Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking two cats at once: how?

LM1313
November 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have an advice on training (or, ahem, encouraging) two cats to walk on leashes together? In the same general direction? Right now I take my kitties out for individual walks and kind of trail after them. I think I need to start encouraging them to pay more attention to where I'M going so that they make an effort to stay close to me.

I'm not sure where to start, though.

technodoll
November 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
maybe start by getting a "leash coupler" so that you only have one leash, it avoids messy tangles and then when one cat more or less gets it (go ahead in one direction), the 2nd cat "has" to follow since it's being directed by the other one? i know it works great for doggies... takes some training but they quickly do figure it out after a few walks :shrug:

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Since the Sphynx Girls only go outside in the summer on a leash, I have managed to learn how to walk all 3 of them. We do not go far that way though. I usually have 2 cats on one side and one on the other. And I tried it inside the house and then in the back yard before going out on a street which thankfully is very quiet or a lane on a woodlot we own. No busy streets for us! (I am too much of an overprotective meomy. ) Now that it is colder, none of them are too kean to go out which is just fine because they are all indoor kitties. Even in the summer, the Sphynx require their sweaters or specailly made Tee shirts. (and since white cats are especially susceptible get skin cancer, I am esp careful not to let any of them stay out for very long!!)

The other idea is to put them all in the cat stroller like this http://comfortfirst.com/images/Product/medium/PT1002.gif

I posted a picy of YY in hers (hers is the pink SUV version, good for streets and off road, lol) and do not have it on this computer but there MAY be one on this server somewhere, <g> It is just if I type in YY, I obviously discussed a LOT so that one pict is tough to find, lol

I think the leash coupler is also a great idea!

LM1313
November 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
The leash coupler sounds like a good start; I'll look for one at Petco. I don't think it would work in the summer because Remy's favorite thing is to roll around on the concrete sidewalk, LOL! But maybe by then they'll be used to going the same direction at once.

I've seen those kitty strollers, very cute! My guys definitely want to be out sniffing everything, though. But maybe I could use one to get them more used to people, right now they're freaked out by them.