Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat has white, snot-like substance near her anus

miriah15
November 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I have a female cat who seems very normal. She's eating and drinking fine, sleeps fine, no excessive cleaning or scratching, or vomiting or diarrhea. However, in the past week there has been a confusing substance in her fur around her anus.
It's about an inch long, and is normally in the fur under her tail and to the sides, but once it looked to be leaking out of her anus. I thought it might be some sort of worm, but when I take it off with a kleen-ex it's snot-like, not solid, it just squishes into gooey liquid as soon as it's in the kleen-ex. It always looks the same.
I researched worms online and none of them seemed to fit my description.
She is not fixed, and is an outdoor cat who doesn't ever use a litter box.

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 02:52 PM
What did your vet say about it?

miriah15
November 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I live in a small town, which there is no vet, so we have a vet that only visits from a near-by city once a month, and the next visit isn't for another two and a half weeks. I'm hoping to get some information before the vet comes.

heidiho
November 24th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Why dont you call one and ask????

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM
After just reading about the momma cat dying while birthing dead kittens and of course no money for a vet,this kind of post makes me very upset.
Not fixed,probably no shots,outdoors,no vet..
I don't know what any white substance coming out of her anus could be,maybe a gland-problem,but if you really love your cat,please see a vet and have her spayed,when the vet comes around:pray:

meb999
November 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I agree that you could call a vet (preferably YOUR vet) and ask him on the phone what he thinks this could be....and if it's serious or not....

i completely agree with Chico...if you don't get your girl spayed, she'll definetly get pregnant (being an outdoor cat and all...) and then you'll be adding to the pet-over population problem...there are already thousands of homeless cats, and thousands getting put-to-sleep everyday :sad:

Maya
November 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with Chico2 and meb999. Please don't let her out until she is spayed and has her shots.

miriah15
November 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM
of course I will be taking care of all that, she was a stray that we've taken in, and we just can't afford to travel hours away to get everything done up right away. thanks for the quick responses

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Thank's,that's good to hear:cat:

Maya
November 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Very good to hear!! Thanks for letting us know.:)

heidiho
November 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Just curious where do you live??

miriah15
November 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I live in Atikokan, Ontario, Canada. The closest vet is Nor-West in Fort Frances which is a few hours away. There's no service here for pet emergencies; there's only about 3000 people here.:(

heidiho
November 24th, 2006, 06:03 PM
That is horrible,,,guess you wouldnt want to have to many pets there

miriah15
November 24th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but it seems like everyone does :shrug:
Izzie (the cat) seems better today, I haven't found anything in her fur near her bum, and I think it may be because I didn't give her any wet food today. When she first came we gave her dry food, and right around when we switched to wet is when the white snot-like stuff started appearing. So here's hoping that caused something :fingerscr
I'll still be calling the vet though, it's so unusual!

Maya
November 25th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I guess you haven't noticed her scooting her bottom along the ground? I wonder if the mucus type stuff is coming from her anal glands.

miriah15
November 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM
No, she's definitely not scooting around on her butt. She seems completely normal. The vet said it could be a symptom of giving her wet food which she probably isn't used to, so to stop giving it to her and bring her in when he's here which is what I'm going to do

Sariss
November 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Are you sure it is coming out of her anus and not her vulva?
Is it a pus-like substance?

miriah15
November 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Actually we've just found out that she has tapeworms.
Today I found what I thought was the white stuff again, but it was shorter and it turned out to be moving!
Apparently cats can have tapeworms and not show any signs, and often there will be milky discharge for a few days before the first segment of the tapeworm breaks off.
I am very worried and I am going to call the vet tomorrow morning and ask if he can call in a prescription to our small pharmacy here because over-the-counter worm medication doesn't work for tapeworms.
My poor kitty! :(
Thanks for all your help!

Prin
November 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Good luck! And if you have kids or other pets, be very careful.

Maya
November 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Glad you figured it out, good luck.:fingerscr Thank you for the update too, I didn't know there could be discharge before the tapeworm breaks off.

rainbow
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I didn't know there was discharge either. :shrug: Keep us posted after you get the proper meds. :fingerscr

Maya
November 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I came across some good 3D animations of the tapeworm cycle and posted them in the general forum. It's not pretty but very educational if you are up for taking a look.:) http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33324

miriah15
November 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I will definitely keep you all posted.
We think that the field across the street from our house is where she may have eaten an infected mouse (I've only ever found one flea on her). There are a lot of mice, fox and deer that hang out in that field, so it's very possible she caught something from them.
Maybe I should try to turn her into an indoor cat...

Sariss
November 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Since she's not spayed, that would be a good idea. :)

Pike
December 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
This thread has run it's course and will now be closed. Please do not reopen this issue in a new thread.