Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ok to move dog?

pamelalauren
November 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I got my puppy Tiffany when I was in grade 5, she was always "my" pet, when I moved away to school she stayed with my parents. Tiffany is 13 years old now, she is healthy and fairly active. I just bought a house (about a 12 hour drive from my parents) and I wanted to bring Tiffany to live with me, I was just wondering if this would cause alot of stress on Tiffany or if it would be ok to move her.

wdawson
November 23rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
in my opinion.......leave the dog at HOME,it really is the dogs home.why put stress on the dog with a move .......thats what i would do...imo

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'd ask myself, is Tiffany looking to me or to my parents as her people? Also, will I be able to give Tiffany the attention she needs if she's with me or will she be alone too much (while you work, do errands, etc.)

If she looks to you as her mom and she'll be getting at least as much companionship from you as she gets with your parents, I say give it a try. If she's too stressed you may have to take a weekend to visit your folks again sooner than you planned to bring her back...but I think if she's bonded mostly to you, then there's a good chance she'll be happy where you are, regardless of it being a new house. (From what I've heard about cats in new houses, and what I've experienced while moving with dogs, I think dogs adapt better to a change in locale than cats do.)

:sorry: so now you've gotten two conflicting opinions :o Not so much help, eh? :frustrated: