Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is losing her fur

Kitty Kitty
November 25th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me. I have 2 cats that have fleas. One keeps getting out of the house and the other is indoors all the time. The one that is in doors is the worst. Last year they had fleas and I bought them flea collars. The one losing her fur is perfect. Perfects neck became raw and started bleeding. I figured it was the buckle on the collar and took it off. Shortly after the fleas were gone. Well, this year I found out it was not the colar. I put a different brand on her and the same thing happen. This year it is alot worse. I put the leg part of a sock on her neck to stop her from scratching it. For the most part it is working. Know she is bithing and scratching all over. She has lost a lot of fur and has small cuts all over. I have bathed her 3 times and used the drops on the back of her neck and she still has fleas. I thought maybe she was alergic to fleas. (whick is still posible) but it seems my other cat is showing the same problem on his back near his tail. He also has small cuts along his back. Could this be from having fleas to long for one cat and an alergic reaction for another. LIke a lot of people this time of year, I have very little money and can't take them to the vet. If this is some kind of skin diseas that needs to be treated by a vet. I am sad to say I would have to give them up. Last year I spent over $300 dollar on my male cat on Christmas Eve for some kind of bladder problem, we almost lost him. I don't have even a 1/3 of that kind of money now..Please tell me there is a way for me to fix this on my own. I don't want to get rid of my two baby's at Christmas time. Well, I don't want to give them up any time. Please help!!!!
Kitty Kitty

Maya
November 25th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Was it a UTI infection your cat had last year? That can be avoided by purchasing a quality food with low ash. The food forum here is a great place to get some suggestions if you are interested. It is cheaper in the long run because they eat less of it and will be healthier.

I have 2 cats that have fleas. One keeps getting out of the house and the other is indoors all the time. The one that is in doors is the worst. Last year they had fleas and I bought them flea collars. The one losing her fur is perfect. Perfects neck became raw and started bleeding. I figured it was the buckle on the collar and took it off. Shortly after the fleas were gone. Well, this year I found out it was not the colar. I put a different brand on her and the same thing happen. This year it is alot worse. I put the leg part of a sock on her neck to stop her from scratching it. For the most part it is working. Know she is bithing and scratching all over. She has lost a lot of fur and has small cuts all over. I have bathed her 3 times and used the drops on the back of her neck and she still has fleas. I thought maybe she was alergic to fleas. (whick is still posible) but it seems my other cat is showing the same problem on his back near his tail. He also has small cuts along his back. It sounds like the problem has been going on for so long that both your cat's have developed very serious skin conditions that need to be treated by a vet. I'm posting a link that explains the cycle so you can understand why fleas are difficult to get rid of.

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol3num2/fleas/fleas.html

I don't have even a 1/3 of that kind of money now..Please tell me there is a way for me to fix this on my own. I don't want to get rid of my two baby's at Christmas time. Well, I don't want to give them up any time. Please help!!!!If you can get the problem under control it shouldn't have to keep dragging out and costing you. This isn't meant to make you feel guilty but to try and persuade you to find a way to get your kitty's to the vet. My financial situation does not allow me to have or give Christmas presents or celebrate special times of the year with more than the room I live in and the small amount of food I have at any one time. I've gone without food to help my cat's and no longer have pets because I can't take care of them and don't want to see them suffer without medical attention. Please think of their health as a gift worth much more than anything you can buy at this time of year. If you really cannot afford to take care of them consider finding them loving forever homes that will be able to take care of their medical needs.

Perhaps someone else here can offer you more advice about what to expect at the vet and the costs involved. You could also call for some estimates and you may be surpised that it is not as expensive as you thought it would be.

Good luck, please find a way to get the kitty's to the vet, what you've described sounds very painful for them. I'm sorry this wasn't what you wanted to hear but it is my honest opinion.

badger
November 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
First of all, take off their collars, they are poisonous and, as you have seen, some cats react to them badly.
Secondly, stop bathing them, it only dries out their skinand makes things worse. Cats don't need baths (unless the vet says so).
What are you feeding them? Buy some fish oil capsules, prick them with a pin and empty the contents into the food, every time you feed them.
Vacuum your house thoroughly several times to catch the fleas hiding in the carpets. Wash anything to do with the cats - their bed, blankets; and yours if they sleep with you - in hot hot water. If there are fleas in the house, only one has to jump on a cat and the cycle starts again.
What were the 'drops on the back of the neck'. Did you get that from a vet?
Some vets will take monthly payments; could you manage that? They definitely need to be checked out.
I agree with Maya, you need to spend the money to get them healthy or give them up. Sorry, there's no other way.