Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meet Our New Family Member!!

brandynva
November 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Hi there. We decided to take a ride to look at the collie we saw on our local message board. My heart strings got tugged. I had a collie from when I was 6 years old until 16 and have always wanted one of those gentle babies. The lady said she was shy around strangers, but when we walked up her tail was wagging and I got a gentle kiss in the face without even offering her a cookie! She looks healthy and the lady has been keeping her UTD on shots. She's 2 years old and is house broken too. She's obviously not been trained and has some rather rude manners, like drinking out of the toilet and jumping up on the counters. But she is already showing how smart she is, so I can work with that. She fits right in with the kids and our other 2 dogs. There has been a little pack order establishment but nothing major at all! However, the story of after we picked her up is quite interesting. It was rather cold and nasty and rainy last night. We had to drive about 1 1/2 hours to get her. We put her in the back of the Suburban behind a doggie proof barrier and she came right between the bars and had to just lay with the kids! So anyway, we start down the main highway and hear this THUMP THUMP THUMP.... flat tire, or so we thought. Basically the stems holding the lug nuts had completely stripped off the right passenger side tire and it was flopping around. We got lucky that we broke down in front a big driveway and not on the embankment we had just passed. So we get out and see the damage and there is no way we could fix it and we were miles from teh nearest anything! Fortunately someone had called the State POlice for us and they called the tow truck. Long story short, all the rental car agencies were closed as it is Thanksgiving in the states. They dropped as a hotel that happened to be pet friendly! We were an hour from home and no way to get home! So we stayed in this very nice pet friendly hotel. Sasha did wonderfully! Anyway, we made it home the next morning thanks to relatives, but it has been a ride! So she goes to the vet tomorrow for a checkup and we look forward to having her around for a long time!

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to share it with this amazingly supportive board. Here is a link to our picasa album with some pictures of our adventures. When we get things settled I will post some pictures of new baby with our old ones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kd4hvz/GettingSasha

brandynva
November 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Here's a quick picture with a little mud on her feet:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/Picture019.jpg

And one more taking a nap:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/Picture026.jpg

technodoll
November 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
WHAT an adventure :eek: and WHAT a heartwarming story :cloud9: that made my day, thanks for sharing - i'm not a collie fan but she is gorgeous, totally adorable and beautiful :love: (nice looking family all around BTW)!

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
wooohooo ! I'm so happy for you and your family,she is a beautiful girl ! What's one more right ? What an adventure you all had,you will remember her "gotcha day" for a long time.Can't wait to see picks of them all together !

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Look at that lovely smile! :D She looks very happy to be with you--I suspect she thinks she has a lot of something to be Thankful for now....

brandynva
November 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
She has definetly fit right in. As if she knew she belonged here all along. We will definetly remember her "gotcha" day that's for sure! I will definetly be sharing more pics, especially after she's been thouroughly bathed and groomed. A bath in a hotel tub with a bar of soap doesn't count as a bath in my book! But it did get the dirt off her. lol THAT was a sight! Tiny bar of soap, tiny little cup, BIIIIIG furry dog. Took forever. Anyway, we're having loads of fun.:cloud9:

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
I am so happy for her ! She does already looks comfy :cloud9:

heyjude11
November 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Congratulations on your newest family member. She's absolutely beautiful. What a memorable day for you and your family! Happy Thanksgiving.

rainbow
November 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM
That's quite the adventure you had. :crazy: Sasha is a very pretty girl and I'm sure she'll enjoy her loving new home. :cloud9: Looking forward to more pics. :D

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Yey! Congrats! What a pretty girl and lucky too.:cloud9:

brandynva
November 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Hey everyone! Well, we took our new baby to the vet this morning. She is overall healthy. A little underweight, but negative for worms. She did have two hotspots. They didn't look too bad the vet said. So they shaved her in two places. I'll have to post some pics when I get them. Anyway, she's on antibiotics and a topical spray and I got Frontline for fleas. Her ears were fairly clean, but the vet cleaned them anyway and she got her 3 year rabies vaccination. So, all of that for $68 including the frontline and medication! I was well pleased. I found out the lady was giving her ivermectin which is potentially deadly for collies, but side effects are generally instantaneous, so next month I will start her on Interceptor for heartworm. Anyway, she seems to be doing well. Just thought I would post an update! :dog:

Rottielover
November 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM
congrats on the new addition, time to change your signature now :)

brandynva
November 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM
congrats on the new addition, time to change your signature now :)

:thumbs up You are right! Thanks for the reminder. :D

Frenchy
November 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Wow,your vet must like you ! Only $68 ! :thumbs up

brandynva
November 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Wow,your vet must like you ! Only $68 ! :thumbs up

I certainly can't complain! :D

angeldogs
November 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
congrats on the new addition.she a beauty.