Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

All of a sudden sniffer

mini_buddy
November 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
~Hi...I'm new here, and hope someone can help. I have a 2 year old male Mini-Dacshund, and for the past 24 hours he has been sniffing feverishly. This is the first time he has done this. He is darting around the house like mad, running up and down the stairs...as if he is looking for something. We have used air fresheners, lit candles, to no avail. This AM he started to cough as if something were there. He hasn't thrown up (that we know of). Can anyone help? Thanks!!

hazelrunpack
November 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
~Hi...I'm new here, and hope someone can help. I have a 2 year old male Mini-Dacshund, and for the past 24 hours he has been sniffing feverishly. This is the first time he has done this. He is darting around the house like mad, running up and down the stairs...as if he is looking for something. We have used air fresheners, lit candles, to no avail. This AM he started to cough as if something were there. He hasn't thrown up (that we know of). Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

"Sniffing" like he smells something, "sniffing" like his nose is running, or "sniffing" like an inverted sneeze? If his nose is running and he's beginning to cough, a vet visit is definitely in order. A cough is never a good sign.

mini_buddy
November 26th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Sorry for being vague.....he is sniffing like he smells something....the cough was more like a "furball" cough, but it lasted many minutes.
:sorry:

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
November 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Not a problem...just needed a little more information, is all :D

Just a guess...but you might have a varmint in the house. :eek: We live in the country and this time of year, the white-footed mice are seeking winter apartments. Occasionally they decide a house with 6 dogs could be entertaining and they try to move in here. (some mice aren't so smart, I guess...) We always know when it's time to set the traps because the dogs start sniffiing along the baseboards, following scent across the floor, and looking behind the furniture and the dog crates. Does that sound like what your boy is doing?

The cough is likely unrelated--although I know of a dog who has a cough reflex when he gets overly excited. It might have been just an inhaled dust-bunny. The cough could mean something in and of itself, though, and if it continues, have it checked at the vet.

mini_buddy
November 26th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I did go fishing yesterday, and where I went there was tons of Geese poop. It was on my shoes, but I scraped it off and rinsed them best I could. I'm sure the smell was on my clothes, which I wore for a few hours after returning home.

Also, we had a friendly skunk around the house last night, and it must have been tremendously close to the house. All of these things might just be driving him crazy!!!

Thanks again for your quick responses. This is a great site!!!
Aaron:thumbs up