Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitten is always hungry, yellow-runny poop

kittenwithawit
November 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I've never had a cat before, I've always been a dog person. But I was sitting on the porch when a kitten wondered up and I couldn't resist taking her in. My street is littered with stray cats and I figured even though I can't do much about that I can give this kitten a good home.

She's a very lovable cat, likes to play and is starting to get along with my two chihuahuas, but she's having a few problems. First she is ALWAYS hungry. Anytime we have people food she won't stop meowing and jumps and claws to get some food. I went and got her a litter box and her own kitty food, but for a few days she wouldn't even eat the cat food. She meows constantly, and I'm thinking it's because she wants food. But even when I give her food she can never get enough. Also her poop is yellow and runny. Maybe that's because of the cat food being different from what she's used to, or maybe she's sick, I'm not sure.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated, but please refrain from telling me to take the cat to the vet. I notice that's usually the answer to all the questions, but come on people, some of us don't have that option so that's why they come here. Yea, I'm aware if you can't afford an animal you shouldn't own one, but this kitten's only other option is the street and I'm guessing her chances are better with me.

My Brother in law used to work at a vet's office and he says it sounds like she might have worms. I know they have wormer at the store but I don't know what kind, or if it's even safe.

Blathach
November 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Please take your cat to the vet and post back with an update. We are not vets and cannot diagnose over the internet, nor do we recommend self-medicating any pets.