Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Volunteering at local shelter

ByronsMum
November 24th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I am thinking of volunteering at my local animal shelter in my spare time...What job would you take?

1. Exercising the dogs :dog:
2. Assisting staff with daily chores
3. Socializing and grooming the cats :cat:
4. Helping the shelter's board with fundraising events
5. All of the above! I'm a keener! :crazy:

Frenchy
November 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I choose exercise the dogs but I would help with the daily chores too, I don't mind picking up poop and stuff.:o

wdawson
November 24th, 2006, 09:19 PM
we do the dog walks and the cat socialization everyday....3 cats and 2 dogs here.

CyberKitten
November 24th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Well, I think you will find that depending on the shelter you may end up doing a little of everything. I serve on too many Boards and I have done everything from serve coffee to corporate fund raising. I did in this case check socialize with the cats (who could resist that, lol?) but I want to help with the other animals too. <g>

Good luck!! I hope you enjoy the experience and thank you for your contribution to making some animal's day and life better!

mummummum
November 24th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I've sat on and chaired a few boards in my time as well and it's good fun but, generally there are no shortage of volunteers to do that piece. For some people it's a resume builder while others are interested in the service provided or "the cause". If I were to volunteer at my local Humane Society I would probably offer to do the jobs no one else wanted to do if only to see that it is done well and secondly to free up staff/ other volunteers to do the more valuable things like working with and caring for the animals. But that's me ~ I'm happy to "build the house" so that others can "host the party".

TMac
November 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Byronsmom, thank you thank you thank you for considering volunteering!!! :angel:

Personally, I chose to help the cats for a bunch of reasons:

a) at my local shelter, there is no shortage of people lining up to volunteer as dog-walkers. In the volunteer orientation session I went to, I was the only one of about 20 people who was there for the cats and not the dogs.
b) my whole life is about helping dogs and since my husband is extremely allergic to cats, we can only rescue and foster dogs in our home
c) in my local shelter at any given time, there are 5-10 dogs looking for homes and literally 60 cats looking for homes.

But I selected 'all of the above' in the poll for you. Its really dependent on what you feel you can bring as a volunteer and what you feel the most pressing need is. I'd say the best way to decide is to ask yourself where you can make the most impact.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing! :thumbs up

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
hmmm, I would chose to walk the doggies...because walking a dog is fun :D And it gives you a chance to shower him/her with love :love:
I'd probably wind up doing all of the above, but spending time with the doggies would be my fav :o :dog:

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I'd say dog walkies, but then the one we all pick will probably reflect reality.... So whatever one scores the lowest.;)

Maya
November 25th, 2006, 04:33 AM
It's nice to do what you enjoy but I think it's also good to explore a little in area's you're not as familiar so you can learn new things.

I'd want to hang out with the cats and learn stuff like first aid and medical related care for any of the animals.

rainbow
November 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I am thinking of volunteering at my local animal shelter in my spare time...What job would you take?

1. Exercising the dogs
2. Assisting staff with daily chores
3. Socializing and grooming the cats
4. Helping the shelter's board with fundraising events
5. All of the above! I'm a keener!

I would do all of the above. I wish we had a SPCA/shelter/rescue here so I could volunteer.

springermom0406
November 25th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I mostly do transports from the high kill shelters in Virginia to rescues in Upstate NY.

The SPCA calls me when they need me to clean kennels, walk dogs, etc.

And I also volunteer with the English Springer Rescue... doing evals, transports, adoptions, etc.

heyjude11
November 27th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I volunteer in the kitten nursery at an animal shelter, feeding and cuddling the 'babies'. I have also done cat grooming in the adoption rooms, and since the nursery is winding down will probably go back to grooming. I love the nursery of course, but find the cat grooming to be very difficult emotionally. Nonetheless, its not about me, its about the cats.
I would love to be a dog walker but due to a severely arthritic knee I'm not an ideal candidate though I used to be a dog walker/pet sitter on my own.
In my world there's no such thing as "that's not my job". I've cleaned cages (and kittens), swept nursery floors, retrieved supplies (and a few 'escapees') and even washed dishes when the shelter was short-staffed. Many nights my 4:00 p.m. shift has ended at 3:00 a.m.!
I plan to take the adoption officer training the next time its offered.
There's not much I won't do when animals are involved!

chico2
November 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately I cannot handle seeing all these needy animals without breaking down:sad:
I try to do my bit,by collecting blankets,pillows,pet-beds,pet-dishes,toys or anything the HS can use,to keep the animals comfortable.
I also donate $$ every month....but that's it:sad:

Dogastrophe
November 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
My wife and I usually exercise the "observation" dogs. These are the dogs that are not yet ready for adoption and those that do not do well on the normal adoption floor. The dogs on the adoption floor get out several times a day for walks by people looking to adopt where as the obs dogs get out once or twice when there are no volunteers. When they do get out it is usually on their own with no people around, so it is a nice change when they can go out and play catch, play hide and seek, or just get a few mins of head scratching.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 28th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Since 1997, I've been walking, training, grooming and socializing the dogs, cats and small animals :)