Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can changing foods be cause for diarrhea?

TheCrew
November 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Just a quick question, thanks for reading.

I just adopted a puppy from the local OSPCA on Friday. He is a 11 week old JRTx (the cross is probably daschund from the legs). He is fully UTD on his shots,was not nuetered as his testicles have not fallen yet. (rural area, no one does the early nueter here)

We've had him home since Friday, and he is on Nutro Puppy Lamb and Rice forumla. His poop's have been regualr, not hard, not too soft. A good amount, and a good color (like the color of a healthy baby poo), but tonight when we took him out, it was VERY soft, there was a bit of solid, but very very runny. And i'm just wondering if this could becaused from a change of food, or enviroment?

At the shelter he was on Royal Canin Puppy ... we have one dog here already that is on Nutro lamb and rice, and thats why we decided to switch the pup. His name is Colston I forgot to mention. We weren't able to get any Royal Canin to switch slowly, and so I'm thinking that we've just upset his li tummy.

My other dog we got from a breeder so we kept her on what the breeder had her on and never had this trouble.
I'm just a worried new mommy. 3 years since the last puppy, it feels lik I've forgotten everything.

Thanks for your time.

Prin
November 26th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Could be, but it could be a number of things. I think you should bring him to your own vet for a full assessment.

Hunter's_owner
November 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah I agree with Prin, and I am a worrier too, lol. So I would have a vet see the puppy for sure;)

springermom0406
November 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM
How fast did you switch him? If you didn't gradually switch that is probably why his stool is loose.

OntarioGreys
November 26th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Could be caused by food change, stress, possibly internal parasites so a vet visit is necessary

ByronsDad
November 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Could be a number of things, but most likely is just his body adjusting to the new food and or the stress of a new environment. I wouldn’t be too concerned if he just has one runny poop, and then it goes back to normal. At his age, he may be eating a number of things outside. We had a problem with our pup trying to eat leaves, grass and maple keys. He even tried to eat mushrooms on a few occasions, but thankfully we stopped him in time. He would eat too many of these things, have runny poop later, and then was fine the next day (and he is worm and parasite free). No amount of raking in our yard was enough, he always found the things we missed. But I digress….
If in doubt, see a vet.

TheCrew
November 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Colston had one more diarreah poo last night and when I took him for his check up today everything came out fine. It probably has been a combination of changing foods, and eating a few leaves outside on walks. Thanks for the answers everyone