canada it will also offer stiff sentences that will make it less likely that they will restart up again should they be shut down, it will have stiff laws for those that abuse any animal not just pets. And for those that say a pet forum is not the correct place to present this then what is, or those that say they don't want to be reading about sad things, well if your pet is terminally ill or sick are you planning to keep it to yourself so as to spare others from reading something sad? A forum is supposed to be supportive, which means you share the joys and the pain and if you can try to help ease that pain. Rustys story is an example of that, you have an opportunity to do something for Rusty and his owner and that is to speak up so future dogs may be spared the same fate and the best way right now is to show a strong united support for federal Bill C-373, throw away those rose coloured glasses and do an internet search under "bill c-373" to find petitions there is a lot out there, contact your local MPP, let neighbours and friends know and let RustysMom know Rusty's life mattered to you.

http://cfhs.ca/law/federal_legislation/

The Bill moves animal cruelty from the property offences part of the Criminal Code to a new section, Part V.I, Cruelty to Animals. This means that, for example, cruelty to a stray cat would be prosecuted based on the cruelty involved and the suffering of the cat; the case would not be dismissed because no owner or monetary value for the cat can be established. There is ample case evidence that treating animal offenses as property offenses has resulted in inadequate penalties and a lack of deterrence.

There is a significant increase in potential penalties for convicted offenders. Under C-373, those convicted of intentional cruelty to animals would face up to five years in prison and fines of up to $10,000. (The current maximum penalties are six months in prison and fines of up to $2,000.) The creation of "hybrid" offences gives the Crown the flexibility and discretion to deal appropriately with grave circumstances. The movement towards greater penalties is apparent throughout North America; twenty-seven states in the United States have elevated cruelty to animals from a misdemeanor to a felony offense.

The amendments increase the length of time an offender may be prohibited from future ownership of an animal. This is at the discretion of the court but, in the case of a second or subsequent offense, there is a minimum of 5 years. The order will also prohibit the accused from having custody or control of, or residing in the same premises as, an animal for the period that the court considers appropriate.
The proposed reforms have two primary objectives - to modernize and consolidate the existing provisions of the Criminal Code regarding cruelty to animals, and to increase existing maximum penalties and provide new sentencing tools to enhance the effectiveness of the law in this area.

rainbow
December 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
RustysMom, I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: You gave Rusty the best years of her life. :candle:

OG, I have already signed a petition for Bill 373......thanks for posting the info for others to see. :thumbs up

Mocha's mum
December 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Welcome RustysMom. I know you'll have a great time here, I know I sure am. I love chatting with everyone and getting stuff off of my chest.

Mocha and I are truly sorry for the ordeal you found yourself in. It makes me sick to my stomach to know that there are people out there that would disregard the life of another living creature. One day I hope that someone treats these people the way that they treated animals....