Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on 'Prayers and Positive Vibes ...'

heyjude11
November 23rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
The vet did a physical and took Sam's temperature. His tummy wasn't sore (Sam's, not the vet's) and his temp. was normal. His only explanation on physical examination was that 'cats sometimes go off their food'. He gave me some pills to stimulate his appetite and said if he doesn't improve or goes downhill he'd run a battery of tests - bloodwork, x-rays, etc. Sam's in the kitchen chowing down on his food right now. He didn't make much of a dent but he seems to be eating a little more every day. I also know by the food bits in his water dish that he's drinking.
It's been a very traumatic day for us both, capped by me having to give him his half a pill. I've pilled other cats before, but never my own. I'm very grateful he's not a biter but I'm definitely not looking forward to seven more days of pills.
Huge thanks to everyone who offered up prayers and good wishes. It really means alot to me.

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
I'm glad it's nothing too serious. Good luck on the eating thing....:fingerscr :grouphug:

heyjude11
November 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks Prin. Sam's been in the kitchen again since my last post and ate fairly well. I think I need more luck on the pilling 'thing' now!

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Good luck on the pilling thing. :fingerscr ;)

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Glad Sam is eating better. Hope he continues to recover. :fingerscr

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 12:14 AM
You can get "pillers" at the vet. I've never used them but I've heard they work well. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

heyjude11
November 24th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Rainbow, the vet gave me a piller. It might work well for whole pills, but for half pills its absolutely useless. Either that, or the one he gave me is a dud.

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Whenever I've had to pill my cats I wrap them in a towel with just their head sticking out. I hold them tight against me with one arm and open their mouth and push the pill back as far as possible and then hold their mouth shut and rub the top of their nose.

I used to stroke their throat but then read that rubbing the top of the nose works better than stroking the throat and, so far, it does for me. :shrug:

heyjude11
November 24th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks Rainbow. I did try that when I pilled my neighbors' cat (who happens to be my cat's birth mom) and altho' I thought I'd got the pill down her we later found it on her fur - and nowhere near her mouth!
Other cats I've pilled, I got them when they were sleeping and the pill was down before they were fully awake.
So what time can you come over?

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 01:43 AM
LOL...well if I leave now I could likely be there by Sunday. :D

Yeah, I know "what works for one cat doesn't always work for another". ;) Some people are really lucky and can hide it in food but that's never worked for me. All I can say is good luck. :fingerscr :D

heyjude11
November 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Great! Will you be here in time for breakfast or dinner?

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM
My Rocky has to take 1/2 pill(hyperthyroidism)twice daily.
My cats get a bit of canned food every day and I give Rocky a little bit,about a teaspoon, with his crushed 1/2 pill in it,stay with him to make sure he licks it all up,then he gets the rest of his food.It works so far..

LibbyP
November 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Really glad to read that Sam had no big issues and that the vet or Sam didn't have an sore tummy:D ;) I do the towel thingy like rainbow as well plus I dip the pill in a tiny bit of butter or marg. it makes it slip down and not get stuck in their mouth so they can spit it later (not saying it works all the time ~ some cats are just sneaky little buggers) it's in their nature:frustrated: Good luck with the pilling and I hope Sam continues back to his normal self soon.:fingerscr