Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brand-name or generic?

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Are most of the products you buy "brand name" items, or do you go for the cheaper generic stuff? I have some brand loyalty for a few products but in general, i'm happy to try anything once (if it's of a certain quality, for example i only buy "3-ply" tissues and find they're all the same) and opt for the less expensive things most of the time... i love sales too :cloud9:

Frenchy
November 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I do buy them , at least to try (the generic's ones). I really like the ones from Pharmaprix (Life's products) they are usually made by brand companies anyway :shrug: Same goes for the food.

wdawson
November 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
i thing 90% are made under licence from major companies.......we use alot of generic brands.....but somethings need to be brand specific.....no yellow bags labeled DOG FOOD here :D

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I would never buy generic and certainly not even from a grocery store (too much rendering and ugh stuff and I REFUSE to buy certain brands and any company that has used animals in reseearch and thast covers most of the ones in grocery stores) - unless I was desperate and me and the klitties were stuck somewhere. We order Wellness. And the occasional raw chicken hearts. YY used to like Fancy Feast but I weaned her off that as well. We have a health food store that sells some good food but I order Wellness products directly from a wholesale company.

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
LOL cyberkitten, i mean stuff like laundry detergent, toothpaste, tomato sauce, shampoo... not petfood :)

Lukka'sma
November 24th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Brand names all the way for me. I have tried a few no name products, but something about buying them just makes me cringe.

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM
what about "house brands"?... :cool:

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 10:16 PM
it depends...I'll often TRY the generic or 'house' brand, and sometimes (for food) it tastes the same, sometimes it REALLY doesn't. Like peanut butter -- don't buy house-brand peanut butter -- it's definetly NOT AS good as the real stuff!
Stuff that's really the same (like javel...whether you buy javex or generic..it's still javel), I buy the cheaper stuff :shrug:

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Brand names, or reputation...:shrug:

But the dog food makes me wonder. Is everything advertised on tv bad? Like you see the big chain stores advertising on tv all the time. Are they better than the ma and pa ones? We already know they don't have as good after-sale service...

Today I went to get a watch fixed, so right away, I thought a department store would be cheaper than a jeweler, but when the department store lady couldn't get the back of the watch off, I went to the jeweler and it was 1/3 the price...:eek:

Anyway... sorry for the off topic..:offtopic:

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM
i love smaller shops :o i find they usually have much better customer service, good prices, friendly attitudes... yeah. go mom & pop if you can! :thumbs up

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Like you see the big chain stores advertising on tv all the time. Are they better than the ma and pa ones? We already know they don't have as good after-sale service...

I know smaller stores have better service, and I firmly believe that we should encourage local merchants instead of large, faceless multi-national companies....the problem is...I can't afford my convictions :o :frustrated: Big stores are usually cheaper...

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, but you can haggle in little stores.;)

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I guess haggle-ing at Walmart isn't too usefull :rolleyes:

wdawson
November 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
trying to do anything at walmart is useless.........i hate that store.

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I haggled at Future Shop though...;)

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM
but, they're rolling back the prices!! ;) :rolleyes:

brandynva
November 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I like both. I have my favorite brand names, but I also buy a lot of "house" brand. It is true that the peanut butter isn't the same. And coffee. And yogurt.

wdawson
November 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
as far as i am concerned the can roll all the way back to the u.s........those greeters are annoying....taping my bags....have a great shopping experience....why don't they just say don't steal and thanks for giving us your money:rolleyes:

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Oh duh, rofl!!!! :crazy: I must be "losing it". Can I blame the chemo, lol? Nah, I am just inattentive and feline centric tonite I guess. You would think the fact the topic is in ahem "off topic" would be half or is that 1/4 a clue, lol Plus Chelsea, one of the Sphynx is in my lap and I am thinking about cats I guess.

For me, it depends on the product. There are certain items for which an generic will never do. Cereal for example - has to be Kashi (which in spite of its promotion in the so called health food section is made by Kelloggs but that was my sister - she introduced them to me, brought some from Boston, lol so it's all her fault. Like I had nothing to do with buying them here, hehheh). Seriously, I don't care for much generic food. I like the taste and check the labels (such as the laws of our land provide for some tho not enuf labelling.) of certain foods like the aforementioned as well as certain kinds of yogurt. I bought generic yogurt once, ugh!! I have bought some generic food but not many. (I am groping to think of one offhand and cannot. Water but that's not nec'ly food, lol. Like why pay for Perrier when I can geNERIC lemon Pres Choice at a better price?) I like Nestlé's Strawberry water with sucralose. It goes fast too - WalMart and Shopper's cannot keep it on the shelf here. My office mgr bought me some citrus stuff once and OMG, it was awful. The lemon is so so.

Anyway - since this is not about reviewing water.... ;) ...

Some OTC meds are fine on a generic level but even there, it depends on which ones. They are not all created equal. Frosst's 222's for ex has a good polymer so if someone has a bad stomach (in which case they prob should not be taking anything with ASA to start with), they are better off - even financially in the long run and esp healthwise not to buy generic in that case. If they have a cast iron stomach and drink copious amts of milk, the generic is prob OK. <g> Not much difference with the acetaminophen products. They will dissolve faster tho and that's tougher on one's kidneys and liver if you take too much of them.

Anyway - I'll stop with the "shop talk" - no pun intended.

I actually found a great WalMart employee. (Not always easy to actually find one, never mind a really good one so this was a pleasant surprise but the electronics section is small, lol) I was searching for a new HD for a computer for my office and while my office mgr should be doing that, I am more techie than she is and she is better at keeping the place organized than I am so I went after work to see what was avail at WalMart. None as it turned out but he gave me great recommendation for other stores and told me about a new tech store opening with prices on something I had picked up for my niece (a pink mp3 player) that was cheaper there. I wonder how long he'll last at WalMart - obviously, he is not working on commission, lol

I don't care for generic toothpaste - does that exist even? lol (and I would never buy any at the Dollar store after discovering most of the stuff is imported from countries that do not have the same laws we do re fluorides et al so one could do harm.)

But I never met a Dollar store I did not like and Dollarama has some kewl stuff - I bought a paper cutter for the office that was $24.99 at Staples & $14.99 at Walmart (It was more in the fabric and crafts section - what's up with that?). I always liked little nit picky stuff, junk and I buy lots of Dollarama stuff for the office - even toys like Slinky, Silly Putty tho some parents are prob ready to kill me when the child brings the stuff home, lol, colouring books, etc, etc. But there is no sib for lego and all little girls know the difference between real Barbies and the wannabes. (Can you tell I spend a lot of time with kids, lol?) I love to colour - I am not at all unafraid to admit I became a pediatrician bec I never grew up so I buy those wonderful colouring books at Dover (They even have one about hospitals and I bought a case of them - the hospital auxiliary helped me out there, I am forever grateful, I can bone up - no pun intended - on my colouring while examining a patient, lol) http://store.doverpublications.com/0486430332.html
and
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486409821.html

But I digress. Sorry!! There are no generic books except the Dollarama colouring books, lol

And to respond to Prin's off topic remark, I had the same experience with a silver bracelet I needed fixed. The jewelry store was far cheaper than the dept store!!

I am not really into big time brand name clothes but there are certain brands I like. But I wear other stuff too.

Anyway, that's it, lol Sorry about the length and prev confusion!!

jesse's mommy
November 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Cereal for example - has to be Kashi (which in spite of its promotion in the so called health food section is made by Kelloggs but that was my sister - she introduced them to me, brought some from Boston, lol so it's all her fault. Like I had nothing to do with buying them here, hehheh).

:offtopic: Sorry, but I have to make a small note on this because I work for Kellogg. Kashi was an independent company, but was bought by Kellogg's a few years ago. Kellogg's has really focused on the natural/organic food over the past few years including buying the biggest Organic food company only last year. Kellogg's owns Kashi, Keebler, Austin, Morningstar, Murray, Famous Amos, Worthington, Loma Linda, and Sunshine. I know in the division I work in, we launched an organic line as well.

erykah1310
November 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well funny you ask... For me, Ketchup has to be Heinz ( I wont even consider no name) Mustard must be frenches or Dijon, Shampoo... depends, I switch it alot but only buy named brands, Laudry detergent, Tide Bleach even has to be Javex :confused: Growing up no name or other generics were never purchased so it is highly unlikely I will buy anything that is generic... ( except for dumb things like paper towel,(but glass cleaner must be windex)...:shrug:
The way I was raised i suppose!

Frenchy
November 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM
The way I was raised i suppose!

I don't think so. My mom always bought brand name products (did the generic ones existed in the 70's?) and still does. Having a mortgage to pay by myself,I don't mind generic products as much as I used to.:D :shrug:

Prin
November 25th, 2006, 02:25 PM
:offtopic: Sorry, but I have to make a small note on this because I work for Kellogg. Kashi was an independent company, but was bought by Kellogg's a few years ago. Kellogg's has really focused on the natural/organic food over the past few years including buying the biggest Organic food company only last year. Kellogg's owns Kashi, Keebler, Austin, Morningstar, Murray, Famous Amos, Worthington, Loma Linda, and Sunshine. I know in the division I work in, we launched an organic line as well.

ooo I love dirt like that. :thumbs up

rainbow
November 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I buy whatever is on sale. :o Sometimes the brand names are actually cheaper than the generic brands and when they are I stock up. :D

President's Choice (store brand) quality is pretty good too. ;)

technodoll
November 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM
me too, rainbow... i prefer "brand names" but if an equivalent "house brand" or generic is significantly cheaper... i'll buy that, unless i've had a previous bad experience with this product before. i actually prefer the PC brand better than name brands for some things :D

however there is no substitute for Listerine or Aylmer's Tomato soup (:D ), and i prefer the no-name peanut butter to most brand names, am i wierd?... for cereal i'm ok to buy pretty much whatever but nothing replaces my Chapman's Frozen Yogurt (don't even THINK about generic in the frozen desserts category :eek: ).

:crazy:

Schwinn
November 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
For me, it really depends on what it is. For example, when I'm buying OTC medicine, I usually pick up the generic and the brand name, and compare the medicinal ingrediants, and if it's the same buy the generic.

When I'm buying something, I try to research and decide what gives me the best value. I walked into Best Buy to buy an Ipod, and walked out with a different MP3 player which probably is a much better one for my needs, and was also a little cheaper. And in retrospect, from the reviews, is a much better quality.

Clothing I usually don't buy brand names, because I don't see the need to pay extra for the name. That, and I'm married, so I don't need to have the lable ;)

The one thing I don't cheap out on is bike gear. Two reasons; one, biking is my passion, but number two is that, for the type of riding I do, the brand names really are the quality parts. My tune-up last year cost more than most of the bikes in the department store, but that being said, most of the bikes in the department store wouldn't handle the trails (or, more specifically, my heavy butt riding them on the trails!). I also don't mind paying more if the service is good. There's a local bike shop that has been amazing to me, throwing me the odd free part, and has giving free labour to install parts that I could have installed. He also doesn't mind when I show up and hang out for longer than I should (trips to the bike shop are rarely in and out deals for me). There is a web-site I go to that offers parts for GREATLY reduced prices (I got a set of forks for several hundred less than any shop in Canada), but for the most part, if it isn't a big ticket item, I don't shop around. I go straight to Havy's Bike Shop.

Generally, I'll pay extra for quality or service, but it isn't because of the name on the package, it's what's inside.

Prin
November 25th, 2006, 11:55 PM
The one thing I don't cheap out on is bike gear. Two reasons; one, biking is my passion, but number two is that, for the type of riding I do, the brand names really are the quality parts.Yeah, I agree with that. Back in the day when I was snowboarding hard, everything was the best or the best, and that usually meant the best brands out there. My favorite brand (burton) used to hide their logos on the most expensive stuff, which was awesome. The more you spent, the less advertising you wore. My $200 black mitts have teeny dark grey logos on them. And they don't need to. If anybody asks, or sometimes if they don't, I'll tell them gladly what brand they are.:D

Angies Man
November 26th, 2006, 12:25 AM
You don't see many generics anymore.

Housebrands? In the US, some of the house brands (esp. at Kroger and Safeway) are as good or better. House brands of canned veggies like tomatoes, boxed side dishes, etc. are every bit as good as the ones marketed by the major brands. Same with the house brand ice cream, frozen veggies & entres, frozen pizzas, etc.

Of course, my taste buds MIGHT be burned out from years of drinking Starbucks strength, dark roast coffee.

rainbow
November 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I agree Safeway brands are mostly pretty good too. :thumbs up I didn't mention them before because most of the people here don't have Safeway.

LM1313
November 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM
I usually buy what's cheapest, which is either generics or whatever's on sale. :thumbs up

Some exceptions:

toilet paper - the generic stuff isn't soft enough!
Cheerios - most of the "no name" cereals taste just like their counterparts, but not the fake Cheerios
syrup

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it at the moment. I'm really not picky when it comes to food, with a few exceptions. :D

Prin
November 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
paper towel- I can't buy cheap paper towel. You may as well mop up the barf with your own hands if you're going to buy cheap paper towel.:sick:

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM
yeah agree on TP and paper towels - NOT worth it! and nothing replaces real maple syrup that's for sure :cloud9:

i also do not buy any "unknown" brands for electronic stuff, had to return too many "bargain mystery brands" to the store due to shoddy performance and general cheapness. :frustrated:

OntarioGreys
November 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I find the president choice lines is not too bad, the yellow no-name tends to be total crap, for food stuff I tend to prefer brand names for example Bick's baby dills or Polskie Ogorki Pickles. I have tried other brand names and some of the generics but to me the taste just does not agees so I end up throwing out the rest so I am not saving any money same with ketchup I am used to heinz the other brands have too different a taste that they don't appeal to me.

Right now I am using Quikki extra strong 2 ply garbage bags cheaper than Glad and I can actually load garbage in, not like many of the no-name that seem to be designed only to hold tissue paper or bubble wrap at at half full, it is not a saving when I have to use 3 bags to put may garbage in just so I can carry to the curb in one piece :rolleyes:

One of the other things I noticed were that many of the store brands where selling in slightly smaller sizes than the brand name so there was very little savings gram for gram or ounce for ounce so if the saving was only a couple of cents I had to ask myself if it was worth dropping the quality

LynLyn
November 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
OTC medication, I mostly buy generic because my doctor told me it was all basically the same.

I used to buy shampoo that was on sale, but my sister has recently become a hairdresser and I'm now officially addicted to this high end salon brand shampoo that costs an arm and a leg but I justify it with the fact that I'm getting a discount from her being a hairdresser.

Most food I buy is generic, cereal right now I'm on the healthy stuff but I can't find my favorite (Winnie the Pooh) anywhere in Montreal, (along with Smartfood Popcorn)

Frenchy
November 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
but I can't find my favorite (Winnie the Pooh) anywhere in Montreal, (along with Smartfood Popcorn)

:offtopic: And the Poptarts ! We only get 3-4 flavors here in quebec but they are tons of them in U.S. Cereal that I can't find anynore ; Cocoa Puffs.:sad: sorry for the off topic :D

~michelle~
November 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I always but generic brand med, THEY BY LAW have to have the same quality as trade names acetaminophen is acetaminophen, and ASA is ASA.... there is not difference! I cannot cheap on TP and laundry detergent

Prin
November 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Actually, the medicinal ingredients are the same, but the non-medicinal ones might be different between brands...:shrug:

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Most food I buy is generic, cereal right now I'm on the healthy stuff but I can't find my favorite (Winnie the Pooh) anywhere in Montreal, (along with Smartfood Popcorn)

oooh! the "intermarché" grocery stores carry the Smartfood Popcorn :cloud9:

LynLyn
November 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
ahhhh!!!! i'm going to intermarche tomorrow to pick up my pork and SMARTFOOD popcorn!!!

technodoll you seem to be my savior on this forum!!!!!

you get a HUGE :thumbs up from me!

wdawson
November 26th, 2006, 06:51 PM
is smart food popcorn hard to get in quebec ? i can buy it at most corner stores.

LynLyn
November 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM
is smart food popcorn hard to get in quebec ? i can buy it at most corner stores.

really? boyfriend and i have been in montreal (rdp area) for two months now and we've been searching for it everywhere

we're all talking about the one that comes popped, covered in powdered cheese and comes in a black bag right?

technodoll
November 26th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Lynlyn they DEFINITELY have it at the Intermarché on Mont-Royal, corner Coloniale. and i'm pretty sure i saw it at the Intermarché on St-laurent blvd, corner Pins Avenue. so technically they should all carry it :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
November 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Yeah I can even get Smartfood popcorn :cloud9: at the corner stores here in Newfoundland:eek:

LynLyn
November 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
weird maybe it's just not huge in the RDP area?

technodoll
November 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
weird maybe it's just not huge in the RDP area?

the only place i can find it downtown is in the Intermarché grocery stores... quebec is weird that way. you'll find the same stuff in the maritimes and ontario, just a few km of border away, but not in QC! :frustrated:

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Thx for the Kashi info Jeese's mom!! It makes me feel better actually!! I have been eating Kashi products for quite some time now - around the time they started and it was hard to get where I live so I pushed the health food and grocery stores to order it. (As noted, my sister brought a box of the strawberry Kashi when she came to visit and I've been eating it since then. Had to order it when i started tho, sigh!)

I am glad to hear that it really is organic!! It was just last yr that someone - a nutritionist too I think - told me Kashi was owned by Kellogg's so not to think I was getting some great organic product. I was sooooooo disappointed but looking at the ingredients, I still kept eating it - esp like the Sesame or Honey rice cereal and the crunch stuff I keep for snacking. And like the strawberry flakes too. I tried to rice pilaf but prefer the cereal. <g>

I still like alot of Kellogg's stuff too! :) (Is it Kellogg's who make Fruit Loops, I like the Fruit Loops bars which I prob eat too many of but I figure it is better than chocolate bars tho I do know they have enuf sugar!) I am thinking FL are Kellogg's bec they are usually next to K's Frosted Flakes bars.

Anyway --- good to know Kashi really was organic. Tell them not to change it!!! :)

jesse's mommy
November 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM
:offtopic: Yes Kellogg's makes Froot Loops. As for the Froot Loop, Frosted Flakes and Cocoa Krispies, they were discontinued -- at least in this region of the US. I'm unsure if it was discontinued all together or just here. The Kellogg's breakfast bars fall under the snack division which is where I am.

But yes, they are definitely organic and right now organic is the "in thing" which means big profits. So don't be surprised if you see a lot of others -- like General Mills, Kraft, etc. going down the same path. :thumbs up

heidiho
November 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I will not buy generic toilet paper or soda...But since i have moved to Maui pretty much buy whatever else is on sale.......or generic

CyberKitten
November 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
You mean the bars were discontinued?? Ohhhhhhhh nooooooooooo!! They still are available here - I hope that does not change. (and my niece likes Fruit Loops as a snack, the cereal really has too much sugar to be eaten as breakfast food, a recent study showed certain cereal brands (and that was one, had more sugar than certain kind sof chocolate!!). I wonder if that had anything to do with their discontinuation. The bars are very popular here - I am sure the sales are good so cannot imagine they would discontinue them.

Anyway sorry for the :offtopic: That's it for now!

I ate one generic cereal bar and it was awful!!

jesse's mommy
November 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Last time :offtopic: , tell your niece they launched Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes wtih a 1/3 less sugar.

TeriM
November 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I buy a mixture of generic and name brand. I do tend to trust "house" brands almost as if they are a name brand ie. Safeway, Kirkland (Costco), Life, Western Family etc.. Have not been a big fan of President's Choice because have had some real crap from them. Won't shop at Walmart because I believe their employee practices are wrong, wrong, wrong!

Name brand musts include TP, PT, Peanut Butter (Adams!), Ketchup, BBQ Sauce and batteries.

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
generic frozen dinners :yuck:
stouffers frozen dinners :thumbs up

live and learn, eh? LOL

Frenchy
November 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Frosted Flakes wtih a 1/3 less sugar.

I tried those,it's just not the same :( I kept adding sugar :D and they don't stay as crispy in milk :shrug:

Prin
November 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM
lol Yeah, because the impermeable layer of sugar is weakened by 1/3...:D

technodoll
November 28th, 2006, 11:45 PM
i like my cereal crunchy, my hot foods burning hot and my cold foods freezing cold. i want to gag everytime i see hubby pick up his cup of cold coffee, he lets it get that way on purpose! :yuck:

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I do that with toast... Reminds me of Ireland.:o They put their toast in little cooling rack thingies to make it cold faster.:D :shrug:

When I was in Ireland, one of the women I stayed with poured herself a glass of milk in the morning to drink from all day. She'd leave it on the table with a saucer on top. mmm mmm mmmmm!!!

rainbow
November 29th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Yuck :yuck: ...milk has to be ice cold.

Prin
November 29th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yeah, that and FRESH.:D

CyberKitten
November 29th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Oh wow, I have eaten my share of Irish breakfasts (both here and with an Irish grandmother who had to have tea and rarely drank milk - tho gave us lots and we kept it cold! Fortunately, she did not bring that tradition with her.

But I think the thing (well for both Ireland and Britain - dare I put both in the same sentence, lol?) was blood pudding. Ughhhh!! I bet YY ,might have liked them tho. And they had these most wonderful bowls (just like one I have from gram)that they poured the cereal into. Huge things. I found one at Dunne's store and bringing it home was fun (I just hoped it would not break!)
Also had the very worst tuna sandwich of my life I ever had was in Hayes' Hotel in Thurles (pronounced Tur less) in Co. Tipperary!! It's so bad I still remember it. (and keep in mind I have eaten a plethora of horrible hospital food tho the Jewish General's food (did some hematology lectures there and we have an agreement with them re research for something) was good, Once for fun when I was younger (not to suggest I am old, lol) we did a guidebook on the best and worst hospitals to eat at. It's never been an issue for me as a patient (bec I have usually been too sick to eat) but as someone who worked there and was captive to their "meals" (using the term loosely), when I was on call.

I am sorry to have gone :offtopic: again. I did discover Hawaiian Punch (which I love - makes no sense I know, speaking of stuff with sugar) at Children's in Boston tho, lol amg other tidbits like the fact Bostonians refer to milk shakes as frappes. Must be where Starbucks came up with frappuccino, lol

Anyway..... even tho I am of Irish heritage, I have to admit I have never been the biggest fan of certain Irish foods. Tho Dunne's and other merchants in Ireland have these great little snacks that consist of cereal and a wee bit of yogurt on the side in which you dip the cereal. Very tasty!!!