Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Damn Puppy Millers!!!

wjranch
November 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I truly get my feathers ruffled over this topic... And any chance I get to condemn or negate what these "puppy millers" are doing, I jump at it!

I recently was at the 400 market, I'm sure anyone who lives within 100 miles of T.O. knows of this place.
There is a lady (i use the term loosely) who "sells" mixed breed puppies there! She says they are all healthy, have been dewormed, vet checked, 1 year health guarantee...blah blah blah... and she is asking anywhere from 250$ to 450$ depending on the "breeding" ... Last time I was by there she was shleping JRT/Yorkie mixes for 350$..... this past weekend, she was pushing Black Lab/Chow mixes for 350$ (One of my inlaws was taken in by one such puppy and purchased it, thinking "I saved her!") Now she has this 10 week old puppy at home, it is so skinny, lethargic and unresponsive to the point I'm not sure if it's totally deaf or not!... her eyes and nose appear clear enough, no sneezing or coughing (that I witnessed) but, Im' worried about the dog and my inlaws with this one...they already have a smaller dog and 3 cats (who could all be suseptible to any disease this 'new' pup may bring with it)

I'm planning on contacting this "breeder" (i really hate using that term in this type of situation) and poking around some to find out how many and what type of dogs she has on her premises... I also would like to get in there and view the situation myself... All of this to be documented and turned over to OSPCA of course. I hope I can help stop this garbage from going on any longer..... any suggestions from folks on here who have dealt with this type of situation in this area? ie: laws and by laws I should be aware of....either to help me stop this, or that I need to know about and not break???

Thanks in advance for any info or assistance :)

Angies Man
November 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Is this an individual, trying to place dogs outside the doors of a store, or is it a petshop?

If she's a private individual who's repeatedlytrying to place dogs for money, she may be vulnerable if she doesn't have a business license (or whatever the Toroto equivelent might be.) She may be considered in the same class as individuals that buy and sell used cars without a used car dealer's license. If, however, she's a licensed business, there's probably little you can do (other than get politically active and get some laws enacted.) AND, if you hassle a licensed business that is doing nothing illegal, you may be letting yourself in for a civil suit (harrassment.) So be careful--this unethical person may not be doing anything illegal.

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I don't get why is she mixting those breed ? Soooo stupid. Report her,you never know. :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 27th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't get why is she mixting those breed ? Soooo stupid. Report her,you never know. :fingerscr

$$$$$'s thats all! no other reason. :sad: There should be a ban on that sort of thing, not BSL!

Frenchy
November 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
$$$$$'s thats all! no other reason. :sad: There should be a ban on that sort of thing, not BSL!

And some people will pay lots for these dogs ! :(

mummummum
November 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Small suggestion : Have you verified that the Veterinarian's cert/ shots/ deworming is legitimate? If it is all above-board, it might be worthwhile writing a friendly, informational letter to that Veterinarian about your concerns regarding back-yard breeders and puppymills and how Vet's in general can contribute to stopping this deplorable practice that results in so much death or neglect and abuse.

In fact, I wonder if any of the rescues do this kind of letter-writing campaigning already ? Lobbying the College ? Campaigning to speak at annual conferences ? You may also want to write the owners of the 400.

I don't know that much about licencing in Ontario and breeders (BYB or otehrwise). If she is required to have kennel licence, is she also required to post that licence if she is selling animals/puppies at a market stall ? Your MPP and City Councillor may be of some help in sussing out the details.

LL1
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
How do you feel vets can help stop it?Any suggestions?