Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urgent Help with Environmental Allergies

Leelee
November 23rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Hi-one of my german shepherds (age 2) seems to have environmental allergies.She has the chronic ear infections,scratching and chewing of her paws and swelling between her toes.We tried changing the diet to rule out food allergies and nothing has helped so the vet assumes it is environmental.I am wondering if a change of residence from one province to another would change the problem.She now lives in a rainy climate that is quite damp and may be moving her to Ontario where she will experience snow in winter but drier.Or does environmental allergies mean something that she is allergic to in any environment.Her 3 siblings all live in Ontario where she will be coming back to and none have her symptoms.I am also wondering how expensive is it to control the symptoms (medication -wise) as she has been on prednisone but that hasn't lessened the itching.It is so hard to see her suffer with it.

Prin
November 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
IMO, the easiest thing to do is get allergy tests done. The environmental ones are more accurate (and more worthwhile) than the food ones, I'm told.

springermom0406
November 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
You need to get some bloodwork done on him. My dog Riley had the same issues. My vet didn't believe that at 1yr old he could have allergies, but sure enough, he did. Both food and environmental.

The bloodwork will test everything from mold to grass to trees to people & cats. It's about $150-$200 for the bloodwork and IMO very worth it.

badger
November 23rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Have you tried a raw diet. A friend's GSD recovered completely from terrible skin problems when she put him on raw.
I think allergy tests are essential. It would at least give you a baseline to work from.

OntarioGreys
November 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
A move would depend a lot of what the dog is allergic to, as the same allergen may exist in Ontario as there.

Another question what foods, prescription and other wise have you tried
have you tried grain free foods, and different sources of meat?

Has your vet ruled out autoimmune diseases which can also cause skin problems?