Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When good meat goes bad...

barkley21
November 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM
How long can you keep meat in the fridge before it's no longer safe to feed to your dog? I read somewhere that dogs can eat meat that's a little questionable for people, but it's still fine for them. Is this true? If so, how long would you say meat can stay in the fridge for them?...3 days, 4 days, 5 days?

technodoll
November 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
i say when it starts to smell funky, feel sticky and take on a wierd green tinge... time to toss it, LOL! :thumbs up

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't give it past the human consumption period... Like 48 hours for ground beef, 3/4 days for beef steaks and roasts, and a little longer for some sealed poultry things...

If you're mixing with any kibble, (maybe you aren't but for people reading), the bacteria counts would be a lot higher in older meats than in fresh meats, so mixing would be a lot more risky.

JMO.

mafiaprincess
November 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't normally be feeding questionable stuff, but freaky prefers questionable stuff.. so she doesn't even see the riblettes anymore till they are just over the expiry, or sat on the counter a little while prior to feeding :yuck:

But.. it's a 'meal' alone.. and a kibble meal is like 8-10 hours off so I try to worry less.

Scott_B
November 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I usually only take out of the freezer what i need for the next day or so, but 3-4 days in the fridge is fine. I'm with Techno on the matter though. As long as it doesnt look or smell bad, it should be fine.

I have friends who feed their dogs out side and they may dig up a meaty bone that they had barried a few days before and give it a go.

barkley21
November 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm always so paranoid that every piece of meat I feed him has to be very fresh, so it's nice to know that I can relax and feed meat that's been if the fridge for 3-4 days...provided it's not smelly or slimy of course :p